New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · ELI5 Capture One

AndrewNYC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ELI5 Capture One

Really like the quality of files out of Capture One for my Fuji X files, but find it really unintuitive. Can anyone recommend a very basic guide somewhere on how to manage a workflow in Capture One? I'm finding it pretty frustrating. The simpler and more broad the overview, the better. Any suggestions?

May 16, 2017 at 09:16 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ELI5 Capture One

Have you looked at their tutorials?

May 16, 2017 at 09:37 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ELI5 Capture One

Try this:

Rocky Nook

Still for version 9 but will get you started, simply.
They also have a more in depth book available which is currently being updated to version 10.

I think the leaning curve comes about due to the different appearance, the way it handles files and the depth of adjustments available. Once you have got through that it is as easy as any other program. Stick at it, it is worth it.

Cheers,

Terry.

May 17, 2017 at 01:57 AM
pshyvers

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ELI5 Capture One

Richard, there are definitely weak elements to the software. It is still growing its DAM capabilities. But, it is overall excellent, with great results & performance, and they seem highly motivated to improve the DAM capabilities.

May 17, 2017 at 05:28 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ELI5 Capture One

The DAM capabilities are getting MUCH better. I am in the process of transferring 70k images from Lightroom.

May 17, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ELI5 Capture One

Hi Andy...

I would urge you to view the tutorials from Phase One as Howard suggested. They're an excellent set to get you up to speed.

If you're more inclined to the written word, I would recommend this book. It is current as of Version 9, but it will definitely provide you more than enough information on how to use the software:

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-One-Pro-Development-Processing/dp/1937538818/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495072424&sr=8-2&keywords=capture+one+pro

Hope this helps.
Tom

May 17, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ELI5 Capture One

pshyvers wrote:
Richard, there are definitely weak elements to the software. It is still growing its DAM capabilities. But, it is overall excellent, with great results & performance, and they seem highly motivated to improve the DAM capabilities.

Hi,
I'm interested to know what you consider to be the weak areas. Since coming back to C1 it pretty much looks to me like they have nailed it. Although to be fair my DAM requirements are probably different to other peoples. Were there any other things you feel weak. I have been through the Aperture and Adobe ringer and have been very pleased with C1 since returning after a few years absence.

Cheers,

Terry.

May 18, 2017 at 03:27 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ELI5 Capture One

I started last night and this helped quite a bit. I'm now trying to think about how to approach switching to capture one from lightroom. Thank you!

Ho1972 wrote:
Have you looked at their tutorials?

May 18, 2017 at 05:27 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ELI5 Capture One

AndrewNYC wrote:
I started last night and this helped quite a bit. I'm now trying to think about how to approach switching to capture one from lightroom. Thank you!

If you are talking about importing your LR catalog into C1, I found a few "gotcha's". C1 will frequently choke if the catalog is very large. I found that exporting smaller catalogs from LR, then importing them into C1 worked fine. I picked 500-10,000 images at a time. No errors, etc. Also, there are some tutorials/articles on what you should do to your collections before importing. Good luck.

May 18, 2017 at 08:32 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ELI5 Capture One

Thanks Egrav. I's contemplating starting from scratch for two reasons. I find Capture One output much nicer and I want to learn from scratch to apply changes to images in a batch and use scripts to become more efficient in C1. If I bring in teh Lightroom catalogue, I'll likely be lazy and rely on my already existing edits and not improve things. Secondly, I essentially have one catalogue in Lightroom with both "artistic" and family work. I want to move into two catalogues in C1. So it will be a long process, but I want to use it to winnow down photos, bring a more cohesive look to photos and break into personal and family work.

May 18, 2017 at 08:38 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ELI5 Capture One

I completely agree with you. I only imported the LR catalogs so that I didn't have to keyword thousands of images. I scrapped everything else. Right now I have 4 C1 catalogs (travel, family, etc). After the dust settles and I am sure everything is OK, I will consolidate some of them.
Best of luck.

May 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM
pshyvers

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ELI5 Capture One

Richard Smith wrote:
Hi,
I'm interested to know what you consider to be the weak areas. Since coming back to C1 it pretty much looks to me like they have nailed it. Although to be fair my DAM requirements are probably different to other peoples. Were there any other things you feel weak. I have been through the Aperture and Adobe ringer and have been very pleased with C1 since returning after a few years absence.

Cheers,

Terry.

I have a large Keyword library, and C1 is slow/clunky/buggy with Keywords (For example I can't move too many Keywords into another Keyword, or it fails). Lightroom was always slick with the ability to jump to a Keyword, AKA "show me all photos with this Keyword". C1 also does not make good use of space in the layout of the Keyword tool, so it feels like I'm peering through a tiny peephole at a giant library. I still haven't figured out how to quickly & efficiently assign keywords to a run of 1k photos, either.

Filtering reminds me of GIMP vs Photoshop. I have eventually been able to figure out how to do most filtering, and C1 might actually allow for more sophisticated filters with "Advanced Filter", but it still seems awkward. LR's four-pane filter I always found very intuitive & easy. Basically, I think I've figured out how to filter in C1, but I can't jump around through keywords & shooting parameters with the same ease.

I think those have been my main problems. I put up with it because a) they have been getting better every release and b) everything else is pretty great. Performance rocks, the adjustment tools rock. The general issue of slightly-awkward UI/UX shows up in other places, but it's at its worst/I'm at my most sensitive about it with the DAM capabilities.

May 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ELI5 Capture One

Understand. I work a different way and don't use keywords, each project gets a new collection or session as relevant. I use colours and rating when I'm selecting but the numbers of files would be a lot smaller. I have heard a number of complaints about C1 as a DAM but from your original post I just wondered if there was anything else. Thanks for your time.
Best regards,

Terry.

pshyvers wrote:
I have a large Keyword library, and C1 is slow/clunky/buggy with Keywords (For example I can't move too many Keywords into another Keyword, or it fails). Lightroom was always slick with the ability to jump to a Keyword, AKA "show me all photos with this Keyword". C1 also does not make good use of space in the layout of the Keyword tool, so it feels like I'm peering through a tiny peephole at a giant library. I still haven't figured out how to quickly & efficiently assign keywords to a run of 1k photos, either.

Filtering reminds me of GIMP vs
...Show more

May 24, 2017 at 03:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.