Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

If I bring an image into PS and then create a duplicate of it. How do you go about aligning to 2 images? Thanks.

May 15, 2017 at 11:42 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

If you simply drag the background layer onto the duplicate layer icon in the layer palette, that will duplicate the layer and it will automatically be pin registered. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Cmd-J or Ctrl-J, Mac then PC to do the same thing. Is that what you're after? A little hard to tell from the vagueness of the question.

May 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

If the layers are exactly the same size, no problem. If you want to drag a portion of a duplicate image, bring it in as the top layer, position it about where you want it and then turn on the 'Screen' layer mode to be able to see through it to the layer below. You can then use the arrow keys to move it up and down, right and left. As you do that, blink the layer on and off with each adjustment until you see no movement or 'jump' on the blinking. Then return the layer mode to 'Normal'.

May 16, 2017 at 04:46 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Thanks all for the help. I know when you don't use layers and just make a duplicate image there are some keystroke commands that will align the 2 images but I don't remember the commands.

May 16, 2017 at 09:18 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Select both layers and then use the 'Align Layers' command in the menu.

May 16, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Steve - Your post is still fairly ambiguous. Originally you said you wanted to " bring an image into PS and then create a duplicate of it". It's unclear if you're familiar with using Layers or not, but your second post suggests that you might not be, which might be creating some confusion in how you're asking your question.

It seems now that you're starting with an image open in Ps and then are actually Duplicating the entire image under the Image>Duplicate menu, and now you want to put both documents together, one on top of the other, pin registered. If that's the case, you can either skip the Duplicate and just duplicate the Background Layer on the original file, which will automatically do what you want. If you want to combine two separate files, and have them pin registered, the easiest way is to use the Move Tool (hit the letter V on your keyboard) and then, while holding the Shift key down, drag the image from one image window to the other. The Shift key will automatically pin register.

This copying between documents is unfortunately made a lot more difficult by Adobe's inane default settings which set your Ps up using the Application Frame and Tabbed images, which are two things I immediately turn off and may impede your progress if you don't do the same.

Peter

May 17, 2017 at 01:51 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Peter Figen wrote:
This copying between documents is unfortunately made a lot more difficult by Adobe's inane default settings which set your Ps up using the Application Frame and Tabbed images, which are two things I immediately turn off and may impede your progress if you don't do the same.

Peter

Looked for Application Frame and Tabbed images in preferences and didn't find them mentioned. When I open a new file (additional) I do get tabs. Is there another/better interface.

Robert

May 18, 2017 at 02:21 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Robert - The Application Frame is under Window Menu near the bottom. You toggle it on or off with a check mark. Tabbed Images is under Preferences>Workspace, then the third checkbox option down.

May 18, 2017 at 05:55 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

I think the key you're thinking about is the Shift key. If you hold down the ship when you drag in the same size layer fro another file, it will pinpoint place it pixel for pixel. I use it without thinking about it.

I meant 'hold down the shift', not the ship!

May 18, 2017 at 10:29 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How To Align Duplicate Image In PS?

Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

May 21, 2017 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.