Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Alien Bee Sync Socket Repair???

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alien Bee Sync Socket Repair???

All three of my AB stobes have sync sockets that are wallowed out. Plug in the 1/8" plug and accidentally bump it, and you're in trouble trying to make a solid connection.

I tried opening up the entire thing to remove the female sync connector from the circuit board, but after all of the solder was soft and/or removed, it still wouldn't come off. Must be hooked in there. Was going to solder a flying lead to the circuit board with a loose-connecting female sync socket on the other end. Then lock the cord so it couldn't pull on the ends connected to the circuit board. Not sure all that makes sense, but no matter, cause I couldn't remove the worn out part.

So has anyone found a way to fix this problem without sending back to PCBuff for expensive repairs? I can't use any of my AB's with the sync cord as they are right now.

Thanks!
Jeff

May 15, 2017 at 01:38 PM
williaty2

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alien Bee Sync Socket Repair???

Have you contacted PCB for an estimate? Their repair department is generally regarded as astonishingly cheap for most repairs. I have an old AB unit I need to send in for the same reason. I tripped on the sync cable and messed up the socket.

May 21, 2017 at 04:10 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alien Bee Sync Socket Repair???

I haven't, thinking they'd be expensive. But since you say they are reasonable, I will do just that.

Thanks!
Jeff

May 21, 2017 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.