FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

New Profoto B1X out

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Profoto B1X out

MayaTlab wrote:
Regarding pack and head systems, what I'd like to see even more is a design like bamboo steamer baskets. The pack would be on top, and then you could attach at the bottom either the battery, or an AC adapter / charger combo, or the battery and then below it the AC adapter / charger combo. You could also charge the battery simply by stacking it on top of the AC adapter / charger (no wire between the charger and the battery).

As regular user of a battery generator in the studio, I agree with this proposal. The junior version is available from Profoto (for Pro-B2/3) and from Hensel (for Porty), although I would be worrying about overheating. Active cooling is preferred when firing repeatedly at full energy, and A/C packs are designed with this consideration.

May 17, 2017 at 11:34 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Profoto B1X out

rico wrote:
As regular user of a battery generator in the studio, I agree with this proposal. The junior version is available from Profoto (for Pro-B2/3) and from Hensel (for Porty), although I would be worrying about overheating. Active cooling is preferred when firing repeatedly at full energy, and A/C packs are designed with this consideration.

You're right, particularly since there would be three areas requiring cooling : the head, if a more powerful LED is used (which could be dimmed on battery power), the capacitors / electronics, and the AC adapter.

I have a few Profoto B2s so that's from this perspective that I'm thinking about how things could be done - no experience here with bigger battery powered packs.

I think that the B2 head can be effectively re-designed to accommodate a more powerful LED. Inside, it's already got a heatsink that's as big as an entire Quadra head, and I guess engineers could find a way to put some form of active cooling in there. A 40W LED might be out of the question, but a 25W one maybe ?

The pack is something else. If recycle times aren't improved on AC power, no need to improve the electronics' cooling, and I could live with it, but then it won't be a fully realised studio / battery powered combo. Cooling the AC adapter could be tricky as it would be narrow and not very thick, not much thicker than an upgraded battery, So yep, tricky indeed. But I guess that's what engineers are for . I have a few ideas on how to do it, but that would be coming from a stupid armchair engineer.

May 18, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Profoto B1X out

kdphotography wrote:

Once your Profoto products are registered, you'll be able to access firmware updates for all products.

Firmware for Canon DSLRs is required for the TTL-C remote---and of course the B1/B1X
B2 up next!

Ken

Good to know. Thanks, Ken!

May 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password