New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

New Profoto B1X out

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Profoto B1X out

A more powerful version of the B1 is out.

The LED modeling light adds 80% more light output, the battery holds 50% more power and finally the B1X has the widest HSS range available on any flash. Looks like a pretty cool update:

http://profoto.com/speed-redefined/int/b1x/

May 15, 2017 at 03:21 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Profoto B1X out

But the best news is that the HSS range is also available on the older B1's via firmware update!! I just updated mine and it works great! Very very happy about this. Way to go Profoto!

By the way if your updating your B1's......the instructions say to take out the battery and wait for 15 minutes or hold the power button down for 1 minute. One minute was not enough time for me. You won't be able to click the update button. Hold the power button down for 3-4 minutes and try again. You'll hear it beep when it connects to the USB.

May 15, 2017 at 03:48 PM
ryuemura
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Profoto B1X out

My B1's are updated to the latest firmware and I have HSS. So, the only difference is the more powerful LED modeling light and the 50% more battery life? It's interesting how there's no price difference as of yet from the B1 and B1X according to B&H. In the promo video, they emphasized how powerful the B1X is, so I was expecting 1000w version...

May 15, 2017 at 06:49 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Profoto B1X out

Yes I'm excited abouty the new firmware update. But maybe a little more cautious than Nathan, and I'll wait a few days to check the firmware doesn't introduce any nasty bugs.

Nathan, it would be good if you can do some in depth tests to confirm all is well and get back to this thread. (You Canon/Nikon/Sony...?)

May 16, 2017 at 06:06 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Profoto B1X out

I forgot to ask to those who have updated...

What is the stability of exposure / colour like when using HSS at the lower end of the power range?

May 16, 2017 at 06:27 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Profoto B1X out

I don't get it, the tag line says "this isnít an update, this is a significant replacement with improvements in three important areas; power, power and power". How is a more powerful modeling light translate to that?

I'm very happy with the HSS range update; this has been long due and the fact you can update the B1 is a great move by Profoto. However, their claim that "the B1X has the widest HSS range available on any flash" is not true as far as I know, the Xplor 600 have had 9 stops of HSS since it was introduced.

Great update nevertheless.

May 16, 2017 at 06:37 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Profoto B1X out

hijazist wrote:
I don't get it, the tag line says "this isnít an update, this is a significant replacement with improvements in three important areas; power, power and power". How is a more powerful modeling light translate to that?

Since when has Profoto's marketing not turned the hyperbole to 11 ?

May 16, 2017 at 09:47 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Profoto B1X out

Nice update from Profoto, that extends to current B1 owners, with a *free* firmware update. No complaints here, though would love to see a more powerful B1 and B2, although that would probably impact my wallet!

The hidden sneaker surprise may be the new OCF Magnum reflector, which was purportedly designed around the flat face of the B1/B2/D1/D2---with a claimed +1.8 f/stops. I have one on order to compare to the stock Magnum. Very frustrating that Adorama lists their products as "In Stock" and then notifies you later that the item is back ordered... That stinks. B&H doesn't do that.

Ken

May 16, 2017 at 01:57 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Profoto B1X out

kdphotography wrote:
The hidden sneaker surprise may be the new OCF Magnum reflector, which was purportedly designed around the flat face of the B1/B2/D1/D2---with a claimed +1.8 f/stops.

+1. I'm curious to see what the results will be like.

May 16, 2017 at 02:43 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Profoto B1X out

ryuemura wrote:
My B1's are updated to the latest firmware and I have HSS. So, the only difference is the more powerful LED modeling light and the 50% more battery life? It's interesting how there's no price difference as of yet from the B1 and B1X according to B&H. In the promo video, they emphasized how powerful the B1X is, so I was expecting 1000w version...

Yes, but the Air Remote is included with the old B1. So if you are looking to add a B1 and already have the remote, certainly buy the B1X.

May 16, 2017 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Profoto B1X out

Awesome update! Does this only apply to B1's? I have two B1's and one B2, wondering is I should update all of them or wait for the bugs...

I love my Profotos. Went through a few strobe makers and nothing comes close (for me) to the portability, ease of use and quality of their products.

Glad to see them moving forward with new products and updates

May 16, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Profoto B1X out

NCAndy wrote:
Yes, but the Air Remote is included with the old B1. So if you are looking to add a B1 and already have the remote, certainly buy the B1X.

I think that promotion bundle with the free Air remote (of choice) when you're buying a B1 is over. At least it is over in Europe.

Now, if they were to redo that promotion with the new B1X, I would have to hide my credit card, I think. Most of the criticism of the B1 that I read was a weak model light when used in the studio and that the battery could have more power. That aligns nicely with the upgraded specs.

Unfortunately, they still don't offer a power adapter so that you could use it for hours in the studio, but I guess they would like to sell those D2's too.

May 17, 2017 at 06:50 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Profoto B1X out

Stoffer wrote:
Unfortunately, they still don't offer a power adapter so that you could use it for hours in the studio, but I guess they would like to sell those D2's too.

They won't have a choice anyway because that's where the market is headed. Hensel Foris for example.

May 17, 2017 at 07:11 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Profoto B1X out

MayaTlab wrote:
They won't have a choice anyway because that's where the market is headed. Hensel Foris for example.

We can only hope. I wonder why a third party hasn't jumped on making a power adapter for the B1, it seems like a great product idea.

May 17, 2017 at 07:25 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Profoto B1X out

Stoffer wrote:
We can only hope. I wonder why a third party hasn't jumped on making a power adapter for the B1, it seems like a great product idea.

Regarding pack and head systems, what I'd like to see even more is a design like bamboo steamer baskets. The pack would be on top, and then you could attach at the bottom either the battery, or an AC adapter / charger combo, or the battery and then below it the AC adapter / charger combo. You could also charge the battery simply by stacking it on top of the AC adapter / charger (no wire between the charger and the battery).

May 17, 2017 at 08:10 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Profoto B1X out

https://www.facebook.com/ness.viggo/videos/10155030110155399/

doesn't look like the low power HSS works so well with the old B1s + fw update.... This is a comparison video at power level 6 (fails with black band at lower frame) and 7 (works ok).

May 17, 2017 at 06:53 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Profoto B1X out

Eyvind Ness wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/ness.viggo/videos/10155030110155399/

doesn't look like the low power HSS works so well with the old B1s + fw update.... This is a comparison video at power level 6 (fails with black band at lower frame) and 7 (works ok).

Maybe he didn't load the firmware properly? Perhaps someone here could verify the lower settings work in HSS. I'm going to buy the B1 with the free remote. I've been waiting for these improvements and the new battery capacity on any spares I buy in the future helps. I think the more powerful modeling light would be nice too, but I need the free remote, and to me the $419 isn't worth the better battery and modeling light.

May 17, 2017 at 08:21 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Profoto B1X out

Apparently it's a 1D series camera. At the same time as the new B1 firmware, Profoto released a TTL-C update to improve HSS sync with a number of Canon cameras. My money is on the remote's firmware, not the B1's.

May 17, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Profoto B1X out

Didn't see the firmware update link on the Profoto site. Does anyone a the link they can share?

May 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Profoto B1X out

Once your Profoto products are registered, you'll be able to access firmware updates for all products.

Firmware for Canon DSLRs is required for the TTL-C remote---and of course the B1/B1X
B2 up next!

Ken

May 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password