New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Shaniko - couple of more

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shaniko - couple of more

Rounding out the set...

The hotel/cafe's claim to fame is once having been a film location. Now closed, we had dinner there about 15 years ago but cannot recall the movie.

As an aside - in another thread mention was made about the disappearance of old structures. If I understand correctly, Oregon law covers all old, historical structures which explains why homesteads sit in the middle of cultivated and irrigated lands. Searching for ghost towns reveals many were destroyed by fire, a common feature of life in the high dessert.

Bob

Entry to school basement?

Organic Fence Post

May 15, 2017 at 09:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shaniko - couple of more

Another fine set. I like the first and last here. Love the double X on the doors and the texture. That structure full of rocks is something I have seen in fence lines, I think they act as a sort of anchor. But not sure what purpose it serves here unless the fence is gone.

May 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shaniko - couple of more

Excellent images Bob. I wonder what happened to the people in the town, why they had to leave.

May 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shaniko - couple of more

lazlo369 wrote:
Excellent images Bob. I wonder what happened to the people in the town, why they had to leave.

Thank you Lazlo,

Short story:

Shaniko was a booming center of the wool industry in the early 1900s (US Olympic Team uniforms were made from Shaniko wool, last winter Olympics).

A railroad was constructed to transport wool and sheep to market, however it bypassed Shaniko marking the beginning of it's decline. Much like the many boom towns from gold mining when ore played out.

Our daughter lives in Prineville, a once booming logging town with three mills. By-passed by a rail line, the town built its own short-haul railway to get logs to major rail-heads. That effort only delayed the inevitable; the rail line is in place but the locomotive runs once a year on July 4th as a part of the celebration. Mills are gone - the last, a small fabrication mill, collapsed from snow storm two years ago; the owner chose to scrap the facility and move on. Much like heavy industry in the eastern part of the US.

Bob

May 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shaniko - couple of more

2 and 4 especially
The town does look like a movie set. Almost expect to see structures support storefront facades from behind.

Scott

May 16, 2017 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.