Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Few from Patagonia

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Few from Patagonia

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

So finally last week I came back from my recent workshop/trip in Patagonia. I was there kind of late this year as I normally go there beginning to mid April (the best time for foliage change), but this year (due to a very late Easter) I was there last week of April and first week of May. The weather didn't cooperate at all, and most days were overcast and/or constantly raining. A couple of weeks would've made a huge difference, I bet. This was my 5th time I visited the place, and I have to say, I still find it incredible and just inspirational, especially for landscape photography. I did see some pumas and condors/eagles/foxes etc. (a lot more than I used to) so I guess for wildlife it's equally good place to go to.
The images you see below were taken at those 3 or 4 days (out of two weeks) I had a decent weather. The foliage image was taken in a light rain, which is great for foliage actually, and overcast sky. I decided to explore little bit more and check some places I don't normally take my group to. I also did only one hike, as oppose to two I always plan to, because of the weather, which obviously I can't control.
Here are the descriptions of each shot....

1. I took this shot of Cerro Torre (kind of hiding in the clouds) after an easy 14 miles hike (round trip). I arrived to this place and was welcomed/greeted with the most incredible show of light I've seen at this location. The sky was just glowing, and the smooth, practically waveless surface of the lake mirrored a stunning reflection. Everyone forgot about the hiking distance after getting this shot

2. Again, I took this shot at the end of April. This is kind of late for foliage as normally peak colors are beginning to mid April. Still, I was able to find many trees full of leaves and vivid colors. And, again, this was taken in a light rain.

3. A moment of breakage in the clouds and overcast sky. I was at the edge of a lake scouting new place and sky opened up for a while. I grab this shot as fast I could. It's a vertical panorama consisting of 5 horizontal images stitched in PS.

4. I shot this pano of Torres del Paine on the last day of my workshop. It started great, and everyone hoped for an awesome sunrise. But, after a few minutes of this "magenta" like glow, the sun completely disappeared, and hid behind thick clouds. So we had no sunrise in Chile, and this is the best there was.

5. This image comes from the same 14 mile hike I did to take the first shot. But, I shot it (zoomed in) from the trail way before I reached the lake you see on the first shot. I was just impressed with the clear view of Cerro Torre mountain.

All images were taken with Pentax K-1 and either Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, or Sigma 35mm f/1.4 for Pentax.
Any thought?

May 14, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Tristan29photo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Few from Patagonia

Very good photos dude ! Your frames from patagonia are very original compared with what we can see in 500px

May 14, 2017 at 06:13 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Few from Patagonia

Your first three images use common techniques but you did with flare - the good kind. When are you heading back?

May 14, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Few from Patagonia

Great set, Greg. Nice to see a fresh take on this heavily shot location. First is my fav, followed by the last.

May 14, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Few from Patagonia

elkhornsun wrote:
Your first three images use common techniques but you did with flare - the good kind. When are you heading back?

Next year after Easter. But, next year Easter is on April first so I'll be going first weekend after that. And, I'm not going with any clients, meaning, I will go to take shots for myself and explore more unknown places. I simply can't do that with 12 people walking with me. So, I'm not going to be staying in a hotel much. Mostly I'll be camping and hiking from the campsite. An easy 2 or 3 miles hike will get me a crazy amazing shot. I already have bunch of locations eyeballed after my 5 trips. I might be taking a couple of friends with me but I'm not running workshop, teaching and be responsible for anyone next year. I just want take shots that I can print large, and the only way to achieve that is to camp near the best location (instead of hiking 7 or more miles from the hotel, and of course going back).

Edited on May 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2017 at 09:23 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Few from Patagonia

Dave Dillemuth wrote:
Great set, Greg. Nice to see a fresh take on this heavily shot location. First is my fav, followed by the last.

Thanks Dave. Are we heading to the Sierras finally or what?

May 14, 2017 at 09:24 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Few from Patagonia

Greg;

Another wonderful set by you. Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate much - but I think you certainly made the most of it. The two from Cerro Torre are great - but I really like the 2nd one - the combination of fall color and water is magic.

Todd

May 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Few from Patagonia

tmiller9 wrote:
Greg;

Another wonderful set by you. Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate much - but I think you certainly made the most of it. The two from Cerro Torre are great - but I really like the 2nd one - the combination of fall color and water is magic.

Todd

Thanks Todd. I had a hard time sharpening that shot (of foliage). Even now it looks a bit crunchy to me.... On my iPhone it looks good though. So are we going to Greenland or you gonna give me another excuse that family is more important?

May 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Few from Patagonia

A great series Gregg. I am a big fan of #2 and #3 in particular.

I heard from some others there around the same time as you that the weather was foul - such a shame I've been twice (but not this year) and tempted to go back again next year with a similar plan to you - set up camp near the locations and be there when the light is good.

May 15, 2017 at 04:02 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Few from Patagonia

all are very nice Gregg

May 15, 2017 at 04:15 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Few from Patagonia

Aztatlan wrote:
A great series Gregg. I am a big fan of #2 and #3 in particular.

I heard from some others there around the same time as you that the weather was foul - such a shame I've been twice (but not this year) and tempted to go back again next year with a similar plan to you - set up camp near the locations and be there when the light is good.

Great! Maybe we run into each other there next year.

May 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM
przero
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Few from Patagonia

Very Nice! #2 and #3 are special.....

May 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Few from Patagonia

Wow what a great set of Images Gregg, all of them are so nice that I can't even decide which one I like the most.

May 15, 2017 at 08:14 PM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Few from Patagonia

These images a stunning! WOW Love em all!

May 15, 2017 at 08:22 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Few from Patagonia

Stunning images. Hard to chose. Voted.

May 16, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Few from Patagonia

Thank you all very much. I have few more so I'll post them later this or next week...

May 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Few from Patagonia

Nice set Gregg. Love the morning colors at Laguna Torre - a pity that Cerro Torre was hidden. My favs are #5 followed by #2. I do wish the center red tree in #2 was not chopped off at the top. Dave

May 17, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Few from Patagonia

Always beautiful shots Gregg!

May 17, 2017 at 08:14 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Few from Patagonia

Gregg B. wrote:
Next year after Easter. But, next year Easter is on April first so I'll be going first weekend after that. And, I'm not going with any clients, meaning, I will go to take shots for myself and explore more unknown places. I simply can't do that with 12 people walking with me. So, I'm not going to be staying in a hotel much. Mostly I'll be camping and hiking from the campsite. An easy 2 or 3 miles hike will get me a crazy amazing shot. I already have bunch of locations eyeballed after my 5 trips. I might
...Show more

I have only gone on two guided trips and one with 7 other participants and the last one with 2 other participants. The 3 people with a guide works much better. But with both trips there was someone who came though they were very sick and very contagious and they gave me their bug so I was miserable during the week.

Few people get trip insurance so they invariably will go even when they should stay at home. I decided group trips are not for my wife and I. Cost difference for us to hire a local guide with a car is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

May 17, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Few from Patagonia

dbehrens wrote:
Nice set Gregg. Love the morning colors at Laguna Torre - a pity that Cerro Torre was hidden. My favs are #5 followed by #2. I do wish the center red tree in #2 was not chopped off at the top. Dave

Thanks Dave. You're right, I do have another version of this shot with the red tree NOT cut off. I'll use that one for all my prints

May 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.