New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

Headed to these countries on Memorial Day and out there for about a month. Not 100% sure what I want to do/see yet, but I imagine some of these days will be spent in the capitals. The other times, my initial plan is to do some hiking and figure it out along the way.

My question to those more experienced is about lodging. Obviously, when I am in the city, there are many options (e.g. hotel, hostel, airbnb, etc.). But when I am out hiking, I am thinking about wild camping, which I hear is a generally accepted practice in these Nordic countries due to the "Every Man's Right" rule. I've only been camping once in my life, and it wasn't truly wild camping. But my initial plan is to invest in an ultralight tent and sleeping bag, and do some solo wild camping when I am out in these countries.

Is it safe as far as bears and wolves? I am not going to be buying a camping stove or anything like that. I'll just rely on food I buy locally and carry in my bag with me. So not a "true" camping experience, more like spending a night here and there in a tent in the wild.

Thoughts? Concerns? Am I nuts? lol

May 14, 2017 at 03:20 PM
Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

Yes, Sweden and Norway is safe regarding bears and wolves. In Finland you have to be a bit more cafeful with bears in certain areas close to the Russian border. The most dangerous animal in Scandinavia is probably the Elk. But I've never heard that an Elk attacked a tent. A couple of years ago I've seen a wolverine close to my tent in Sweden. But normally they are harmless too.

Regarding "wild camping": it's possible in Norway, Sweden and Finland. But strictly follow the rules. If you are on private land (or unsure where you are) ask the owner or local people for a permission. In many national parks wild camping is forbidden. And of course don't leave any garbage. And I would not try any wild camping close to bigger cities.
In Denmark it's not a good idea. Just use a campground there.

Boris

May 15, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

Bobu wrote:
Yes, Sweden and Norway is safe regarding bears and wolves. In Finland you have to be a bit more cafeful with bears in certain areas close to the Russian border. The most dangerous animal in Scandinavia is probably the Elk. But I've never heard that an Elk attacked a tent. A couple of years ago I've seen a wolverine close to my tent in Sweden. But normally they are harmless too.

Regarding "wild camping": it's possible in Norway, Sweden and Finland. But strictly follow the rules. If you are on private land (or unsure where you are) ask the owner or
...Show more

Thanks for the info! After doing a bit more research, I actually might reschedule the trip to next early spring so I can see the Northern Lights as well. The plan was for most of my trip to be in the northern parts of these countries and I've read that June is hell-ish for mosquitoes and other flying bugs. I don't want to have to deal with constantly wearing insect repellent and head nets, and all that. I'd rather just reschedule for a more pleasant time to go. Unless you tell me it's not THAT bad? lol

May 15, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

June and July are the worst months regarding mosquitos. But it depends a lot on where you are. And if you want to they can be avoided. If you are in a forest or swamp there are likely millions in June. But if you are up in the mountains "fjell" or at the Norwegian coast there are only few. The more wind there is the less mosquitos. Just plan your trip accordingly. The mountains around Abisko and between Abisko and Narvik are beautiful as are of course the Lofoten and Vesterålen.
One big advantage of June is that you have typically the most stable weather and the least rain.
For landscape photography the best time is probably end of August / begining of September: lovely autumn colors, no mosquitos and sometimes already northern lights. And lots of tasty wild berries and mushrooms to collect. But be prepared for snow and take a 4-season tent and a winter sleeping bag in September.

Boris

May 15, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camping in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

Bobu wrote:
June and July are the worst months regarding mosquitos. But it depends a lot on where you are. And if you want to they can be avoided. If you are in a forest or swamp there are likely millions in June. But if you are up in the mountains "fjell" or at the Norwegian coast there are only few. The more wind there is the less mosquitos. Just plan your trip accordingly. The mountains around Abisko and between Abisko and Narvik are beautiful as are of course the Lofoten and Vesterålen.
One big advantage of June is that you have typically
...Show more

My assumption is that most of the good hikes are in the northern parts Finland, Sweden, and Norway. Specifically, I was looking at hiking in Lapland in Finland. Just found out that I can't get my points refunded so another quandry.

May 15, 2017 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password