Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

Hi all, picking up a used 5d mark iv for a good price over new, but the seller (who seems on the up and up) doesn't have the original warranty card as he sent it in already. As far as I know, there isn't a visible way to check if a 5d mark iv is us model versus grey market that I know of aside from that?

May 14, 2017 at 09:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

Canon could probably tell from the serial number, but it really doesn't matter. The only time that US vs. grey market might make a difference, is if you're looking for warranty service, but since Canon warranties aren't transferrable, it wouldn't qualify for warranty service, even if it is a "US model".

May 14, 2017 at 09:40 AM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

There are two parts to the registration, one goes to Canon, you keep the other. But as has been stated, it probably doesn't matter unless this makes you distrust the seller.

May 14, 2017 at 09:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

The warranty registration card is a marketing tool. Warranty service doesn't require a warranty card (registered or not); it requires a copy of the original purchase receipt.

May 14, 2017 at 09:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

There should be no difference in the physical product and you have no warranty anyway on used product. I would advise confirming that the model is the WG since some regions do not have the same or any WiFI and/or GPS modules.

EBH

May 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

EB-1 wrote:
I would advise confirming that the model is the WG since some regions do not have the same or any WiFI and/or GPS modules.

EBH

That would be the main difference... along with possibly a different battery charger than what is supplied for the North American market.

May 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

sungphoto wrote:
Hi all, picking up a used 5d mark iv for a good price over new, but the seller (who seems on the up and up) doesn't have the original warranty card as he sent it in already.

Outside of this forum, I don't think I've ever heard of sending in a warranty card - it must be a USA thing?

May 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

molson wrote:
Outside of this forum, I don't think I've ever heard of sending in a warranty card - it must be a USA thing?

As stated earlier, it's a marketing thing when someone is trying to sell their product - doesn't mean a bowl of beans to me if I a interested in buying.

May 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

sungphoto wrote:
Hi all, picking up a used 5d mark iv for a good price over new, but the seller (who seems on the up and up) doesn't have the original warranty card as he sent it in already.

molson wrote:

It's an old school thing.
Some companies have provided an extended warranty or rebates that are contingent of submitting the card.

EBH

May 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

EB-1 wrote:
It's an old school thing.
Some companies have provided an extended warranty or rebates that are contingent of submitting the card.

EBH

For many years, when you bought a camera or lens in Canadian stores, the salesperson would keep the warranty card, because they got a "spiff" (kickback) from the manufacturer for every one they turned in. They don't do that any more, so now the gear always comes with a warranty card.

May 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

You can try calling Canon. They may not be able to tell you if it's USA vs grey market but if the owner sent in the warranty card they may be able to verify that the body was registered with Canon.

May 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

If it is an official Canon camera then grey imports are exactly the same product as ones purchased through 'official' channels - they are 'grey' imports because of the route they took into the country, nothing else.
I read on one reputable site (can't remember which) that the serial number of the camera gives no clue as to whether it was supposed to be sold in the American, US or European market so they have no idea if it is grey import.

May 14, 2017 at 01:45 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

The warranty card allows Canon to send you notices in the event that there is a service notice, and more importantly, they can send you advertising.

However, they ask for a copy of your sales receipt to provide warranty service. If you don't have one, they go by date of manufacture, or at least they did in the past.

US and Canadian chargers plug directly into a 110V AC wall outlet. Most of the rest of the world gets a charger with a power cord. (The cord is changed out for different countries with different outlets). If the Canon charger has a power cord, its gray market.

May 14, 2017 at 01:52 PM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

I have a grey 5D4 and there is no visible difference... same camera, same manufacturer with all the same features including wifi and GPS. The only difference in the package is the charger which has a cord instead of the flip out plug.

May 14, 2017 at 02:37 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

Under US law, a company cannot refuse warranty service because of lack of a warrantee card. Don't know about other countries. As others have mentioned, the warrantee was used in getting marketing information about the buyer, and possibly contacting the buyer for updates.

Wifi frequency rules are different in some countries, so there may be some differences. Most of the frequencies are available just about everywhere; there are just a few additional ones that become available /unavailable in some jurisdictions. Battery charger plugs could be different, as would the boiler plate language on the charger itself. Manual language could be different. Some Rebel cameras have a different model number scheme in some areas, IIRC.

AFAIK, most of the US gray market items are completely in English with US battery chargers. I would not worry about your prospective purchase.

May 14, 2017 at 02:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Visible differences between US and grey market canon 5d mark iv?

David Garcia wrote:
I have a grey 5D4 and there is no visible difference... same camera, same manufacturer with all the same features including wifi and GPS. The only difference in the package is the charger which has a cord instead of the flip out plug.

My experience too.
And of course sans warranty card.

May 14, 2017 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.