Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Liquidstone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I now use AI servo almost full time when shooting birds whether static or active, and I'm wondering how long USMs of big whites will last. I reckon sportshooters who have used AI servo on a regular basis for years will be more knowledgeable on this.

TIA,

Romy

May 13, 2017 at 11:30 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I wore out the USM motor on my 70-200mm f2.8 IS v1. It's my understanding it's somewhat similar in design to the ring USM of the 300/400/500mm superteles.

Took 10 years of amateur use. I wouldn't shy away from using it however you need it or like to use it, as the replacement was reasonable, around $350 Canadian. It was clearly designed to be replaced for professional users.

May 13, 2017 at 11:53 PM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I was likewise told that the USM of my 70-200/2.8 IS was on its last legs after 7,5 years of active (though not to the extent of day in, day out sports shooting) use, and God knows how long / active by the previous owner. This may or may not have been indicative of this model's performance. No idea about the bigger whites though - these are still a kind of Holy Grail to me.

May 14, 2017 at 06:57 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Everything is prone to fail at one time or an other nothing is bomb proof this is why cycle my gear i don't keep my stuff more longer than 5 year max.

Francois

May 14, 2017 at 09:45 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Well, Romy, since you set it up for me, no, but I have had them wear me out.

May 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

note to self... no used gears from francois or qc_mountain. :-)

qc_mountain wrote:
Everything is prone to fail at one time or an other nothing is bomb proof this is why cycle my gear i don't keep my stuff more longer than 5 year max.

Francois

May 14, 2017 at 01:40 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I've had my 70-200 IS II for about 6 years now and do about 60-70 events with it each year and so far it is still going strong. I had a 70-200/2.8 non-IS for the 6 years before that and never had an issue. It's hard to believe that Canon doesn't anticipate heavy usage from pros for L's like that.

I do about 30-40 events each year with the 100-400mk2 and 300/2.8 IS II but have only had them for about 2 years.

May 14, 2017 at 01:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I've broken the USM unit on two lenses (35/1.4L, 70-200/2.8L IS), and had one wear out (24-105/4L IS).

My 300/2.8L IS and 500/4 L IS are still going strong.

May 14, 2017 at 01:58 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Thanks guys for the responses.

I've used my 400 5.6L for over a decade at BIF shooting (albeit not on a daily basis) and it succumbed to fungus first before its USM was worn out.

My previous 500 f4 IS was also heavily used at BIFs for about ten years before I sold it in great condition a couple of years ago.

From the feedback so far, and from my personal experience, it appears that wearing out a USM is not a probable cause of early failure of birding L lenses.

May 14, 2017 at 05:23 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Liquidstone wrote:
From the feedback so far, and from my personal experience, it appears that wearing out a USM is not a probable cause of early failure of birding L lenses.

One concern I have is whether or not the IS module is a weak point for these lenses. I shoot a lot on a boat and with wave and engine thrust, there's a lot of external movement, sometimes to the point even I lose my balance. I find myself quickly swinging the lens to where the action is as well as the boat driver is often repositioning the boat to chase the fleet or reversing the engine abruptly to stay out of race tracks.

A lot more than say a birder or nature shooter whose long lens is on a Wimberley or monopod.

Has anyone broken or worn out an IS module on a 300/400/500/600 etc?

May 15, 2017 at 12:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

I've used the 24-105/4 L IS and 70-200/4 L IS a lot for shooting boat, ship, and helicopter operations at sea, usually in high sea states, and the 24-105mm from a sea kayak. Aside from the salt water, I don't think this is a very challenging motion environment for the camera and lens, at least not while you're holding the camera and/or shooting. OTOH, in a small high speed boat, the vibrations from high-power engines and especially from hull slamming can cause problems if the lens is put down on a solid surface, or it swings into something hard (like the side of the 'wheelhouse', or a stanchion).

May 15, 2017 at 04:02 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

jcolwell wrote:
OTOH, in a small high speed boat, the vibrations from high-power engines and especially from hull slamming can cause problems if the lens is put down on a solid surface, or it swings into something hard (like the side of the 'wheelhouse', or a stanchion).

I agree, I worried about that as well. The first time I shot with my 300mm, I used a monopod, but the vibration from the outboard went through the hull and right up to the camera. So I only shoot hand held.

When not shooting, I put the camera/lens in a "crib", which is a wooden box I made lined with 3/4" packing foam. It's long enough for a body plus 300 and extender and I hope it reduces the effects of vibration from the engine. It also makes handing the entire setup to someone on the dock a lot easier.

My other idea was to buy a giant Pelican for it, but it seemed rather expensive and more difficult to manage.

I'm hoping these little precautions keep my lens healthy for several more years, I'm always a little scared as it was a lot of money for me

May 15, 2017 at 09:49 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

install rubber or elastomer o-rings at the foot and the ballhead. they may not completely eliminate but will dampen any transmitted vibrations. :-)

May 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

tntcorp wrote:
install rubber or elastomer o-rings at the foot and the ballhead. they may not completely eliminate but will dampen any transmitted vibrations. :-)

Thanks, I will have to try that out.

As a side note, in my quest to buy a good 300mm, I did see a ex newspaper 300mm being traded in at a dealer about five years ago. Had the papers asset tag on it. Wow, was it in rough shape! Looked like it has been dragged through a sandpaper factory. Hood was missing, and it looked like it had never been used anyways. The USM module was malfunctioning. But when manually focused, the lens was still sharp as a tack. These things are built like tanks for guys who hammer on them day in and out!

May 16, 2017 at 07:46 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Regular usage is likely easier on a USM motor than letting it sit for months at a time. Certainly, moving parts wear, but lubricants dry and harden more often if not in use.

May 17, 2017 at 10:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

tsangc wrote:
... I did see a ex newspaper 300mm being traded in at a dealer about five years ago. Had the papers asset tag on it. Wow, was it in rough shape! Looked like it has been dragged through a sandpaper factory. ...

The last newspaper 300/2.8L IS that I saw in the local repair shop was in two pieces, split more-or-less right in half.

May 18, 2017 at 08:36 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

.. Big Whites' don't wear out .. they just fade away

Jefferson

May 18, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

tsangc wrote:
Has anyone broken or worn out an IS module on a 300/400/500/600 etc?

I've never broken an IS unit on L lenses so far. Even the OS in my Sigma 18-200 is still working after almost a decade, even with much use in video where the OS is always on.

In my case, it looks like lens failure/retirement will probably occur according to the following degree of likelihood:

1. Fungus
2. Accident/theft
3. IS/USM failure

May 19, 2017 at 06:49 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

This type of problems are mainly related to abuse and sometimes manufacturing problems, which usually show up during warranty. In hot and humid locations fungus can be a problem, so keep the equipment in places with good air flow.

May 21, 2017 at 07:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has anybody ever worn out a big white USM?

Liquidstone wrote:
In my case, it looks like lens failure/retirement will probably occur according to the following degree of likelihood:

1. Fungus
2. Accident/theft
3. IS/USM failure

Interesting way to frame it, Romy. My top-three list is:

1. Damage
2. IS/USM failure
3. Left behind/stolen

I'm my own worst enemy, when it comes to dropping, throwing, dunking, and otherwise damaging equipment. I've had IS and/or USM fail at least three times (twice for reason 1), but none were "big white" lenses.

Ten years ago, fungus would have been number two on the list, but I've since bought a dry cabinet, and I don't accept used lenses with fungus or haze in them.

May 21, 2017 at 09:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.