FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Does this count as 'landscape' ??

krug
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Ready and waiting for the first crop from the rich black soil of a large vegetable growing area - waiting for spring to begin the production schedule of three harvests off to the stores.

Thanks for looking and views and comments appreciated.

May 13, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

It is a fine image and I have no quibble with it being here in this forum. However, as conventionally understood, this is not 'landscape landscape' - for that you would have to show, say, more of the countryside behind the tractor.

May 13, 2017 at 03:52 PM
krug
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I could not argue with that Rathan however it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else on FM ... SO having sneaked it in under the counter what do people think of the image ??

May 13, 2017 at 03:58 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Does nothing for me. What are you trying to show with it?

May 13, 2017 at 06:41 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

it would fit into a sequence of farming shots

and if you had one of the tractor plowing that one would be a landscrape photo

May 13, 2017 at 07:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

This is not a Landscape, not in any sense. It's a photo of manufactured activities. Not really sure where you would post it, but for myself, I would never post this as a landscape photo if it was mine.

Jim

May 14, 2017 at 12:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I wouldn't have even posted it.

Sometimes, If I have a picture that doesn't fit I'll find the appropriate lens or camera body thread in a gear forum and post there.

Part of learning landscape is knowing what a landscape is. The presentation threads are for specific genres.

May 14, 2017 at 01:47 AM
krug
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Aologies for the upset that I seem, innocently, to have caused.

May 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM
blueshadows
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

John,

I do agree with Rajan's comments, and those from rw11; but as soon as I saw the photo, I knew it would receive negative commentary from "The Traditionalists." And so it did.

My first impression? You were showing a landscape that has been altered by man-just that tease of green behind the (green) tractor to suggest the scene was once quite different. Now, it's literally boxed up.

Technically: very sharp, carefully composed, and interesting. I almost didn't notice the rooftops sneaking in up there. The foreground tracks are likewise a subtle element.

I visited your Web site after reading through this thread, and your work in photography, painting, and sculpture demonstrates that you do know what a landscape is. Very well, indeed. As you've shown here.

So, please don't allow a few to spoil your enjoyment of posting on the forum. They're good at shouting, but most of us, as you've seen, will take a bit of time to comment constructively, and give honest opinions.

Bill

May 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

no upset; not a problem

and much better than a thread on cat photos

May 15, 2017 at 12:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I like it.
Thanks for posting !!!

May 15, 2017 at 12:25 AM
juststeve

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I like this, thanks for posting and thanks for taking a bit of grief for doing so.

Perhaps horizons need to be broadened here for what constitutes a landscape photograph. With 7-8 billion people on the planet, not many places are "untouched" by human presence. Yet, that is the ideal seemingly most of us here are trying to attain. I like that someone is trying to make a work of art that is not the norm here on FM.

Please understand I am not critical of the norm here on FM; personally, I am trying to raise my own landscape photography to the level which I see here. But I do appreciate Krug's work and hope to see more. I think it will improve what I do and broaden my approach.

May 15, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

How I usually choose to view photos here is like this: I look for new photos with low views and comments; following that, I expand my search to ones I haven't viewed with lots of comments; then I might do a quick scan for location names or titles that stand out to me. If I happen to click on one that really offends my sense of taste I quit viewing the site, and often close my browser in the process! This happens from time to time, but certainly not in this case.

I like the photo and am thankful to have viewed it. It's simply interesting to look at and makes me think. I would take the mixed response here as a powerful compliment.

There might be a better category here somewhere for it, but then again the great American landscape is alive with scenes just like this and many that aren't nearly as photogenic--it's not all majestic coastlines and national parks!

May 15, 2017 at 02:59 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I don't feel like it's a landscape as the majority of the picture is made up of man-made objects. However I do think it is a fine photo. I took an interest in the photo, asked myself questions about the photo and spent a little bit of time studying the photo. A successful photo in my humble opinion.

May 15, 2017 at 05:11 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Maybe Fred can move this photo to the Sony FE images forum.

May 15, 2017 at 05:34 AM
krug
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Thank you for ALL of the comments - I always enjoy hearing from, and learning from, the vast depth and range of views here on FM which is precisely why I lurk here so much.

Personally I believe that 'Landscape' needs to include more than the spectacular and that it is essential to include interesting aspects of the more down-to-earth realities of our more common environments - which inevitably in the modern world will include the intrusion of 'the hand (and footprint) of man'.

I enjoy most aspects of 'landscape' and hope that FM will continue to encourage variety and experimentation.

May 15, 2017 at 01:24 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

No, this cannot be considered a landscape image.

Here's a photo Club's definition of a landscape image:

Images of landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes and nightscapes being the dominant subject. People can appear in the image.

Example Subjects:
a. Landscape: An image showing a land scene, which is the predominant feature of the image and the rest of the image being water and/or sky.
b. Seascapes: An image of a body of water either salt or fresh, such as an ocean, sea, lake, or any deep, broad river. The water being the predominant feature of the image and the rest of the image being land and/or sky.
c. Cityscape/Nightscapes: Any view of a city, especially large urban centers.

May 15, 2017 at 02:41 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

I have to strongly disagree. Cat photos are fine and I would love to see more of them!

rw11 wrote:
no upset; not a problem

and much better than a thread on cat photos

May 15, 2017 at 02:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

There's where it belongs ... in the Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Olympus image thread, depending on what camera was used.

And if you have any doubts as to whether it's a landscape, nature/wildlife, or portrait category, you should post it on the camera image thread forum.

dalite wrote:
Maybe Fred can move this photo to the Sony FE images forum.

May 15, 2017 at 02:49 PM
krug
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does this count as 'landscape' ??

Sorry bobbytan to disagree with you but personally I do believe this to be a landscape image - just not a conventional one !

But let us not waste time arguing and just get on with our work - there is surely room enough for a little leeway.

May 15, 2017 at 04:57 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password