Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

Hi,

Has anyone opened up the Profoto B2 battery and replaced the battery with a third-party battery? Is this possible? It seems to be a very small battery. I had one for 15 months and it died prematurely due to one of the cells dying. I would like to have this old unit as a backup battery without having to spend another $250.

I am also looking for Acute 600b LifePo replacement battery and trying not to have to pay $600 for it. Someone said the Tenergy battery works as a replacement but it seems to be discontinued and the wrong Wattage hour.

Thanks.

May 12, 2017 at 06:24 PM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

I've popped mine open and it's using samsung cells with the corresponding model number indicated.
It's possible to re-cell it yourself I think but what I haven't figured out is how to disconnect
the board, terminal, and body without damaging the unit.

May 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM
sjabraha

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

Hi, Did either of you have any luck with finding someone or some way to re-cell the Profoto B2 battery? I had the same issue as Piny. Just stopped working.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

sjabraha wrote:
Hi, Did either of you have any luck with finding someone or some way to re-cell the Profoto B2 battery? I had the same issue as Piny. Just stopped working.

Just quoting zurkzees from another profoto thread here, I've never used these guys but hope it helps you:

zurkzees wrote:
Contact
http://www.silvinosproflashrx.com/

If I remember correctly its $350 for conversion/re-cell to LiFe battery.
Had mine done and the battery is now 4.8lbs with a total weight about 18lbs with the pack.
Originally it was around 27lbs total. This is on a 7B.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:34 PM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

To clarify the info above is for the B2 is for the old analog Profoto Pro 7B(2/3).
Still holds full charge 3+ years btw.

The new Profoto B2 apparently has no re-celling service available.
Profoto is going with buy new battery each time your cells go bad.

Although looks like a possible DIY once you open it up it is more involved with
desoldering batteries to the circuit board and combining Samsung cells together.
I think less than $50 the corresponding cells online.

I’ve moved on from the new Profoto models so I didn’t explore DIY re-celling.

Nov 20, 2017 at 06:44 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

I was searching for the 7b2 LiFePO4 pack upgrade and if it was okay to use the LiFePO4 without the upgrade. Anyways I'll keep on searching. I'll add to this thread since it is fairly recent tho.

EDIT: I can't tell if you guys are talking about the b2 or the b2 (Profoto's naming on this one is idiotic)

But I just got done re-celling 4 battery cassettes w/ SLA's. The replacements were 12v/12ah 2 packs @$25 a battery (Neptune brand on Amazon). It's fairly easy, undo all the screws/torx (careful of stripping) except for the 2 on the fuse bank. Peel it apart like bandana and turn it over, wiggling out the battery. Use a cheap solder pump/sucker to desolder the 2 leads from the battery terminals. Then redo the process backwards to install the new SLA. I tagged each m3 insert with a dab of super glue because I had 2 strip that I had to drill out. Also you will probably need to replace the rubber bands that you put around the SLA's to keep everything snug. Good luck.

May 21, 2018 at 09:08 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacing Profoto B2 battery cell?

@voidsherpa Yeah, Profoto product naming is always universally ill-conceived. For example, how many ways can you combine "Fresnel", "Zoom", "Spot", and "Pro"? And what about the progression of models D1, D2, D4? Totally nuts.

I understand LiFePO4 as deployed by Profoto for their packs is completely compatible with SLA, with differences in end-of-charge handled within the battery. Third-party batteries like Tenergy have gone AWOL. Fortunately, generic SLA is widely available (I use Power-Sonic). Thanks for the Pro-B2 recell description.

May 22, 2018 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.