New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

It has been said, that one can switch the on off lever and the multi-function lever so that I could turn on the E-M1 with my right hand.

With the latest firmware, how to do this seems to be alluding me, and I can't find it on the net. So, please, how is this accomplished?

Thanks.

May 12, 2017 at 06:46 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Cogwheel-B-Fn Lever/Power Lever. Set to Power 1 or Power 2.
English manual page 113. Great idea. I just switchwed mine.

With these settings, the power lever has no function.

May 12, 2017 at 06:56 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

As a side bonus, if someone steals your camera it should confuse the hell out of them.

May 12, 2017 at 07:02 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Thanks for the quick reply. This one had me feeling like I don't need a new camera, I need a new brain.

and yes, who would steal a camera that never comes on!

May 12, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Dan, I'm confused. I'm with firmware 4.3, and have the latest version 4 manual, but there is no mention of this on page 113 nor elsewhere I can find, and no matter how I comb through the menu - I'm stumped?

Under cogwheel B I have:
Button Func
Dial Func
Dial direction
Mode Dial Function
Lever Function
Lever 2+

and none of those contain any reference to power.

May 12, 2017 at 07:28 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

so I did a full reset ... and now the Mode dial function is greyed out. Add to my above question, how to get that back?

Could there be a difference between the USA firmware and other places?

May 12, 2017 at 08:07 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

It's on page 113 for the manual of the E-M1 MKII, not 100% sure the MKI can do this. I did a quick search through the PDF manual and came up empty.

May 12, 2017 at 08:08 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Ok ... I discovered what the prob is. I was asking about the E-M1, not the E-M1 ii.

It seems to be that Olympus did NOT give us a backwards compatible choice in this regards, in a firmware update. They seem to insist I upgrade to fix this switch annoyance. This is a big deal as I keep the Olympus gear for my long distance bicycle touring, and I'm shooting one handed enough to make this a big deal to me.

Do any of you think Olympus will add this to the E-M1?

May 12, 2017 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Farrell
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Pavel wrote:
It has been said, that one can switch the on off lever and the multi-function lever so that I could turn on the E-M1 with my right hand.

With the latest firmware, how to do this seems to be alluding me, and I can't find it on the net. So, please, how is this accomplished?

Thanks.

I've read in the manual about how to do this, but I don't understand why it would be an advantage to use the lever as an on-off swtich instead of the on-off switch on the top left where it is by default. I use FN Lever Function set at mode 3 so that lever position 2 changes to movie mode with the settings I've chosen in the movie setup menu choices. I acknowledge that different strokes for different folks meaning it's a matter of personal preference. Bottom line is I am just trying to understand what's the advantage of using the lever for on-off?

May 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

He explained it in the post above yours.

James Farrell wrote:
I've read in the manual about how to do this, but I don't understand why it would be an advantage to use the lever as an on-off swtich instead of the on-off switch on the top left where it is by default. I use FN Lever Function set at mode 3 so that lever position 2 changes to movie mode with the settings I've chosen in the movie setup menu choices. I acknowledge that different strokes for different folks meaning it's a matter of personal preference. Bottom line is I am just trying to understand what's the advantage of
...Show more

May 13, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

bobbytan wrote:
He explained it in the post above yours.

I read his explanation. It is for a E-m1 ii, and does not work for my camera, the E-M1. I've got the latest firmware and read in several posts by people who had not apparently paid attention to the fact that this is not available on the E-M1 - but rather only on the confusingly similarly name E-M1 ii.

May 13, 2017 at 01:08 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

James Farrell wrote:
I've read in the manual about how to do this, but I don't understand why it would be an advantage to use the lever as an on-off swtich instead of the on-off switch on the top left where it is by default. I use FN Lever Function set at mode 3 so that lever position 2 changes to movie mode with the settings I've chosen in the movie setup menu choices. I acknowledge that different strokes for different folks meaning it's a matter of personal preference. Bottom line is I am just trying to understand what's the advantage of
...Show more

Because I bought and use the Olympus stuff mostly for one reason. I do long multi week bicycle trips and have a rando bag in front in which I keep the camera. I use the camera as I go and only with one hand, the other is on the handle-bars. Lately I've instead been taking my Fuji gear with me instead, due to the fact that I can operate the camera with one hand (and besides don't understand this boneheaded Olympus decision, they should get a clue from other manufacturers that know ergonomics, like, well just about everyone else).

Fuji's been working out much better for me, but I like the lower size and weight of the Olympus system. I carry two bodies and two lenses. I am planning a cross country trip, so was happy to hear that I now had a choice. The Fuji 55-200 just barely squeezes in my rando bar bag, whereas the Olympus, 45-150 is an easy fit.

But peoples post, those who suggested that this works on the E-M1 turned out to be inaccurate. This feature seems, thus far, to only be a fix in Olympus' latest body.

I hope they get around to a firmware fix for my E-M1. I don't understand why they should not unless they want another checkmark for people to be forced to upgrade.

No camera is perfect, but Olympus keeps changing ergonomics as if they really didn't have a clear direction yet. This on off switch is the lamest of any I've ever seen. Their model naming isn't far behind.

May 13, 2017 at 01:16 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

It always irritated me that I had to use my left hand to turn the camera on and off as I usually have a 400mm telephoto attached and support the rig with my left hand. I love being able to do everything with my right hand on the E-M1s. Only problem I have now is I have all the other buttons set to vital functions so I can't quickly change the ISO as before. But I'll figure something out...

May 13, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Lleuallen

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

My camera is set up so that OK brings up the SCP. So if you selected ISO in the SCP the last time you used it it will be the selection the next time. Hit OK twice, ISO change displayed at bottom screen. Make change and done.

Power would be my last choice as I don't turn on/off that much or I am on a tripod and it does not matter. I would loose switching between Back Button focus and Shutter Press focus which I do frequently in some situations. To each their own.

Larry

May 13, 2017 at 08:09 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to change function of ON/OFF switch

Hi Larry,
To each their own is right! Brilliant that we are able to customize our cameras so thoroughly and so precisely. Really well thought out, I must say.
As I never use AFL/AEL, which I had set to Fn1, I just assigned the ISO/WB adjustment to Fn1. Simple.
My settings are pretty specific for bird "work" with long lenses. A detailed description here, if anyone is interested.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343596

May 15, 2017 at 06:59 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password