Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

I am selling a camera on the b/s board, and have two brand new members (zero feedback, zero or one post) who say they want to buy the camera. It has been on sale for a week and both have been in contact with me a couple of times about getting funds together, and both said today they have the funds.

I am cautious about dealing with someone new even when selling, but everybody had to start somewhere. I have asked for feedback from other venues, verifiable contact information, and paying via paypal 'friends and family' so the buyer cannot grab the money back and run with my camera.

Are there other things I should be requesting, should I just walk away and find another buyer, or should I feel ok with doing the transaction under the above conditions?

Thanks.

May 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

Hard to say. If you use regular PayPal (i.e., not PayPal gift), and strictly follow PayPal rules (e.g., shipping only to verified PayPal shipping address, getting signature confirmation for receipt of the package), then you should be covered by PayPal. Getting PayPal to handle any potential problems might take some time and effort of your part, of course. If you go this route, may sure the buyer understands that they will need to use regular PayPal (not PayPal gift), and that they need to have a verified shipping address with PayPal. Or you could always decide to wait another week or two to see if someone else makes an offer. Your call, of course. Good luck!
Keith W.

May 12, 2017 at 12:55 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

I was going to use paypal gift. That way I got the funds and there is no way for them to be repatriated. In any case, the buyer sounds legit, he is giving me the info and details I need. Gift is better protection for me as seller since there is no recourse to me.

May 12, 2017 at 01:05 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

I never use PayPal gift (whether I am the buyer or the seller).
Keith W.

May 12, 2017 at 01:43 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

This is a common misconception. There definitely is risk to the seller accepting "gift" payment.

cohenfive wrote:
I was going to use paypal gift. That way I got the funds and there is no way for them to be repatriated. In any case, the buyer sounds legit, he is giving me the info and details I need. Gift is better protection for me as seller since there is no recourse to me.

May 12, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

Please don't take this the wrong way but you have been a member since 2004. 8 months less than me. That is 13 years! If you have not learned valuable lessons from the "tons' of exactly the same post as yours....then I don't know what more the above posters can say. Yes "Repitition is the mother of learning" but there is point that redundancy becomes pointless. Especially since it appears 90% of you posts are on the B&S Forum.
Dan

May 12, 2017 at 04:18 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

Points taken. Just hadn't run across the issue myself. Deal is done. Thx.

May 12, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

cohenfive wrote:
Points taken. Just hadn't run across the issue myself. Deal is done. Thx.

Good! I did not want you to think I was singling you out for the issue. It was constructive criticism that was not meant to be hostile.
Your topic is one that has appeared weekly, if not daily, for the past few years.
Good Luck!
Dan

May 13, 2017 at 07:51 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

Not sure if it' still true, but as of Oct 2014, PP could force the return of an item for up to six months from date of purchase.....

May 13, 2017 at 08:10 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

cohenfive wrote:

Well if you actually read the rules when you signed up for PayPal you would know the gift option is not intended for purchasing merchandise.

May 13, 2017 at 08:28 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I sell to a brand new FM member?

Danpbphoto wrote:
"Repitition is the mother of learning"
Dan

"Humor is everywhere in that there's irony in just about anything a human does."
- Bill Nye

May 13, 2017 at 08:51 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.