FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART

dtolios
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART

Paul Mo wrote:
I own the 24 and 35 Arts, and have an EF 50 1.4. Considering that they don't 'clean up' until f2-2.8 I have been thinking about consolidating in an EF 24-70 f2.8L II.

Don't get me wrong, the 24-70 II is an amazing zoom, and with the bulk/weight those Arts command, it is not that much bigger = weeeeee, zooms are so versatile and sweet.

BUT -
If you shoot something side by side in wide apertures, there is a BIG difference. And I mean BIG. Notable. Tangible. Is it something you will really notice in every shot? Perhaps, I don't know how picky you are, but shoot them side by side, and you will definitely notice when you pull both images.

Even the EF 50 1.4, which I could not get to keep after I shot it side by side with the 50A, is notably cleaner in the corners at f/2.8 than the 24-70 II copies I've tried wide open. The 35A and 50A I've tried...same story, but perhaps even at f/1.4 those are "cleaner" as you say than the 24-70 II @ f/2.8...those are "cleaner" than the zoom when all are stopped down @ f/4.

You don't need a special body to see that, it is obvious on a 6D.

And - I cannot stress this enough - the 24-70 II is a truly fine zoom, and I have no doubt that if it was the only lens I had, I would be fine with it. The above "rant" got triggered because you say your Arts...I wanted to make sure you know that the 24-70 II won't really be "better" in that regard. The contrary. The EF50 is simply not in the same league with the Sigma Arts, but itself is sharper / more consistent at f/2.8 vs. the 24-70 II...it is just mediocre at best when in f/1.x apertures, while the Sigmas - unless you got a bad copy - are typically "OMG" already from f/1.x apertures. Perfect? Of course not, everything is relative tho, and vs. 24-70 II, I think those are "OMG" in comparable apertures every time.

May 19, 2017 at 06:03 PM
APS Shooter

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART

The 35mm ART rated the billing espoused here within this thread and I am more than pleased. Have shot it on (4) 1D/DS bodies and no focus issue or adjustment requisite,upon any of them.

I can't speak as to how others use said glass,but it has much exceeded my expectations and it is fair to say that I am impressed,which doesn't happen very often. My sole curiosity now,is to see how it fends abuse in my daily Outdoor Pursuits and the typically inclement weather. If it pukes,I'll simply buy the Canon 35mm II and see how it fairs.

Thanks again for the feedback and the nudge.

May 23, 2017 at 01:43 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART

There is something fishy about this thread...

May 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM
APS Shooter

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART

I catch better than 1000 Salmonids a year and like to keep notes/details upon various cycles. Always interesting to reflect back upon pixels,to substantiate a hunch,that a particular victim had been landed by myself prior. Steelhead are the greatest focus and that pun is intended.

Salmon are (1) run and done,but Steelhead cycle saltwater/freshwater multiple times and it's nice to see a repeat customer. This year's rather inordinate weather has run timing off,but the volume was/is there and that too is encouraging. I'll be leaving the Spring Steelhead run alone and patiently awaiting the Winter run's arrival...while beating on Salmon between the lull. Though of course I'll lose days to the various Hunting Seasons that fill said gaps and that just might be fun too.

Looking to employ the newest glass with some OCF,to HSS returning runs in midair via remote. If the ambient light is there,I can go Retro and gun 1/16000 sec shutter speeds upon a Dinosaur,so as to enable some interesting perspectives.

I'll likely never know how the Sigma 35m F/1.4 ART behaves Indoors,but will have a better than good grasp upon how it behaves in the Outdoors. I'll be curious to see how it fends outright abuse and how long it takes weather to toss a wrench in the works. I'm somewhat tempted to silicone the interface on the camera/lens mount point,to bolster the sealing integrity as an opening move.

If it goes the distance,that would be great. If not,I'll try something else.

To be continued.

May 23, 2017 at 08:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password