Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

Title basically says it all, anyone had the chance to try smart adapters from both brands? The Kipon costs quite a bit less so I'm curious how it compares.

I'm mostly considering using a Canon 400 5.6L on an EM1.2, it would cost less than the native options and I could use it on my Sony FF setup as well.

May 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

I use the Metabones Smart Adapter (firmware V2.6!) 95% of the time with a Canon 400/5.6 on my Mark II. Many examples here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N04/sets/
Not sure if the Kuipon is the same as the Commlite, but I have tested the Commlite. It was more or less as good with the 400/5.6 on the Mark II, but fell short with many other Canon lenses. I would recommend the Metabones. More reliable, also because of the firmware updates.

May 11, 2017 at 01:58 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

Thanks Dan, your photos are a big part of the reason I am considering this set up.

The Kipon can update firmware as well (Kipon is an Adorama house brand I think), but I don't know how frequently they send out updates. I have the Metabones for my Sony and I'm reasonably happy with it, but like many of us I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks where I can.

May 11, 2017 at 02:31 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

Right. Understandable.... who wouldn't like to save some money?
The guy I sold my E-M1 to decided to save and got a Commlite. It works pretty well with his Canon 300/4 and the 400/5.6 he also bought from me, but that was about it. He has a whole collection of lenses, and aside from a couple Sigmas and maybe a Tamron 150-600, it could not come close to the Metabones. Kipon is not at all well known here. Might be worth giving one a try....
Any way you cut it, adapting lenses is always going to be a compromise. Sure, I would love faster AF and C-AF and tracking and all that, but it ain't happening, so I try to accept the shortcomings and make the most out of the strengths. I will have a look around on the European forums. Maybe there is something to be learnd about the Kipon.
In general, from what I have been able to find out, opinions are pretty mixed regarding the Kipon, where the Metabones is well accepted.

May 12, 2017 at 12:26 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone compared Kipon adapter to Metabones?

Kipon is a Chinese brand.

I have not used any M4/3 Metabones adapter but I have the MB 4 for Sony and the Kipon EF to M4/3 smart adapter.

I am happy to recommend the Kipon but it will eally depend on the camera/lens/adapter as a combination.

I know the Kipon works great with fast AFS at least and my GX7 and 40 2.8 STM,
100 f2, Sigma 150 2.8 APO and cheap 18-55 IS ii APSC kit lens.

It also worked well with my (previous) 135 f2 L and even an old 100-300 5.6 L.

Works well with the manual focus TS-E lenses too.

As it was first sold (my copy serial number is under 100), it was quite limited with issues but after firmware updates, it is very nice.

It wont work fully for AF with all lenses and there is a list on Kipon's website (somewhere) though not all lenses are listed so some others will also work.

The only lens I have that doesn't work with it now is an ancient 28-90 film camera kit lens (that does work on my various Sony adapters).

http://www.kipon.com/en/

May 12, 2017 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.