FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Wedding/Location Softbox

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding/Location Softbox

I have been rethinking my lighting setup for a while...I feel like I have been getting too lazy with my lighting. I got out of the habit of using a small (24" square) softbox at weddings, and have been using primary just my magmod gear. While it does a great job for what it is, it cannot replace a larger light source. So, I am curious for those of you using a softbox, what are you rolling with these days? A priority of mine of is ease of use, so something that easily collapses or folds is a big plus. Thanks!

May 11, 2017 at 09:59 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding/Location Softbox

I lose modifiers frequently, so inexpensive is always better (for me). I prefer round catchlights so any Octabox under 36" will do.

May 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding/Location Softbox

SMDV Speedbox S60 & S70. S60 is definitely more efficient if you're using speedlights, folds up fast too. I have both of mine converted to Bowens mount and use an S-bracket. I use the S70 more with my AD360.

S60 is a 24" hexagon, so the catchlights aren't as pretty in some circumstances...but the light is lovely.
S70 is bigger 28-ish" dodecahedron, really nice as well.

May 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Funny you bring this subject up.

Recently turned on to a cheetah brand 43"/46" (can't remember the size) umbrella softbox for under $40 (USD).

umbrella softbox

I have used it for several weddings now..... winner.

folds up like any umbrella.

I was using Magmod and/or white 16" shot thru umbrella

May 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Ziffl3 wrote:

Recently turned on to a cheetah brand 43"/46" (can't remember the size) umbrella softbox for under $40 (USD).

umbrella softbox

I'm a HUGE fan of their umbrella soft box. That with the 600x is such an insanely quick set up for on location lighting. In windy conditions it's less than ideal though. I've been using rectangular soft boxes more. Cheetah has a 9x36" (if I recall correctly). You can light someone from head to toe, or spin it sideways to only light from the waist up.

May 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding/Location Softbox

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godox-80-80cm-Honeycomb-Grid-Softbox-S-Type-Bowens-Mount-Bracket-Kit-/162006604427?hash=item25b8589a8b:g:i9wAAOSwP~tW5po9

easy, fast, light, durable

May 11, 2017 at 01:15 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding/Location Softbox

I've been loving this since I got it mid-season last year. Not as fast to set up as an umbrella box but pretty quick: http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/qs33wbd.htm I generally use it with the front diffusion panel. There is also a 40" version too.

May 11, 2017 at 01:24 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Photek Softlighter 46in. It is a white umbrella with a removable black back to use as a shoot through or regular umbrella. It also has a front diffuser to use as softbox. Very versatile, compact and affordable at $86.
-Greg

May 11, 2017 at 01:51 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Ziffl3 wrote:

umbrella softbox

Yup. So quick and easy. Reasonably nice light.

Bonus, Fotodiox sells the same thing for $22! I tend to trash my on-location stuff, so cheaper is always better.

May 11, 2017 at 06:34 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Brollys are OK but they inflate/deflate a little oddly and take longer to set up than umbrellas. I still use regular bounce/shoot through umbrellas for speed.

May 12, 2017 at 10:45 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding/Location Softbox

form wrote:
Brollys are OK but they inflate/deflate a little oddly and take longer to set up than umbrellas. I still use regular bounce/shoot through umbrellas for speed.

Mine sets up exactly the same as an umbrella. The diffusion isn't removable like most (which has its own set of disadvantages), so you literally just pop it open as you would an umbrella and it's set up.

May 13, 2017 at 04:31 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Yes the brolly is open and setup, but the positioning for the flash (had to be repositioned each time the brolly was deflated because the flash is too close to allow the brolly to deflate completely otherwise), the zipping up and the pulling the drawstring to get the openings all closed properly takes extra time and prep, and sometimes the drawstring gets tangled or the zipper malfunctions. Not as much time as assembling a softbox, but more than the 5 seconds (for me anyway) that it takes to open an umbrella and adjust the swivel bracket angle (flash was mounted on the bracket earlier).

I used to use brollies until I decided that the extra care involved in positioning the flash and getting the enclosure properly closed each time I inflated it wasn't worth it. I didn't notice a significant improvement in light quality. Maybe it's because my brollies were cheap. Also, since I don't use an assistant, maybe it's also because it would require me to fiddle with it for extra time while my brides were waiting and I decided that time was more important in those cases.

Edited on May 15, 2017 at 09:55 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2017 at 08:31 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding/Location Softbox

I use Quantum Qflash which provides a lot of light, a very durable light designed for portability, and that gives me many options for modifiers without need for fancy bracket setups.

I love using the newish Quantum 26" octagon softbox for weddings. I started with a SP Studio Systems 37" softbox that collapses like an umbrella and is then only 22" long and fits easily into my hard case that I use for my Quantum kit. These take less than a minute to open and attach to the Qflash and so are practical in fast paced situations.

The overall size is important as larger sizes are much more likely to get blown around by the slightest breeze and a gust can be enough to tip over the light stand and flash. After one very windy wedding at Big Sur along the coast I looked into sand bags but realized after doing some simple calculations that a 30" umbrella or softbox would need 50 lbs. of weight to hold it down with even 15 mph gusts and that as not going to be practical.

May 14, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Ever since the AD200 has come into my life I have been using a lot more flash on my shoots. I have always had them (speedlights) with me but the lighting was never what I wanted.
I had a few Cowboystudios umbrella otcoboxes from amazon but I quickly learned they were not built well and collapsed even under the pressure of opening them. I liked the light they put out when they worked but not strong enough for the rigors of wedding season.
Last week I picked up some Westcott Apollos to replace the knock offs. I know they are a bit more expensive and there is probably better and cheaper out there but I know these work well and with the fiberglass rods they SHOULD last a little longer.

May 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding/Location Softbox

rapidbox rapid 48 octo with flashpoint 600. Never worry about having enough light or the quality of it

May 16, 2017 at 08:14 AM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding/Location Softbox

Ziffl3 wrote:

umbrella softbox

How does it perform related to controlling the light falloff & spill?
Same as other brollys/umbrellas?

May 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.