New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · College Students

rkpx1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · College Students

I recently did a photo-shoot for several college students. I've just started learning portrait photography, any critiques would be greatly appreciated!

May 10, 2017 at 01:58 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · College Students

#3 is the only one properly exposed in my opinion. In all the others your exposure is favoring the background which is underexposing the guys by 1-ish stops. With that said, I don't like the framing in #3. You should of framed it like the others, but putting eye level at the top 1/3 of the frame. In #3, the blurry building and cart vendor don't add to the portrait. If there was no cart vendor there, and all you had was the building, then close up the aperture and get everything more in focus.

May 10, 2017 at 02:15 PM
rkpx1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · College Students

01Ryan10 wrote:
#3 is the only one properly exposed in my opinion. In all the others your exposure is favoring the background which is underexposing the guys by 1-ish stops. With that said, I don't like the framing in #3. You should of framed it like the others, but putting eye level at the top 1/3 of the frame. In #3, the blurry building and cart vendor don't add to the portrait. If there was no cart vendor there, and all you had was the building, then close up the aperture and get everything more in focus.

Thank you for your suggestions!

May 10, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Jess_Sullivan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · College Students

I'd mention:
- Over-exposing scenes like these (to get the skin tones as correct as possible from the camera) will still usually still bring out the nice bokeh and colors after doing some work in post- most cameras these days never cease to amaze me at how much can be reclaimed in the highlights. I opt to work like this most of the time as well, to avoid getting into strobe complications, longer setup time, distance myself from the clients, etc.

- framing and posing has a lot to do with where you stand yourself- often I favor images that are not "dead on" from the photographer to the subject. The extreme example is a deer in headlights vs. portrait of a deer....

- I have a hunch more can be done in post with these images to see what you like best. Pull some shadows, crop some frames... I think your approach is on the right track.

-Jess

May 10, 2017 at 07:59 PM
rkpx1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · College Students

Jess_Sullivan wrote:
I'd mention:
- Over-exposing scenes like these (to get the skin tones as correct as possible from the camera) will still usually still bring out the nice bokeh and colors after doing some work in post- most cameras these days never cease to amaze me at how much can be reclaimed in the highlights. I opt to work like this most of the time as well, to avoid getting into strobe complications, longer setup time, distance myself from the clients, etc.

- framing and posing has a lot to do with where you stand yourself- often I favor images that are
...Show more

Thanks, these are really helpful tips!

May 10, 2017 at 08:08 PM
SJMD
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · College Students

Fill flash can really help with the lighting

May 22, 2017 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.