New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Please advise.

May 10, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234 wrote:
Please advise.

Profoto B1 FTW

May 10, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Tony1234

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

May 11, 2017 at 03:17 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

And now Profoto has just announced the B1X. Better battery, and if I read it right you can use lower powers when using HHS.

May 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

B1X specifications are a nominal generational improvement. I've heard that the updates will be available by firmware to the B1 and the new B1x battery can be used by the B1. We'll see.

I would have rather seen an increase in maximum light output, but the B1 is set at 500ws. Looking forward more to see what improvements come out for the B2---and hopefully an increase in power, like a hybrid Acute2 B600 (discontinued) but in smaller B2 form factor, with a glass dome option or exposed flash tube.

Ken

May 14, 2017 at 02:51 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

kdphotography wrote:
with a glass dome option or exposed flash tube.

Ken

According to someone I talked to at Profoto's services in France, an exposed flash tube is unlikely to happen. And the frosted dome isn't very effective anyway.

Personally I'm quite eager to see if Broncolor will release a competitor to the Quadra / B2 or not and a series of properly made small modifiers, a little bit like Profoto's OCF grids and gel holders (to be put on the Siros umbrella reflector to keep size compact).

May 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Tony1234

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Thank you for your info. Yes, B1X full range of HSS is very nice. But power is still 500ws. Broncolor Siros 800L is almost twice the power but no TTL. Broncolor Siros L offering HS. On Elinchrom web site stated that "The downside of HyperSync is that in some instances and with some cameras there can be significant gradation from the top of the image to the bottom of the image." I will have to find out if Siros 800L is doing that also.

May 14, 2017 at 03:46 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234 wrote:
Thank you for your info. Yes, B1X full range of HSS is very nice. But power is still 500ws. Broncolor Siros 800L is almost twice the power but no TTL.

Sincerely, stop looking at the power rating, at least when comparing strobes that aren't variations (like the 400Ws Siros vs. 800Ws one). What really matters is the quantity of light that's effectively sent towards your subject and there are a ton of variables at play.

Let me give you an example : A paul Buff 140cm soft silver PLM + diffusion cover will give you a light quality that's very, very close to the usual 150cm octabox with two diffusion layers. Except that the former will be at the very least one stop more efficient than the latter. Now, you can rather easily use a soft silver PLM on a 250Ws Profoto B2, much less so on a 400Ws Quadra head (it's possible, but quite impractical). So there you go : for this sort of light, taking practicalities out of the equation (you may have plenty of practical reasons to prefer an octabox over a ss PLM with diffusion cover and vice versa, I'm not saying that one is better than the other), a 250Ws B2 may send just as much light as a 400Ws Quadra.

You also have to take into account the electronics efficiency, flash tube position / reflectors, etc...

Remember that, since we are talking about battery powered strobes, effective light efficiency is quite a bit more important than just the Ws rating. An overall light source (strobe + modifier) that's one stop more efficient than the other one may double your battery life.

Basically, it's more complicated than just "500Ws vs 800Ws" .

In addition, with HS or Hypersync, it's quite irrelevant to compare lights from different manufacturers with different electronics and different technologies.

May 14, 2017 at 04:10 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

MayaTlab wrote:

Yes, but when comparing the same apples to apples, e.g., Profoto B1 500ws to Profoto B1X 500ws--- I still want more power.

I agree that Profoto probably won't offer an exposed flash tube with the B1 or B2 iterations, but having the glass dome as an option is still nice. It does make a difference, albeit sometimes slight, it is there in certain modifiers.

Ken

May 14, 2017 at 04:37 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
And now Profoto has just announced the B1X. Better battery, and if I read it right you can use lower powers when using HHS.

yes indeed you can use the whole range in HSS on the B1X that is a major feature that i hope can be added to the B1s.

With the B1 once you set it in HSS power goes automatically on 7 ( with canon) and you can only adjust from 7 to 9, that is very limiting when in need of high speed sync and low power.

May 14, 2017 at 05:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pompo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

kdphotography wrote:
B1X specifications are a nominal generational improvement. I've heard that the updates will be available by firmware to the B1 and the new B1x battery can be used by the B1. We'll see.

Ken

I hope so I just bought the B1 kit and that one feature that already dislike is the power going up to 7 when setting the HSS on! I wonder if that would be feasible via a firmware update.

May 14, 2017 at 05:52 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

MayaTlab wrote:

kdphotography wrote:
Yes, but when comparing the same apples to apples, e.g., Profoto B1 500ws to Profoto B1X 500ws--- I still want more power.

I guess that's one case where a comparions is applicable, particularly since I haven't read anything about a new flash tube or reflector design with the B1X vs. the B1.

Do you know though, that even between strobes as close as a B1 and a B2, there is a small difference in effective light output with some modifiers at the same power setting ? The B2's internal reflector and flash tube design make for a slightly more directional light naked for starters, which has an influence with some modifiers.

kdphotography wrote:
I agree that Profoto probably won't offer an exposed flash tube with the B1 or B2 iterations, but having the glass dome as an option is still nice. It does make a difference, albeit sometimes slight, it is there in certain modifiers.

Ken

It's too bad. The recessed flash tube is a no go for me with beauty dishes and it's pretty terrible in indirect silver reflectors. Really sad, as Profoto's older flash tube / umbrella hole / mount design was by far the very best thing ever with indirect silver reflectors.

May 14, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

pompo wrote:
I hope so I just bought the B1 kit and that one feature that already dislike is the power going up to 7 when setting the HSS on! I wonder if that would be feasible via a firmware update.

Consider yourself lucky....minimum power on Nikon cameras is 8.

But yeah...if they make this a firmware update....they will be my favorite company for a long time.

May 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Consider yourself lucky....minimum power on Nikon cameras is 8.

But yeah...if they make this a firmware update....they will be my favorite company for a long time.

I believe the last firmware update lowered Nikon to 7 to match Canon.

May 15, 2017 at 04:38 AM
Tony1234

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Update for HSS will be up soon. 9 f-stop.

May 15, 2017 at 05:23 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234 wrote:
Update for HSS will be up soon. 9 f-stop.

I would be turning into a Profoto evangelist if it'll happen!

May 15, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Tony1234

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

It is available to update now.

May 15, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234 wrote:

AMAZING!!! So happy about this.

May 15, 2017 at 03:53 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

Tony1234 wrote:

yes !!!! do you have the link please?
profoto forever !

May 15, 2017 at 03:58 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any feedback on Broncolor Siros 800L.

http://profoto.com/int/myprofoto-login

May 15, 2017 at 04:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password