New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

I have been using LR5.7 for a long time now and was wondering if I am missing anything by not upgrading. If I understand correctly I can upgrade to LR6 and still be standalone but if I go to CC I have to do the subscription.

I want to know if there is any real changes with these version. I don't care about library features, connectivity features etc. I only care about editing photos and features that can make my edits better. In regards to photo editing are the newer version any better than LR5?

May 10, 2017 at 04:14 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

I used LR 5.7 and am now using standalone LR 6. I know there were differences... but I'm hard pressed to think of what they were. For my workflow they were not profound. What's missing in LR 6 is some of the features that are only available in LR 6/CC, e.g., "dehaze". I can't say that I've missed them.

May 10, 2017 at 07:34 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

The move from LR5 to LR6/CC was possibly the smallest change in the LR line . (i say that as someone who went the CC route )

LR6/CC kept the same Process as LR5 where in most of the previous updates a new process was used .

what you did get was new stuff like HDR and PANO that produce an DNG raw file rather than having to generate a TIFF from a plugin or external software
I think there was additions/changes to the brushes as well .
and a few items in the develop mode now utilise the GPU to speed things up (although this can be hit and miss depending on the hardware )

If you go the LR6 route you are locked into what features the software had at launch . but the CC rout has got some additional bits . DEHAZE is by far the standout new CC only addition .yes you can mimic it and I think there are plug ins that can do it much the same in LR5 as well now . but the DEHAZE slider in CC is almost worth the monthly fee alone for me

Plus you can now use Smart previews for speed even when the RAW file is present (Im pretty sure thats a CC only 'feature" )

Now I have to say that this far down the line with LR6 unless you have a new camera that needs the latest version of LR to work I would probably not bother (unless you jump to CC) .
we may never see a LR7 but LR6 is now 2 years old and won't gain any new features . What makes me think we could get a version 7 is I cant see Adobe updating LR6 with new cameras indefinitely .
If you jump onto the CC route then it doesn't matter as you would get a new version automatically .
also don't forget CC is not just LIGHTROOM . you get PHOTOSHOP as well .
its funny when CC launched and adobe brought out the photographers deal it was PS that was supposed to be the big draw . LR was seen as something of a free extra . Now its seems to be the other way round

Oh and with CC you get LR mobile , which while still a tad lacking can be very handy on your smart phone and/or iPad

May 10, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

Here is a features list .

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html

basically LR6 standalone has the features listed in the April 2015 section .

May 10, 2017 at 08:44 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

thanks for the info. I have to say dehaze looks pretty cool and something I would use. Maybe I will have to consider upgrading to CC soon.

May 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom CC/LR6 VS LR5

Hopefully Adobe has a wothwhile upgrade to Lightroom sometime later this year maybe in the fall. Been nearly two years since anything worth mentioning has come out. I was really hoping with the move to CC we would get more frequent upgrades, but has not been the case. Seriously thinking of taking a dive into CaptureOne and seeing what is like. I am hearing really nice things about the latest upgrade there.

May 11, 2017 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.