FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Prothonotary

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Prothonotary

Met with Karl Witt, Larry Williams, John, Troy and other FMers today at Magee Marsh. Had a whale of a time.

I get content easily and once I saw this guy it was a day well spent for me with friends.

May 09, 2017 at 11:44 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Prothonotary

Sounds like a great time with some very good people... color me jealous.
Congrats on finding this beautiful little guy Shreeni, he gave you a wonderful pose. Well done.

Kirk

May 10, 2017 at 12:15 AM
izumi55

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Prothonotary

nice picture

May 10, 2017 at 02:18 AM
izumi55

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Prothonotary

i like nature

May 10, 2017 at 02:19 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Prothonotary

Nicely done Shreeni. Sounds like a great time ~ Ron

May 10, 2017 at 06:50 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Prothonotary

That's a beauty, Shreeni. MM is on my list for next spring.

May 10, 2017 at 07:03 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Prothonotary

Great shot of one of my favourite warblers.
Don

May 10, 2017 at 09:31 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Prothonotary

Thanks all. Thanks to Morris for the tip to use flash for fill. I bought Spencer's Wildlife MagMod kit and it fits beautifully on my Metz AF-1.

One thing I experienced. being the first using flash, the shutter release would not work till the flash recycled. Is this how it behaves ? Also the continuous frame rate dropped by a huge margin when the flash was on, but returned back to it staccato self once the flash was turned off.

Is there a CF to override this behavior ?

May 10, 2017 at 09:47 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Prothonotary

Lovely shot Shreeni . Looks like you had a good time and good company

Not sure about your flash issues and the Metz flash. I am assuming your are using a Nikon camera?
Do you have the camera set for high speed sync flash?

I see the Metz has high speed on first and second curtain modes. I set my camera to rear curtain . Check to see what flash mode your camera is set.

Birdie

May 10, 2017 at 03:41 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Prothonotary

Very nice Sireti. If I recall there is a setting on Metz flashes that will hold back till the flash is able to do full power. Turn that off and you will get a flash with a little less power yet you get the images you want to take.

Morris

May 10, 2017 at 05:43 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Prothonotary

birdie wrote:
rear curtain ...

Birdied - I did set my D500 to rear (the thing which displays "rear" in the top window ? the - button + front wheel)

morris wrote:
If I recall there is a setting on Metz flashes ...

Morris

I checked the Metx 50 AF-1 manual a couple times end-to-end but can't find it. Maybe I am not looking at the right description The two button setup on Metz definitely does not have this option

May 10, 2017 at 07:23 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Prothonotary

sritri wrote:
Birdied - I did set my D500 to rear (the thing which displays "rear" in the top window ? the - button + front wheel)

I checked the Metx 50 AF-1 manual a couple times end-to-end but can't find it. Maybe I am not looking at the right description The two button setup on Metz definitely does not have this option

Yep , that's it. On the camera, check your setting on e1 to make sure it is set to the fastest shutter speed listed.

Also, make sure the flash is set to i-TTL mode.

Birdie

Edited on May 10, 2017 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2017 at 07:32 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Prothonotary

excellent shot Shreeni

May 10, 2017 at 07:34 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Prothonotary

I had a diffrent Metz 64, possibly yours dose not have the option.

May 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Prothonotary

Hi Shreeni Sorry about the company you kept

It was not easy shooting, the foliage has come out pretty strongly ahead of the birds this year.

I'm glad to have met up with you buddy! I know you are holding back on some more lovely shots of the Prothonotary singing That bird sure draws a lot of attention, I'm glad you got to get up close for your shots

Hope to get together again sometime, maybe next time to visit Larry for his cookout.
Nice little birdy you have here, now we need to do some NR on BG.
Karl

May 10, 2017 at 09:19 PM
johnohio
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Prothonotary

sritri wrote:
Met with Karl Witt, Larry Williams, John, Troy and other FMers today at Magee Marsh. Had a whale of a time.

I get content easily and once I saw this guy it was a day well spent for me with friends.

Shreeni ... I admit I (as well as everybody else) got excited when this little guy showed up. It was great to meet you and Larry Williams,and Troy and the rest of the group. I always enjoy hanging out with Karl W. seems like i always learn something .
It was a fun day , good weather, new and old friends some decent birds to shoot. Hopefully we'll meet up again soon.

John

May 13, 2017 at 07:18 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.