New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Cool blanket

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cool blanket

Found a new place to explore just 15 minutes from my house. Lived here over 20 years and it never even dawned on me to see what treasures could be found here.

Shot these last Sunday morning which was extremely cold (43 deg) for this time of year.

Thoughts?

Dave

Tower

color

Mono slightly cool

May 09, 2017 at 04:24 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cool blanket

#1 for me, Dave. You bring up a good point -- I too need to learn a lot more about my local area, not that mine is anywhere near yours for scenic beauty! You seem to have a nice spot.

keith

May 09, 2017 at 06:08 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cool blanket

It's normal to want to tighten an image to concentrate attention. However, sometimes having more negative space concentrates attention quite well and can bring an appealing sense of balance.

A slightly different compo for your consideration:

May 09, 2017 at 06:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cool blanket

Going a different direction. I think you might bring down the tonal values ... a bit unrefined yet, but you get the gist.

May 09, 2017 at 07:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cool blanket

Thanks Keith, Karen & Kent!

Here's a couple of edits per the suggestions. I added more room to the top and went with a 16:10 crop to give it more negative space on one and went with the vertical and more heavy handed approach on the other.

I like both crops but I'm not sure how I did with the processing. I didn't want to go as heavy as Kent did but I love the mood and feel of that style.

And what's a medieval looking tower without a black swan guarding it.
So I've added a bonus shot taken the same morning at this location.

Dave

The guard

May 09, 2017 at 10:19 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cool blanket

Super cool! Love all that fog. I like your comp in the rework but prefer the processing where you leave the face of the clock alone. I think I'd want more of the whites back because I really dig the dreamy/ethereal look. I'm okay with sacrificing some detail for this.

The guard is fantastic as well and the images work well in tandem!

Jeff

May 09, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cool blanket

I have been skunked in the past trying to get good fog shots. I am anxious to try again with my new gear but whoa nelly is fog a rarity where I am!

May 09, 2017 at 11:40 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cool blanket

Kevin T wrote:
I have been skunked in the past trying to get good fog shots. I am anxious to try again with my new gear but whoa nelly is fog a rarity where I am!

O woe is me! I live in beautiful Hawaii with a giant, gorgeous island mountain view from my back yard.

May 10, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cool blanket

You're tipping your cards Beav! lol

Let me offer a small poem...

Nearby there is a bog
Perhaps thrice per year will yield a Tule fog

It always seems to be when I am most hurriedly
Rushing about without a camera upon me

Cheers

May 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cool blanket

Black swans have bushels of personality. Folks on a street a couple of blocks from my house feed a pair in the evenings that waddle up from a nearby lake. I exchange verbal greetings with the pair often on my evening walks. When we lived near a lake in Hamilton, there was a black swan named Janet we'd feed from time to time. She'd recognize us from at least 100 yards away as we approached and greet up. She was quite endearing.

May 10, 2017 at 04:04 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cool blanket

beavens wrote:
Super cool! Love all that fog. I like your comp in the rework but prefer the processing where you leave the face of the clock alone. I think I'd want more of the whites back because I really dig the dreamy/ethereal look. I'm okay with sacrificing some detail for this.

The guard is fantastic as well and the images work well in tandem!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Good to hear at least the tower shot and Swan are working. No love on the Weeping Willow picnic table shots but I can live with that.

I noticed I lost much of the brightness in those edits, that part I wasn't real happy about but I was trying to use brightness to draw the viewers eyes to the tower more but the fog (steam actually) was so bright it wasn't and easy task without dropping/cutting the fog a little. I need to play more with this one me thinks.

Dave

May 10, 2017 at 05:33 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cool blanket

lighthound wrote:
Thanks Jeff! Good to hear at least the tower shot and Swan are working. No love on the Weeping Willow picnic table shots but I can live with that.

Dave

Not that the willow is bad, just that it doesn't hold a candle to the other two! If you could minimize the busy background I and increase separation I be more of a fan (especially the b&w), but you had a difficult situation at hand.

Jeff

May 10, 2017 at 08:11 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cool blanket

AuntiPode wrote:
Black swans have bushels of personality. Folks on a street a couple of blocks from my house feed a pair in the evenings that waddle up from a nearby lake. I exchange verbal greetings with the pair often on my evening walks. When we lived near a lake in Hamilton, there was a black swan named Janet we'd feed from time to time. She'd recognize us from at least 100 yards away as we approached and greet up. She was quite endearing.

They are an entertaining species of bird. Our little Westie was with me that morning. She pretty much ignores any and all types of birds, but not anymore. The big male swan went after her and scared the living daylights out of her as she has never seen aggression from a bird before. I'm pretty sure, based on the hight off the ground she jumped, that she will think twice on how close she gets to any bird now. The way she looked back at the swan was priceless.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
Not that the willow is bad, just that it doesn't hold a candle to the other two! If you could minimize the busy background I and increase separation I be more of a fan (especially the b&w), but you had a difficult situation at hand.

Jeff

Yep, I see what you're saying on the BG now that you mentioned it. Funny how my eyes never picked up on that.

Dave

May 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.