New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

CMYK Designs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I am looking to upgrade my Epson r2400 photo printer. It can print 13x19, and I would like to print a little larger, to at least get 16x20 size prints...so, Epson or Canon?

May 09, 2017 at 06:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

if you want that size, you have the Epson P800 or Canon PRO-1000. That's it.

there are plus's and minus's to each. The Epson swaps blacks and can print long and the Canon is somewhat more expensive, heavier duty, max length is 25" and uses 'chroma optimizer'

May 09, 2017 at 07:33 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I have used a number of Epson printers over the years incl. the R2400 as well as R3000. Haven't had good experience with clogging of heads. The R3000 currently is a door stopper - there is a known problem with black ink blobs on prints. Pondering whether it is worth the cost to repair. Note that I print occasionally and those who do regular prints may not run into these issues.

Strongly considering the Canon Pro-1000 right now.

May 09, 2017 at 11:20 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

Same here honestly. Not sure I'd go down the Epson path for a 3rd time.

May 10, 2017 at 04:19 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

If the Pro-1000 wasn't stuck with a stupid max print length of 25.5 inches it would clearly be the better choice in my opinion.

May 10, 2017 at 06:13 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

Stay away from Epson printers due to terrible experience with clogging of heads! You will be better off with new generation of Canon Pro printers (1000, 4000, 6000) with outstanding lucia ink sets.

May 10, 2017 at 06:23 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

just recall that the Canon heads do clog too. they just 'hide' it by using extra nozzles in the printhead to compensate. eventually though, you run out of the extras and the head dies and you spend $$$$ on a new one.

May 10, 2017 at 06:51 PM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

howardm4 wrote:
just recall that the Canon heads do clog too. they just 'hide' it by using extra nozzles in the printhead to compensate. eventually though, you run out of the extras and the head dies and you spend $$$$ on a new one.

My Canon Pro 9500 mkII will clog if left off and unused for a few months. Never has cost me anything to unclog, however - just a little bit of water and some time. It is 8 years old now and still on the same print head.

May 10, 2017 at 07:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Buckmaster

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

Canons clog less due to an automatic purge done if you have not printed in 60 hours..This all goes into the waste tank..Epsons do not have this.. So if you printed something every 2 days on your epson it probably would not clog either...

May 10, 2017 at 08:37 PM
doc4x5

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

The newer Epsons, 38xx and P800 seem to have significantly less clogging problems than the older models. The 4900 was famous for clogging, look at LULA and read and weep. My 3880 has been left for over a month in a winter environment, e.g. dry air, and has not clogged, one man's experience. If and when my beloved 3880 dies (they all do eventually) I'll look at the Canon primarily for the instant black switch. Often I'd like to try and image with both glossy and matte paper but do not want to go through the hassle and ink waste of a switch. If the Quadtone RIP (which I use and love for all my black and white work) was available for Canon, it would be a no brainer for me.

May 10, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Intrinsicate

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I have had an Epson 3880 for the last eight years, and, even though I live in an arid climate, and sometimes go a week without printing, I have had very few issues with clogging. It has performed extremely well. I can print panoramas up to 32" long. I echo the previous post's comments about the tedious business switching black inks, but, since I print mainly on canvas, that has not been much of an issue for me. It is the best printer I have owned.

May 10, 2017 at 09:55 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

the 3880 is capable of printing up to around 37.5" image (on 38" paper).

May 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I would check out the availability of large capacity ink cartridges or fill tanks for whichever printer you buy as it can cut the costs per print by 50% or more. I would want a dedicated printer for B&W prints.

When I priced out the cost of ink and paper and new print head against using a custom lab I found that the lab was always the cheaper way to go and I had more options for print media to produce more durable prints, inkjets being the least durable way to go.

Something else to consider is matting of the prints. I do not have the space for a large mount press and so it is much easier to have the lab do the mounting and they can mount on a wide variety of substrates so large prints can have more support.

I save a lot of time using a lab as I can upload files on Sunday and have the prints arrive, matted) at my door on Tuesday.

If you do go with an inkjet printer I would opt for any extended warranty protection you can get from the manufacturer. I saved a bundle with a HP Designjet when I got free head replacements for 3 years with their extended warranty.

May 11, 2017 at 11:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I have been using a Epson 3800 for a "few" years now for proofing. one of the best products out there in the lineup. it has been replaced generationally by other models like the 3880 and now the P5000. I do not use it consistently and it has never clogged in the highly varied temps and humidity I have had in my home. haven't a need to replace heads either.

Aug 05, 2017 at 11:34 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo Printer - Epson or Canon

I have a piezography converted 3880. Never clogs. I've left it alone for a couple months and it just continues to print.

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:04 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password