Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

So, a while ago I met a photographer who used suction cup mounts to stick his flashes to windows for the reception. Two thoughts collided: That's a great idea, BUT what if they fall? I asked him which ones he used but I can't remember them. Has anyone else used suction cups on windows for flash mounting and found they worked well for them (and never fell during receptions)? Alternately, I'd also like to know about any clip or clamp tools people have used for mounting flashes on drapes without causing ugly crimping...and any other flash mounting methods you've found to be subtle and effective.

I've moved away from using light stands during receptions because they're just ugly and have to be edited out too often.

Thanks!

May 09, 2017 at 06:20 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

Suction cups would scare me. Have you thought about using super clamps?

May 09, 2017 at 06:32 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

forget the names but there are some mondo-big suction cups with arms on them for clamping that are used for professional movie making in Hollywood and elsewhere - surface prep can be critical

May 09, 2017 at 06:39 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

Interesting idea. If they work on moving cars why not at reception, as long its a decent brand. I guess its in fact safer than light stands since none is likely to stand so close to a window.

May 09, 2017 at 06:40 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

They scare me too, but his worked. I saw them in use and they didn't fall during the reception. Disc was about 3" in diameter, I looked them up before and they were around $65 each. Personally I'd feel more comfortable with dirt cheap flashes and really big suction cups like 5-6" diameter.

Speaking of dirt cheap flashes...I've been trying to find a reliable brand/model of inexpensive off-camera flashes that actually flash sync properly with my cameras. I tried a ni...something cheap brand flash and it didn't even fire off in time with my camera shutter, and I have a yongnuo 560 IV that maxes out at 1/100 or 1/125 flash sync speeds off-camera when it's in a good mood.

Lithium or standard AA battery designs are fine.

Any thoughts on that?

May 09, 2017 at 06:45 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

There are some cheap ones for GoPros, but I'd probably shy away from that. Something like this, though...
http://www.adorama.com/aef1000.html

May 09, 2017 at 06:49 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

It doesn't sound like others have much experience with the idea...

May 09, 2017 at 06:56 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

I've used them for mounting cameras on moving cars. As long as the surface is clean and smooth, suction clamps work great.

May 09, 2017 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

Decent suction cups work well - I've used these extensively with various video equipment. The one biggie though is that the surface onto which the cups are mounted have to be very smooth. Glass works good so long as you take into account that you could damage it when removing the cups. I use these double cup ones but single cup would be sufficient for a flashgun:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/delkin-fat-gecko-camera-mount-1031020/

If you put the cups on other surfaces such as smooth painted wood surfaces they may work - I've used doors (not ones in use) before but be careful they are smooth enough. If worried you can try to place the flashgun where a fall would land on a soft surface, or use a short piece of rope to hold its fall e.g. tie one end to a nearby fixture such as a light fitting.

Super clamps are good as are these Delkin fat gecko varients:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/delkin-fat-gecko-gator-mount-1534525/

Cheap friction arms from Ebay can work OK.

Light stands are ugly as you know and can cause accidents, but in practice its hard to find places to attach small clamps regularly.

Pete

May 09, 2017 at 08:23 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

I would only put the suction cups on glass. I would/do use other mounting tools for other surfaces.

The one the photographer originally told me about: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624137-REG/Novoflex_SP_STATIV_Suction_Cup_With_Ball.html - he said he's had them fall once or twice. That's a no-go for me, so I'm looking into bigger suction cups or dual cup designs now.

May 09, 2017 at 09:38 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

Here is another option: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1198731-REG/tether_tools_rmpg45kt_rapidmount_powergrip_kit_for.html

The problem with most of my venues arund here, banquet rooms often have no windows at all or they are too far away from the action. Another problem, I could never get a device like this up high enough on a window for how I like to use OCF.

These can be helpful in locations with drop ceilings: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3569-REG/Avenger_C1000_C1000_Drop_Ceiling_Scissor_Clamp.html

May 09, 2017 at 11:09 PM
monkey007

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

I'm looking into buying this product
https://www.amazon.ca/Delkin-Devices-DDMOUNT-MINI-Knuckle-Suction/dp/B002K8Q0EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1494375077&sr=1-1

I want to use it for getting ready pictures. Something like in this video (time 0:20)

and also for lighting inside of a car.

May 10, 2017 at 12:14 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

First thing that comes to mind for me is few if any of the reception places I have shot would have windows I could attach any suction cup to anywhere near where I would want them. Usually there is a Foyer at the front and no windows or other similar surfaces in the hall itself. Might be Mirrors but sticking things to them would look very tacky and who knows what sort of leveraged load they would be able to take? I'd be more worried about the thing being knocked or fiddled with and causing the mirror to break rather than the flash falling off.
Not much if any painted shiny surfaces these days but to me, sticking stuff around like that which may lift the paint or mark the surface would be rude and I myself wouldn't do it.

I'd be pissed if someone came into my home and started sticking stuff to the walls or windows, I wouldn't treat anyone else's house with less respect than I'd require for my own. Shooters already have a strong reputation for taking over and being pains in the arse, that's why so many Churches won't allow or restrict Photography now. Can't see this endearing anyone to the reception houses.

The culture may be different in other places ( we don't light the whole reception place here, just use on camera flash generally) but I couldn't see sticking things around would be looked on favorably and in fact, I can think of more than one place where I'd guarantee the owner to be straight up pissed off and kick the offenders arse well and truly. They are house proud people because their presentation is a huge part of their reputation and it's a competitive business. they don't put the money into regular upgrades and maintenance for nothing or to have people coming and and sticking things around.

There is more to consider than just our wants and whims.

Stands aren't perfect but they have been used forever and if properly and thoughtfully placed, should be OK.

May 10, 2017 at 02:56 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

With a photographer, venues have recourse for insurance purposes. I know that I personally go out of my way to ensure that whatever I use/put up near walls/on drapes/etc. have padded surfaces or otherwise are no risk for injury to patrons and also don't damage the venue's property. I consider this because I respect property. I believe that suction cups can be removed safely with the proper tool, perhaps a wooden or plastic spatula.

Would I want it in my home? If it was specifically necessary in order to accomplish something that I wanted accomplished and it was the most aesthetically desirable thing, and if I knew that if someone damaged a window they were going to pay for it (windows are replaceable), then...why not?

I wouldn't attach a suction cup to a mirror, I'd attach it to the giant window panes well above eye level.

I actually produce a large amount of the ambiance of a venue with off-camera flash and they also give an edge light to my subject, while the on-camera flash fills the the subject as desired. Whether others do it that way or not doesn't affect what methods I use. I see it as important for my desired results. Most of the reception venues I go to are lit so dimly that I couldn't get a decent ambient light level at 1/200 f/1.4 ISO3200 (I need the shutter speed fast enough for dancing movement often times). Not that I'm perfectly satisfied with my lighting methods (Hoffer's reception lighting is still my favorite and I don't know how he does it unless he uses an assistant always back/sidelighting his subjects with a stickflash plus some method of generating a basic ambient with flash blended with actual ambient)...but until I know a better way, I'll keep trying to increase the ways in which I can do things the way I already prefer.

A few venues don't want me hanging things on drapes and I adapt to that. Otherwise, I place lights where I think it will give me the best coverage without being in anyone's way.

This is all digressing and justifying.

May 10, 2017 at 06:10 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash mounting - suction cups etc.

That fat gecko design is one I considered but I don't want/need a long mount so I would prefer the stealth model if I went with single suction cup design.

May 10, 2017 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password