New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens

dianaking99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens

Please help me to choose. I would like to buy a super macro lens for food photography which one also can make some short video as a macro lens. I need expert openion on that because I am not and I am really thinking to buy the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens. Is that a goog idea , or have better out there in that price or maybe the 60mm macro lens is also could be enough good? I have a Nikon D5500. Thank you.

May 09, 2017 at 12:47 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens

If food photography would be your focus (as opposed to other macro subjects like insects and such), and if your budget allows, get 45mm PC-E instead. You can find it used for ~$1100-$1400. It does 1:2 reproduction ratio (i.e., as opposed to 1:1 in a true macro lens like 105mm macro), but 1:2 would be enough magnification for food. More importantly, it allows you to tilt the lens and by doing that, tilt the focusing plane with respect to the sensor plane, and thus effectively expand your Depth of Field which, I think, would be extremely helpful in most food closeup shots.

Having said that, between 105 macro and 60 macro, I would definitely get 105. The working distance with the 60mm would be smaller. i.e., while both will reproduce 1:1, the 105 will do it at 1ft from your subject whereas the 60 would need to be 0.6ft to your subject.

PS: BTW, not sure why you have posted this here as opposed on the Nikon forum.

May 09, 2017 at 01:18 PM
dianaking99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens

Thank you for your answer. At the moment I can not afford 45 mm PC-E. I am sooo amateur ..As you see that kinda amateur I even do not know where to post. I get my reply and I am glad with it. Thanks again

May 09, 2017 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.