FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

I found this species, which is new to me, although not uncommon and one of our elderly pear trees. Lichen takes years to grow, so I would have expected to find it on the older branches. However, it was only on a few of the younger tip growths of the tree. (The tree is maybe 50 feet high so I cannot verify that the lichen is so restricted in its colonisation).

Lichens are supposed to be referred to as lichenised fungi. The fungus lives as a symbiont with an alga, forming a thallus, which is leaf-like in this “foliose” type.

This genus is in the greyish to bluish thallus group. This species has the soredia in soralia at the tips of branches of the thallus. Soredia are not spores but tiny capsules containing the complete lichen ingredients, fundal hyphae and some cells of algae. The aggregations of these soredia are called soralia and the locations of these on the thallus are specific to genera or species. These look like tiny spheroids in a tightly-packed group.

Most of these were growing at just above my head height, balancing on a knee-hight stoll being my access. Some colonies were on twigs which had become detached at an earlier date and I did pick one for close work.

Most images are with FOV 6-8mm wide.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, Raynox MSN-202 25 diopters, twin or triple TTL RC flash, hand-held. Wider views with other combinations or just the 50mm.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Crop

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Edited on May 09, 2017 at 02:28 AM · View previous versions

May 09, 2017 at 01:17 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

Crosseye stereos.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

May 09, 2017 at 01:18 AM
Jess_Sullivan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

I love these. I have been think about how to approach the lichens here in the white mountains in NH- mostly the colorful crustose formations on the mountain rocks and the various "fluffy" fruticose forms all over the forest.

Great work!
-Jess

May 09, 2017 at 05:55 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

Interesting Harold ~ Ron

May 09, 2017 at 06:36 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Physcia tenella a Lichen on Young Twigs of Pear

Jess_Sullivan wrote:
I love these. I have been think about how to approach the lichens here in the white mountains in NH- mostly the colorful crustose formations on the mountain rocks and the various "fluffy" fruticose forms all over the forest.

Great work!
-Jess

Thanks. I prefer the ones on rocks. They are not so mobile as the ones on trees!

They require magnifications close to the limit for hand-held to show the details.

Harold

May 09, 2017 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.