FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Time Issue

mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time Issue

I used a D800 and a D3s at a wedding Saturday. I shot about 4k images total.

I set both cameras to the same time (so I thought) the day before.

They are exactly one hour apart. I imported all into Lightroom and now I am looking at chunks of random events throughout the 10 hour day. Any possible way to fix this?

Please help!

May 09, 2017 at 04:48 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time Issue

Adobe Lightroom has a feature for editing the photo capture time in your metadata. Itís found under Metadata->Edit Capture Time. In the dialog box that pops up, youíll be able to adjust your photos to a specific date and time, shift by a certain number of hours, and change the Capture Time to the File Creation Date.

May 09, 2017 at 05:47 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Time Issue

Between the two of us we might use 5 cameras at a wedding. We now have an app on our phone that shows the time including seconds. Somewhere during the day we photograph the app with each camera. Then we sync the times in Lightroom down to the second. It's solved all our camera sync issues.

Gordon

May 09, 2017 at 08:21 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Time Issue

flash wrote:
Between the two of us we might use 5 cameras at a wedding. We now have an app on our phone that shows the time including seconds. Somewhere during the day we photograph the app with each camera. Then we sync the times in Lightroom down to the second. It's solved all our camera sync issues.

Gordon

Really ... who cares if cameras are different times.... easy peezy to fix in LR.
Do it all the time with multi shooter - multi camera - multi day Indian weddings.

Yo... flash.... do we need to guess what app you are using or what?

May 09, 2017 at 12:06 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Time Issue

Ziffl3 wrote:
do we need to guess what app you are using or what?

I guessed "time with seconds" in app store search....

May 09, 2017 at 01:20 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Time Issue

I have to use EDIT CAPTURE TIME in LR more often then I'd like. One or two (cough cough) of my associated would never sync their clocks if I didn't ask them to and I know ding them (financally) if their cameras aren't sync'd before I shoot.

It's pretty easy. Make your clock (with seconds) visible on your computer and make sure it's set to calibrate to a known network clock. Then, grab a body and make sure it's aligned with your computer clock. Now repeat. Takes ... a minute?

May 09, 2017 at 01:48 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Time Issue

In LR, you can grab all images shot by one cam and change the time by that one hour difference. Google it. I forgot how, but I've had to do it once or twice. lol It works just fine.

May 09, 2017 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jefzor

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Time Issue

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My cameras' times drift apart 3 minutes/year...
I'll leave this link case anyone's still looking for a solution:
https://fstoppers.com/video/how-easily-time-sync-your-files-lightroom-3271

May 09, 2017 at 05:25 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Time Issue

Jefzor wrote:
Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My cameras' times drift apart 3 minutes/year...
I'll leave this link case anyone's still looking for a solution:
https://fstoppers.com/video/how-easily-time-sync-your-files-lightroom-3271

Same, my camera times all drift. I sync at the daylight savings time intervals twice a year. Every single shoot/event/wedding, I just take photos of the ground at the same time for both cameras. Syncing time in LR is just part of my workflow. When you plan ahead and have a shot to sync, it is a snap.

May 09, 2017 at 06:56 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Time Issue

Ziffl3 wrote:
Really ... who cares if cameras are different times.... easy peezy to fix in LR.
Do it all the time with multi shooter - multi camera - multi day Indian weddings.

Yo... flash.... do we need to guess what app you are using or what?

I use Android and my app is called "clock". Now you know why I didn't name it. Basically it's a big screen digital clock with seconds. There are heaps of them. for both iOS and Android.

After you've done that select each camera individually in LR metadata and select the shot of the phone time and then CMD )cntrl) A to select all the rest of the files from that camera. Use the "edit capture time" command in LR and change the time to the one on the phone screen. All the files will be shifted by the same amount. Repeat for each body and all camera are synced to the second. Takes me about 1 minute to do four cameras.

Gordon

May 09, 2017 at 08:34 PM
Jefzor

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Time Issue

flash wrote:
I use Android and my app is called "clock". Now you know why I didn't name it. Basically it's a big screen digital clock with seconds. There are heaps of them. for both iOS and Android.

After you've done that select each camera individually in LR metadata and select the shot of the phone time and then CMD )cntrl) A to select all the rest of the files from that camera. Use the "edit capture time" command in LR and change the time to the one on the phone screen. All the files will be shifted by the same amount.
...Show more

Back in the old days we had analog clocks and you actually needed skill and patience to operated them. We calibrated them with the news or the nearest church tower. Kids these days have it easy with their apps and digital clocks.

May 09, 2017 at 08:47 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Time Issue

I got it done guys. Thanks a ton for sending me in the right direction!

May 10, 2017 at 03:21 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Time Issue

To me, syncing all the camera clocks before a shoot is like charging batteries and clearing the memory cards.

May 10, 2017 at 03:49 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Time Issue

LeeSimms wrote:
To me, syncing all the camera clocks before a shoot is like charging batteries and clearing the memory cards.

Actually .... i say let it go!!!! live on the edge!

-Mark

ps. the battery thing and memory cards ... that could be handy.

May 10, 2017 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password