FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Wimberley Sidekick

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wimberley Sidekick

there are many ballheads that will do just that. there is no exclusivity or superiority related to the Arca Swiss product.

i have used my Sidekick on my Markins M10 RRS BH55 and BH40.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wimberley Sidekick

I've been using my Sidekick on a Manfrotto 468MG head, for many years.

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:07 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wimberley Sidekick

SoundHound wrote:
The Sidekick/Ballhead is a versatile and compact combo for those who typically use a ballhead. However, optimum results are realized with heavy lenses. Something like a pro body and 70-200 F2.8 will not balance well. If you are a regular of supertele user a Wimberely full gimbal is the best.

Hmm, not sure how you have yours set up but my Sidekick and Foba Superball balance just fine with a Pro body Nikon and my 70-200 F2.8 VR II. Mind you, I have an RRS L10 plate on the lens foot so I get more front extension for perfect balance. It is my goto setup for studio head shots leaving the pan lock loose on the Foba and the tilt loose on the Sidekick for rapid realignment when the subject moves around.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:36 PM
ross attix
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wimberley Sidekick

This is incorrect. No stress on the lens mount. I have used a sidekick a lot with 400 2.8L IS version 1 with no trouble.

DGC1 wrote:
I have heard it said that on heavy lenses it puts stress on the lens mount as they were designed to be held from the bottom, not the side. Don't know if it's a fact or not.

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:17 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wimberley Sidekick

JBPhotog wrote:
Hmm, not sure how you have yours set up but my Sidekick and Foba Superball balance just fine with a Pro body Nikon and my 70-200 F2.8 VR II. Mind you, I have an RRS L10 plate on the lens foot so I get more front extension for perfect balance. It is my goto setup for studio head shots leaving the pan lock loose on the Foba and the tilt loose on the Sidekick for rapid realignment when the subject moves around.

70-200 F2.8 is a small lens. Try 400 f2.8 , 500 f4 and you will know a Wimberly full gimbal is a must.

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wimberley Sidekick

nugeny wrote:
70-200 F2.8 is a small lens. Try 400 f2.8 , 500 f4 and you will know a Wimberly full gimbal is a must.

The first four people who replied to this thread are happy users of the Sidekick with 500/4 and 600/4 lenses, and more have replied since.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Wimberley Sidekick

ross attix wrote:
This is incorrect. No stress on the lens mount. I have used a sidekick a lot with 400 2.8L IS version 1 with no trouble.

Go back to the first page of this thread where you will see I was thoroughly chastised for this comment...

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Wimberley Sidekick

nugeny wrote:

I think you missed that Soundhound said a pro body and a 70-200 don't balance well on a Sidekick, not my experience. I said nothing about a 400 F2.8 or 500 F4. However, for a light backpack setup my Sidekick is more than ample for my 300mm F2.8.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Toad23

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Wimberley Sidekick

I have been using a sidekick for around 4 years. I absolutely have nothing bad to say about it I love it. I use it with the BH40 and generally shoot the 200-500 but have used the 500 f4 as well. solid and versatile.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Wimberley Sidekick

I have a Gimble head om my monopod and a sidekick to use with my bh-55 on my primary tripod. Except for the point of mount being on the side as I recall vs the gimble supporting it from the bottom and a few other cons I like it

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:15 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Wimberley Sidekick

I have been using the Sidekick since I first bought a big lens and it works great as a side mount gimbal with a good ball head. With my Kirk BH-1 it supports the 8 lb. 500mm f/4 lens with no problems. I tried it with the lighter Kirk BH-3 ballhead and had problems. When I got the 11 lb. 600mm f/4 lens the Sidekick and Kirk were not able to support the load and I bought a Custom Brackets gimbal that is the best gimbal available.

What I love about the Sidekick is that I can have it in my camera bag and be using the ball head with my camera and shorter lenses and then attach the Sidekick, which takes 10 seconds, and I have a gimbal to use with a telephoto lens. No need for two heads or two tripods for landscape and wildlife photography which is great for travel and even local excursions.

The Sidekick did not work well with the Sigma Sport lens with its odd foot design and with small cameras like the D7200 it could be awkward to reach the controls on the side of the camera closest to the Sidekick but with a larger camera and most telephotos (including my 80-400mm, 200-500mm, 500mm f/4) it works very well. It does require the use of a strong ball head and I quickly found that most ball head manufacturers greatly exaggerate the load specs for their ball heads. I have tried many ball heads rated at 50 or more pounds that were not as strong as my Kirk BH-3 rated at 15 lbs.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:45 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password