FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Wimberley Sidekick

Mort2k
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wimberley Sidekick

Evening All.

I was wondering if anyone could share experiences with the Wimberley Sidekick ?

I am considering buying one and using it with my BH-1 head. I was wondering how well it works as a solution? does it provide the Gimbal features and use or is it lacking as a solution compared to a full gimbal setup ?

I want to try and avoid the cost of a second set of legs and the need to travel with two sets.

Also a Duck to brighten the thread

20140506-IMG_2866.jpg

Thanks
Rob

May 08, 2017 at 10:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wimberley Sidekick

The SideKick is fine for a 500/4 and even larger. The Kirk BH-1 is a solid head, so that should be a fine base for the SideKick. An issue is that there is some risk of fumbling the side-mount setup for the on/off process if you have to switch lenses 20 times a day. As well, a full gimbal should have an A-S channel for a flash setup or other attachments. The SideKick is also great for multi-row panning/stitching.

EBH

May 08, 2017 at 10:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wimberley Sidekick

I've been using a SideKick on a Manfrotto 468MG head with my 500/4 L IS, for many years.

May 08, 2017 at 11:00 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wimberley Sidekick

Works for me with 600II and 2x on the big Kirk ballhead + sturdy 3 series legs. I like it more than the big Wimberly and even sturdier 5 series legs which were a load to carry. The big advantage is that you have one tripod and head that can suit just about every still situation.

May 08, 2017 at 11:13 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wimberley Sidekick

I used a Sidekick with the telephoto lenses up to 500mm f/4 and even though I like the idea, I've noticed that lenses had slight difficulty when rotating on a tripod collar. I've noticed it on 400mm 5.6, 300mm 2.8, and 500mm f/4. The heavier the lens the more resistance I felt. Maybe it was just me but I felt it was slowing me down when photographing birds in-flight. All of it went away when lens was mounted as it supposed to be, with a tripod lens plate under and not on a side as with a Sidekick. And since wildlife photography is my main interest, I purchased the gimbal head.

You don't have to have two tripods. You can always switch tripod heads. It is very easy and can be done under 30 seconds

If you are looking for weight and $$$ savings, I would suggest the Jobu Jr. 3 gimbal head: http://amzn.to/2qjMo8e

For travels, where landscapes are part of your shooting, Sidekick can be a good solution but when shooting at home, I would keep a ballhead for landscapes and buy a gimbal for wildlife...

May 09, 2017 at 01:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wimberley Sidekick

kosin wrote:
I used a Sidekick with the telephoto lenses up to 500mm f/4 and even though I like the idea, I've noticed that lenses had slight difficulty when rotating on a tripod collar. I've noticed it on 400mm 5.6, 300mm 2.8, and 500mm f/4. The heavier the lens the more resistance I felt. Maybe it was just me but I felt it was slowing me down when photographing birds in-flight. All of it went away when lens was mounted as it supposed to be, with a tripod lens plate under and not on a side as with a Sidekick. And since
...Show more

The collar should rotate freely regardless of the orientation of the foot. The removable collars aren't so smooth though.

I have the SideKick, Jobu MK 4 and the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe. My order of preference for a 500-600 mm lens is MK 4 > SideKick > Jr 3. The Mk 4 with the QR dovetail + 38mm ball head with QR dovetail weigh about the same as the BH-55 + Sidekick. In mixed shootin I prefer the former combo for primarily tele use and the latter for nearly half to mainly landscapes.

EBH

May 09, 2017 at 02:26 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wimberley Sidekick

I have an ebay full gimbal on my Manfrotto monopod and a sidekick to use with my b&h-55 head on my cf legs

May 09, 2017 at 02:40 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wimberley Sidekick

Don't do a lot of long lens shooting, but recently bought a used Sidekick to try with my Fuji X-T1 and 100-400 lens. Used with a Markins M20 head, the Sidekick is proving to be a very useful tool, and so far, works very well for my intended purpose.

May 09, 2017 at 04:38 AM
Mort2k
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wimberley Sidekick

Thanks everyone really useful info

May 09, 2017 at 09:54 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wimberley Sidekick

Here's a situation where it also shines. When doing headshots with a lens that doesn't have an Arca Swiss plate but the camera does, I mount the camera on the Sidekick. Using a RRS MPR-192 rail and some clamps, this lets me get it balanced so the panning clamp of the ball head and the tilting clamp of the Sidekick only move in their one intended axis. Perfect for headshots where the model position is dynamic and where loosening off the ball head adds yaw which is slower to compensate for.

May 09, 2017 at 05:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wimberley Sidekick

I have heard it said that on heavy lenses it puts stress on the lens mount as they were designed to be held from the bottom, not the side. Don't know if it's a fact or not.

May 09, 2017 at 07:15 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wimberley Sidekick

DGC1 wrote:
I have heard it said that on heavy lenses it puts stress on the lens mount as they were designed to be held from the bottom, not the side. Don't know if it's a fact or not.

This is not possible, remember lenses with lens collars that include a foot also swivel 360 degrees.

What you may be referring to is holding or mounting the camera body when a heavy lens is mounted, one that has a lens collar. The extra weight hanging off the cameras lens mount can stress the mount. Lenses without a lens collar are not heavy enough to stress the lens mount.

May 10, 2017 at 01:54 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wimberley Sidekick

No, I meant what I said. I said I have read about this and as stated, I don't know if it's a fact. Nothing to do with the camera body. I do know that the lens collar is more likely to bind when supported this way. I also know there are many, many happy Sidekick owners and users.

May 10, 2017 at 06:09 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wimberley Sidekick

DGC1 wrote:
No, I meant what I said. I said I have read about this and as stated, I don't know if it's a fact. Nothing to do with the camera body. I do know that the lens collar is more likely to bind when supported this way. I also know there are many, many happy Sidekick owners and users.

Okay, well then all I can give you is my personal experience. In no way does mounting the lens in a Sidekick held sideways cause any issues with binding when rotating the lens in the collar. Just doesn't happen with my Nikkor lenses.

May 10, 2017 at 08:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wimberley Sidekick

DGC1 wrote:

JBPhotog wrote:
Okay, well then all I can give you is my personal experience. In no way does mounting the lens in a Sidekick held sideways cause any issues with binding when rotating the lens in the collar. Just doesn't happen with my Nikkor lenses.

Nor with my Canon lenses.

May 10, 2017 at 09:42 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wimberley Sidekick

Noted. All I am doing is reporting what I have seen elsewhere. Over and out...

May 10, 2017 at 09:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wimberley Sidekick

I've had a Wimberley SideKick since 2004 and also other side-mount gimbals more recently. There have never been ill effects from the side mount with well over a dozen Nikkor and Canon lenses. The main risk is if the foot is not engaged in the clamp it can topple. It's much easier to use the bottom mount of a full gimbal, especially with 10+ lb. setups.

EBH

May 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wimberley Sidekick

DGC1 wrote:
Noted. All I am doing is reporting what I have seen elsewhere. Over and out...

Feel free to share these sources, sounds like interesting reading.

May 11, 2017 at 01:03 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wimberley Sidekick

JBPhotog wrote:

I had opposite experience. Like I said before, I've used the sidekick with a 400mm 5.6, 300mm 2.8 and 500mm f/4 and have noticed that the heavier the lens the more resistance there was. And with the same lens mounted on a ballhead or gimbal head, with the lens plate on the bottom instead on a side, everything was fine. And no, it wasn't a lot but it was significant for me, especially with a 500mm f/4. Personal preference, I guess.

Also, with a sidekick you are adding additional point of failure by adding an extra knob/mount that can get loose. It doesn't happen to often but still you have 2 knobs/mounts to worry about instead of 1

Don't take me wrong, I did like my Sidekick but I enjoy and feel much safer with a proper gimbal...

May 11, 2017 at 01:28 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wimberley Sidekick

References to the problem were on Naturescapes forums. And the above post seems to back it up, does it not?

May 11, 2017 at 03:12 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password