FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Upgrade quandry

technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Upgrade quandry

Bsmooth wrote:
I've had both versions of the 100-400. With the first I did get some good shots, and AF was rather hit or miss, but it was either a complete miss or pretty much in focus. With the second version it focuses closer, and is amazing when it nails the focus.Having said that though it does miss AF at times as well, but it does it differently. You get quite a few almost shots, and by that I mean its not just a quick look and you say thats wayy out of focus, these are just missing focus.
Yes it could
...Show more

After doing a first field test with my 100-400II (and 80D body) I see some obvious problems with this lens for closeups (see other thread). The rendering at 400mm is very 'soft' with nothing really sharp, everything covered in some soft 'glow' especially from wide open to f/7.1, and something that looks like severe LoCA. Even at f/8 the softness is still obvious compared to my old 4/300IS at f/5.6 or f/8 for similar subjects.

I also have way too many AF misses with this lens compared to my 4/300IS and servo AF (Zone AF on the 80D) acts extremely nervous at close focus. Now part of that may be because I mostly tried at 400mm which is more critical than 300mm, but others also seem to notice problems with closeups. I'm going to test again within a few days at 300mm and hope that works better, but otherwise I'm going to sell the 100-400II because closefocus work is important to me and for those few other shots I'm not going to drag this heavy lens along.

Just to be sure: nothing to complain about infinity shots, they are tack sharp and I didn't notice any problems in earlier testing with flat subjects of A5-A4 size. I'm taking pictures of dragonflies which means working close to the MFD; clearly this isn't the best lens for that, maybe I should not have sold that old and clunky 4/300 IS :-(

May 09, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Upgrade quandry

Having used the 100-400II extensively at a butterfly farm for close-ups I didn't see any issues of concern. Images were nice and sharp. But I will check again ASAP. I wouldn't sell it, if there are issues Canon needs to address them, you may have a dud lens or it needs adjustment.

May 09, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Upgrade quandry

Pixel Perfect wrote:
.......... if there are issues Canon needs to address them, you may have a dud lens or it needs adjustment.

Ditto. Don't know why you would not have it checked and/or repaired. It is generally considered one, if not the best, general-purpose lenses, and praised for its MFD.

Even does the job well with a 1.4x TC:

May 09, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Upgrade quandry

I voted for lens -

per dxomark - 7dii sensor is only better than 7di at high iso's for dynamic range but pretty even everywhere else
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-7D___977_619

I have a 7di and 7dii and really liked my 7d1. I also liked my 7dii.

I have noticed that my 100-400v1 does not do as well on my 7dii - I am not sure if that is because its old or not. Or just that I have been using my 200-400 and the 100-400 is way less good.

But my recommendation is based on - generally buy optics over body. Bodies have marginal improvements and short obsolence. The lens will last 10 years and keep 2/3 its value. You will want the latest and greatest 7dx in 3 years and it will be worth 1/2 the value. And the 7dii will not deliver a big jump in your performance as a photographer.

If you cannot take a good picture with 7d and 100-400v1, you should consider a 5div for a big gain on iso performance.

So save for a 5div is my recommendation. [That I did not follow myself ]

May 09, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Upgrade quandry

I had a love hate relationship with the 7D. On many level it was fantastic camera and introduced great ergonomics, first real update in AF for a non 1 series camera since the ancient EOS 5 film camera, had great shooting speed, nice big VF etc. At times the AF was superb, and the IQ could be excellent even at high ISO. However I also found the AF was erratic, it was not stable in longer burst, you had to take short burst and pump the AF to reacquire bizarrely lost focus, it hated back lighting, sometimes even at lower ISO the IQ would be rubbish, you just never seemed to know what it return. The sweet spot for great IQ was relatively small but it wasn't always clear what that spot was. In the end I sold it as I was finding the 1DIII was superior in every way even if it meant losing a lot of reach. When the 1D4 came along it didn't matter at all. The 7DII whilst overall a better camera came out too late, if it ha of been released 2 years earlier I could have lived with the sensor, but seeing what the FF were capable of and that Canon finally put 1D class AF into them made me forget all about APS-C. When the 5DsR came along I switched to that for best of both worlds, amazing IQ for landscape, and the same reach as the 7DII when FL limited yet better IQ at all ISO's. Only thing you miss the high fps but you can work around it 90% of the time.

Would love to see a 7D3 that was a big step forward but I'm not holding my breath and am certain if it comes you won't see it for another year. But unless the sensor is a big improvement over the 80D I'll stick to FF.

May 09, 2017 at 06:26 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Upgrade quandry

"If you cannot take a good picture with 7d and 100-400v1, you should consider a 5div for a big gain on iso performance."

If you can't take a good picture with the 7D and the 100-400v1, maybe you should keep working on technique and your workflow process. I think it's a wonderful camera that can produce stunning results; look at the pictures Imagemaster has consistently created with his 7D! Yes, FF cameras offer some advantages, but a 7D in the right hands can do amazing things.

Andy

May 09, 2017 at 08:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Upgrade quandry

Sometimes we just don't gel with a piece of kit and it's best to kick it - like the 7D for example.

By all accounts the V2 100-400 is much better - if you enjoy the focal length, and can afford it, it would be a worthy upgrade.

May 09, 2017 at 08:29 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Upgrade quandry

I'd lean towards the 100-400 II, I haven't used one, but I handled one and the mfd is impressive.

From what I have heard, the optics are excellent, of course the 100-400 I is good, too.

I doubt you'll see huge advances going from one aps body to another, maybe if one was a lot newer. I don't think the MP increase is necessarily a big deal.

FF would be your biggest jump in iq imo, but to get it you have to give up reach.

May 10, 2017 at 11:04 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Upgrade quandry

7D2 has a much better sensor in terms of the AA filter. The original 7D has such a overbearing AA filter and such a terrible noise pattern that it drove my poor college aged self to save up an extra year to buy a 5D2.

The new 100-400 II is supposed to be quite a bit sharper than the original. Plus, you get rid of that push/pull nonsense.

May 10, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Upgrade quandry

kezeka wrote:
The new 100-400 II is supposed to be quite a bit sharper than the original. Plus, you get rid of that push/pull nonsense.

The push-pull is the one thing I miss on the mkii lens. Whemn zooing while tracking I find it far easier to hold the lens steady when sliding the lens in and out than when twisting the hand that is supporting the lens.

May 11, 2017 at 02:40 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Upgrade quandry

Mikehit wrote:
The push-pull is the one thing I miss on the mkii lens. Whemn zooing while tracking I find it far easier to hold the lens steady when sliding the lens in and out than when twisting the hand that is supporting the lens.

+1. I found the push/pull superior for changing focal-lengths, both in speed and steadiness. And both air and lens elements move within the lens, regardless of push/pull or twisting.

It is my understanding that the new Sigma 100-400 has the option of using either.

May 11, 2017 at 09:04 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Upgrade quandry

I prefer a twist zoom but I have to admit that the push-pull design is really nice for locating small subjects then quickly max zooming them into frame. Not to say the twist zoom can't do it but the push-pull seems so much easier to do in practice.

May 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM
JimClark
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Upgrade quandry

Well I ordered one of the Tamron 150-600 G2 lenses to try on a short trip. I tested it and it was very consistent. Consistently front focused and consistently was inconsistent in focusing. Back in the box she goes to B&H. Guess I will just have to start saving money. My old 100-400 works well with my 7D. Should be even better as I made a slight adjustment as it was back focusing slightly.

May 15, 2017 at 05:13 PM
Robfowler

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Upgrade quandry

Hey Guys,

You seem to know abit about Canon's and I was hoping you could help me out.
I'm heading away next weekend with some friends, and was hoping to get a good quality camera that will take some decent pics (Always been abit into photography) however before spending money on a camera - like the canon mk 111 I was thinking I could rent one? Anyone used Fat Lama before? Possibly a camera like this one - https://fatlama.com/rentals/london/h...m-f40-60990299 it's got a couple of lenses with it too?

Please give me your advice

Rob

May 16, 2017 at 09:22 AM
castlekeeper01
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Upgrade quandry

Nine out of ten times when I get discouraged with gear performance I'm overlooking the most important photographic factor - me. Technique will trump gear more often than $$ on "better" gear. To be sure, new and shiny stuff is more fun than critically examining my images and learning what more I can do with what I have. Alas, I'm a boy who loves his toys. I also want to improve my technique, and don't have unlimited $.

So after owning dozens of bodies and lenses, I'm requiring myself to identify and reproduce specific deficiencies for which equipment remedies can be tested and verified before I purchase new gear.

(In that regard I lean heavily on FM contributors for their experience and expertise. This community has taught me more than local clubs or subscription lessons. Just sayin'.)

Gear lust is an easy illness to catch. It's contagious, and the manufacturers are constantly feeding dissatisfaction. Some FM posts sound like they are written by children in January already bored with their Christmas toys, speculating on what Santa is building for next year. But I digress.

Gear does age, advancements are made, and one can't sleep on evolving technology. Just be aware that keeping up with the Jones' is a common distraction from the path of learning. Make sure you know exactly what improvements you are looking for, and verify with trusted others that the gear you are considering will deliver.

Your post is a great first step, and you've received responses from some of FM's best members. Keep asking and learning. And don't forget to check out, maintain and improve your most important tool.

Most importantly - keep shooting with what you have! Good luck!

May 19, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Upgrade quandry

I'm a glass before body man.

May 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Upgrade quandry

garyvot wrote:
From my perspective the correct answer to this question depends entirely on your individual copies of the camera and lens.

I've seen both sharp and less sharp copies of the 100-400L. Some people won't believe this but my last copy was so good I debated for a long time before finally selling it for the Mark II. In the end the upgrade for me was more about the improved stabilization and focus speed than image quality.

On the other hand, I have yet to meet a 7D body that I cared for.

So in short, if your lens is solid then
...Show more

+1 I have upgraded both - IMHO the 100-400 Mk2 is significantly better than the Mk1 BUT the 7D2 is a world better than the 7D!!!

May 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Upgrade quandry

Robfowler wrote:
Hey Guys,

You seem to know abit about Canon's and I was hoping you could help me out.
I'm heading away next weekend with some friends, and was hoping to get a good quality camera that will take some decent pics (Always been abit into photography) however before spending money on a camera - like the canon mk 111 I was thinking I could rent one? Anyone used Fat Lama before? Possibly a camera like this one - https://fatlama.com/rentals/london/h...m-f40-60990299 it's got a couple of lenses with it too?

Please give me your advice

Rob

You will get more replies to your question if you start your own thread, rather than posting a question on someone else's thread that is discussing a different subject.

May 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.