New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Rookie Portrait mistake

Pyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rookie Portrait mistake

I'm a sports shooter, but inevitably, like all of us, I became a "guy with a camera" to help a friend out with some headshots. Straightforward setup, with one med. Octo set high and to camera left about 3 ft from subject, and a strip box set camera right, behind subject for separation.

In the edits, I noticed the "double" reflection of the Octo in subject's left eye, but not his right one - this occurred on multiple shots. Maybe I'm not looking closely enough at other's images, but I have never noticed this before.

1) What did I do wrong?
2) I didn't even attempt to correct in Photoshop for fear I would just make this worse - but is there a fix?

Thanks, much appreciate the insights from you guys.

Edited image

Double reflection of Octo in right eye

May 08, 2017 at 08:51 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rookie Portrait mistake

I don't think you did anything wrong here. Is he wearing contacts? That could cause that. Not really a big deal and I doubt anyone would really notice. It's a super easy fix to clone out though if it really bothers you. I thought the "rookie" mistake was to have the camera too low making his double chin more prominent, or having the blown out cuff being the brightest thing in the frame. Great stache though.

May 08, 2017 at 12:25 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rookie Portrait mistake

don't worry about catchlight reflections in your subjects, my clients have never mentioned them in 20+ years. exposure and posing could be improved.

May 08, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rookie Portrait mistake

Thanks, guys -
He was not wearing contacts - and i appreciate the comments about posing, etc. In this image he was imitating the pose of a local business owner known for being a prima donna and arrogant sob - so, I plead not guilty on that one -

However as to the camera position, that was absolutely on me - not shooting these before, i started with the "position the camera at eye level" - but (as my wife, and every other female I know told me) moving the camera higher would have mitigated the chin issue. - but is that your starting place for all headshots, or just those that need some help with neck issues?

May 08, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rookie Portrait mistake

Every person's body is different, which is why you should be assessing the face and body from the moment you greet them for a portrait sitting. There are so many potential issues to be considered if you want to really take stock in a person's face. A good place to start is reading Peter Hurley's book "The Headshot". Whether you want to emulate Hurley's style or not, he goes into great detail on issues relating to eyes, a person's "best" side, jawline, etc. It's a good read.

May 08, 2017 at 01:20 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rookie Portrait mistake

so, i am curious on the reason(s) of the double reflection?

do you have a reflective fg or bg?

May 08, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rookie Portrait mistake

Good counsel, Steve - thanks - I leave most of this work to the pros, but its obvious if i get cornered again I need to work harder to avoid similar challenges.

tntcorp - me too. My theory is that the octo was at such an oblique angle that it hit the white of his eye at a different angle than the iris. Best I've got

May 08, 2017 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.