Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

I get my clients to fill out two forms; a wedding timeline and a shot list for the family formals.

Right now I'm using Google Forms for both, but I'm not happy with the front end UI nor the backend UI (which is truly awful, especially on mobile).

Anyone have a form service that they'd recommend?

May 08, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

I use the form builder in Tave (studio management software).

I know... not what you are looking for.

May 08, 2017 at 01:50 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

On our Wordpress site I use Gravity Forms. On our SquareSpace site, their tools are pretty good. My wife lives on Tavé and has a couple there.

I prefer Gravity.

May 08, 2017 at 02:45 PM
JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

If your website is based on Wordpress, you can install Contact Form 7. That's what I use, which is nice as it's part of my website and follows my branding. Once filled out the form is emailed to me and I can reformat it. I only use one form for both the timeline and formals.

May 08, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

JotForm

May 08, 2017 at 03:28 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

google docs or honestly for most weddings the planner does most of it.

May 08, 2017 at 04:48 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

I use paper.

I like to have contact with my clients and I write details and notes with them sitting in front of me. I use blank paper but I have been doing it so long I set things out in the same way and position every time so I can look at the spot on the sheet that has the info I want.

For some strange reason my clients aren't racing round frantically every single second of their day or week and they DO come to see me and talk on the phone as well. I do very little on the net unless I have to and even then I get the info in email conversations rather than just having them fill out a form.

As most of my work is local I find sitting with them and talking to them face to face allows me to build better rapport and a closer business relationship which translates into better sales and plentiful and enthusiastic referrals.

The more the world moves to automated client handling, treating them like a number and processing them like cattle, the more effective I find the personal touch works for me.

May 09, 2017 at 07:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

InSanE
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

Hate filling out forms so I dont make my clients fill them either. Feels like customs.
I ask them the necessary shit and write it down.
Done.

May 09, 2017 at 07:43 AM
JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

glort wrote:
The more the world moves to automated client handling, treating them like a number and processing them like cattle, the more effective I find the personal touch works for me.

We do both- they fill out a form, and then we meet. We're always looking to strike the right balance between efficiency and a personal experience for our clients. Frankly, writing by hand a list of formals is a waste of my time and not a meaningful client interaction. Having an electronic copy of the schedule means that when I do something dumb like forget the printout of the timeline I can just pull it up on my phone in a second. Plus, with all the details written up ahead of time the meeting tends to focus more on the upcoming excitement of the wedding and is more personal.

May 09, 2017 at 01:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

I must be old school. I always created my own fillable PDFs for this type of stuff. Emailed it to them, they filled it out at their convenience, saved it, and sent it back. Always worked just fine.

I had my own online version I created at one time (I always liked doing my own carts, forms, etc.), but I found basic distributed PDFs were far more client and time-friendly, and put them in control of filling/submitting the info at their leisure... even with interruption.

After my first year of two, I went to dumping forms altogether and just having one final phone consultation near their date for the timeline. After all, most brides don't even have this until the last week or so before the wedding.

I never asked for shotlists. Asking for a list of important images [people] I wouldn't think of is one thing; but a shotlist... hell no. lol

May 09, 2017 at 05:04 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

amonline wrote:
I never asked for shotlists. Asking for a list of important images [people] I wouldn't think of is one thing; but a shotlist... hell no. lol

I agree.

It's my JOB to know what freaking formals to take. WTF would I need a list

Yep, the aunty that is especially close or the neighbour across the road that is like a relative, for sure but I drum it into them to ask me on the day for that. they know to ask for whatever they want and those very few special people I may write down but if they are that special to the couple, they are hardly forgotten.
Everyone else is a no brainer. Why the hell would I need a shot list to remember to include grandparents or god parents? I'll ask and if they don't have/ want them I'll move on.

As fore creative shot lists, well how creative are they if pre planned? Sure I'll ask and not if they have anything specific in mind but I tend to work on looks and feel not specific duplicated shiots and I like to see what strikes US on the day. Pretty much every job I come home with something I have never done and had not thought of just from looking around ans seeing what I can make of the situation there and then.

I find those spontaneous shots the best of all.

May 09, 2017 at 05:25 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

JohnnyArguedas wrote:
We do both- they fill out a form, and then we meet. We're always looking to strike the right balance between efficiency and a personal experience for our clients.

I take notes and details when I see the people. It allows me to cover aspects of things they wouldn't think of "filling out a form" and build rapport.
I don't personally equate filling out forms with high end products or service.

Forms shit me to tears. They are something I have to suffer when I need to re register my car or do the medical check for my license. They sure as hell are not something I want to fill out when engaging a personal service. No one likes or enjoys filling out forms and I can't think of anything much more impersonal.

If I went to see someone that holds themselves out as giving personal service and looking after me and the first thing they did was shove a form at me to fill in, I would be on the back foot and they would be on an uphill battle to win me back from there.

I much rather sit down with the couple and get the info I need through a pleasant conversation that naturally flows and allows me to learn more about what they want and how to do the best for them. Not like me writing down the info limits the number of bookings I can handle!

Frankly, writing by hand a list of formals is a waste of my time and not a meaningful client interaction.

You can say that again!
I know my job. I know what to take and I make sure that the clients let me know the special people they want that I wouldn't automatically do. I don't shoot every guest unless requested so writing down all these combinations would be a waste of my time as would be shooting, processing and delivering them.

OTOH, if this is something you have to have, I would say providing your clients with personal service and not treating them like a number would be a HIGHLY beneficial rapport building use of your time. To me you are pretty much saying " Not worth wasting my time on, you waste yours on it instead."

Having an electronic copy of the schedule means that when I do something dumb like forget the printout of the timeline I can just pull it up on my phone in a second."

Firstly, I couldn't forget the detail list because it has their address on it so I wouldn't get out the front gate without realising the mistake.
2ndly, I have 2 copies of the list with me. One in my pocket and one in the camera bag put there at least the night before when I do gear check.

3rdly, Because I went over the details with the clients at the confirmation interview 2 weeks before and re read the notes a day or 2 before the job, I have a good idea what's on it and even if I didn't have it, I'll just ask the B&G on the day if there is anyone special they want photographed.
I'm not exactly sure what these forms you are talking about have on them but if it's as I'm guessing, a list of aunt bob and aunt Sally with Fred and martha their kids with the couple, Uncle George and his husband Tom in another and so on, I have NEVER done that in 30 years and can't imagine for the life of me why you would want to!!!

If you are talking about a list that is the couple by the duckpond and another looking round the tree at each other or holding hands along the path..... aggghhh!! God forbid I need to write that down!
Surely I must have this wrong somewhere, fill me in on what these "formal" Shot lists are because I'm cringing at either one of these thoughts let along giving the couple a form for them.

Plus, with all the details written up ahead of time the meeting tends to focus more on the upcoming excitement of the wedding and is more personal.

Could not agree any less.
It's getting those details and the overall discussion that comes from asking about them that make ME writing my notes more personal and allows rapport building.
I ask and take notes of all sorts of things I don't NEED to know but the fact I ask endears me no end. When I sit down with them and get this info, they haven't yet actually booked, they are there to check me out and the fact I ask things that no one else does and throw all sorts of ideas, suggestions and even warnings at them that maybe the last 3 vultures have not puts me in a real good place with these people.

Me talking about the Dress when the bride is on her own or with her mother and being able to know what the different styles are and making her think about the difficulties about getting in and out of the cars she wants that are 2 doors or have bugger all leg room make me stand out from pretty much all the other shooters because I asked about it, I told her something from my knowledge and experience she never thought of and I didn't just talk about pictures, I tried to help her with her day in general.

Theres a reason I have the booking rate I do and it sure as shit isn't because I get them to fill out forms to make things more efficient!

If doing it does work for you, then by all means. I'm afraid the whole thing and your reasons behind it would be something that would pretty much grate me up the wrong way and therefore it's not something I would do to my clients.

:0)

May 09, 2017 at 06:10 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

This might sound odd, but I handle all of the timeline stuff over the phone or in person (very rarely) and insert the info into a form built in Microsoft Word. This allows for more of a dialogue and gives me a more clear idea of what the client actually wants.

I ask for a list for formals via e-mail, no fancy form or formatting needed.

May 09, 2017 at 06:53 PM
JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Client Forms - What Service Are You Using?

glort wrote:
Theres a reason I have the booking rate I do and it sure as shit isn't because I get them to fill out forms to make things more efficient!

If doing it does work for you, then by all means. I'm afraid the whole thing and your reasons behind it would be something that would pretty much grate me up the wrong way and therefore it's not something I would do to my clients.

Absolutely. If our way of doing things grates on you then you're right, you wouldn't be a good match for us as a potential client. And that's ok. People are different and should seek out like-minded vendors. It works for us, and our clients love us. For them filling out a form isn't some arduous task, it keeps us organized, we still provide a highly personal service, and ultimately the hugs and tears we get at the end of shooting their weddings show that they are invested in our experience.

May 10, 2017 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password