New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Kruger Day 2

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kruger Day 2

Day 2 was another lighter day, especially because the second part of the afternoon was nixed due to a SUPER intense storm that rolled through the area. Lightning actually struck a tree in camp and set it ablaze! One interesting occurrence during the rainfall was that the tortoises would move on to the tar roads because it kept them warmer due to the retained heat.

Not a ton of pics, but hope you like the ones I've got.

C&C please!

Also, I've neglected to title any of these at the moment. So feel free to ask what something is if you're curious! (The blue bird that we saw a MILLION of are European rollers - truly beautiful but so numerous! They migrated back to Europe about a week after we left)

Jeff

May 07, 2017 at 07:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kruger Day 2

Whether you title them or not, it would be great to tell us what we are seeing. I can ID some, but not all.
First, A Cutie (see, I could ID some!)
Second, Mixed here. I love the concept and its great graphic quality. But I dont think his appearing to look at wall quite works compositionally. But hey, when you have so much great stuff beyond reproach, you get the nits. It is definitely a keeper as part of the series. And it wouldn't surprise me if others react differently.
3,4,6 You nailed these!
5. Technically well done and stands well in a series. But the blocking of the eyes detracts as a single image.
7 Slightly soft? A soft rhino? I like the processing. A strong keeper.
8. So close! Might be my eyes but bottom bird looks a bit soft. If so, maybe some aggressive edge sharpening? I love the comp!

Scott

May 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kruger Day 2

#4 ... poster child for how it's done.

May 07, 2017 at 09:09 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kruger Day 2

sbeme wrote:
Whether you title them or not, it would be great to tell us what we are seeing. I can ID some, but not all.
First, A Cutie (see, I could ID some!)
Second, Mixed here. I love the concept and its great graphic quality. But I dont think his appearing to look at wall quite works compositionally. But hey, when you have so much great stuff beyond reproach, you get the nits. It is definitely a keeper as part of the series. And it wouldn't surprise me if others react differently.
3,4,6 You nailed these!
5. Technically well done and stands well in a
...Show more

Noted!

1 - Dwarf mongoose: shy, playful and gregarious. They are ALWAYS cute.

2 - Baboon. I def would rather the baboon be looking out "into the world" and not have the resulting shape, but beggars can't be choosers. I hope the positives outweigh the negatives! So far the silhouettes have been pretty polarizing and it seems like the majority don't really care for em.

3 - Impala

4 - Euro roller

5 - Euro roller. +1 @ series to work the best. Was more of a fun documentary shot! I've got a few others that I could pad this one with to give the full story, which I might do. Unfortunately I missed focus in a few! BUT, luck was on my side and the next day we got to view an almost identical sequence where this roller beat the every-living SNOT out of a poor grasshopper. I can give you the first taste of the series with a few more from this day though. It is pretty crazy seeing these dudes swoop away and then come back with a giant insect like this. They will then beat their prey against a branch to stun them so they can figure out the best way to manage to get the whole shebang down their gullets! The one from the following day kept tossing the hopper in the air trying to get the best "grip" for the final chomp.

6 - Lilac-breasted roller

7 - Rhino (). Slightly soft indeed! Looks like some missed focus on the grass, but I might be able to squeak through with this one - what do you say? Glad you like the processing!

8 - Two Cape glossy starlings and a Euro roller. Again, agreed on the "so close" nature of this one. I really liked the comp, which is why I posted it. The capture was a challenge as you had to get all three in a somewhat interesting pose all at the same time. There is definitely some softness to the one that may or may not be able to be overcome. I'll tweak at home and see how the other captures look and maybe I can come away with a keeper here.

Thanks for the feedback, Scott!!

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
#4 ... poster child for how it's done.

Thanks Kent!

Jeff

May 08, 2017 at 09:18 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kruger Day 2

Great set! And I really dig the monkey shot! Would it have been better if he was facing out to the right? Yep, probably but still a awesome shot.

I know how you feel about you little bugs and imperfections in the natural world but I'd kill the flies as they disrupt an otherwise pure clean image.

1 thru 4 are all excellent shots in my book.

Dave

May 09, 2017 at 04:03 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kruger Day 2

lighthound wrote:
Great set! And I really dig the monkey shot! Would it have been better if he was facing out to the right? Yep, probably but still a awesome shot.

I know how you feel about you little bugs and imperfections in the natural world but I'd kill the flies as they disrupt an otherwise pure clean image.

1 thru 4 are all excellent shots in my book.

Dave

Thank you Dave! Glad you brought up the flies as they were weighing on my mind. I'm curious as to what others think as well!

Jeff

May 09, 2017 at 10:35 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kruger Day 2

Beautiful imagery, please keep them coming!

May 09, 2017 at 11:30 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kruger Day 2

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Beautiful imagery, please keep them coming!

Thanks MM!

Jeff

May 10, 2017 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.