New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Kruger Day 1

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kruger Day 1

Due to travel from Sabi Sands this day was fairly short and the pics were not numerous nor especially ideal.

Kruger introduces many challenges that you don't find in the private reserves (mainly lighting/positioning/proximity/communication network), but you get to steer your own ship! We could go where we wanted and when we wanted (within park rules of course) and if we wanted to spent 10 minutes viewing some birds then we could without anyone else getting irritated.

None of these are particularly well-lit, but I tried to roll with the punches as best I could.

Now that my excuses are outta the way, C&C and let's hope tomorrow brings some better opportunities!

Jeff

May 07, 2017 at 10:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kruger Day 1

1,2,5,3,4 in that order. This is you best elly shot.Love that first one. Great set.

May 07, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kruger Day 1

Fantastic pictures!

May 07, 2017 at 11:10 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kruger Day 1

These bird photos are superlative.

With the elephant there appears to be a dramatic change in skin tone and texture on the its left side. Is that caused by mud rolling?

May 07, 2017 at 05:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kruger Day 1

ben egbert wrote:
1,2,5,3,4 in that order. This is you best elly shot.Love that first one. Great set.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! I don't think I'm gonna sell you or Dave on these silhouettes. Tempted to keep em out until I can post them all at once. As far as the elephant shot goes, I'm glad that you like it but I can argue about it being the best one!

---------------------------------------------

Kevin T wrote:
Fantastic pictures!

Thanks Kevin!

Rick Joyce wrote:
These bird photos are superlative.

With the elephant there appears to be a dramatic change in skin tone and texture on the its left side. Is that caused by mud rolling?

Cheers Rick - thanks much for the comments! Probably a combination of wallowing in some mud and rubbing up against trees. This bull was in musth - a state of heightened testosterone in older males when it's time to breed. This makes them a lot more aggressive! You just have to watch for the signs and give them space.

Jeff

May 07, 2017 at 07:07 PM
-rce-
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kruger Day 1

ditto.

ben egbert wrote:
1,2,5,3,4 in that order.

May 07, 2017 at 07:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kruger Day 1

These are great! Hard to imagine what a good day is like!
Do you mind ID'ing the birds? I love the expression on the third.
Each image is hard to critique.

Scott

May 07, 2017 at 08:01 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kruger Day 1

-rce- wrote:
ditto.

Thanks for the picks, rce!

sbeme wrote:
These are great! Hard to imagine what a good day is like!
Do you mind ID'ing the birds? I love the expression on the third.
Each image is hard to critique.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

No prob!

1 - European roller
3 - Brown snake eagle
4 - Same brown snake eagle
5 - Another Euro roller

Jeff

May 08, 2017 at 08:50 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kruger Day 1

thx!

May 08, 2017 at 10:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kruger Day 1

1,2,4,3,5 for me in this set.

Some more goodness in all of these Jeff!

And yes! This silhouette works great! You nailed nice details in a side profile so there is no mistaking who this guy is and the perch (tree) works perfectly for this graphics style shot.
My small nit on this one would be the shiny feathers on his back. That area looks out of place with the pure B&W silhouette to me. Small nit though. Maybe a #3 on the nit scale.

Dave

May 09, 2017 at 03:18 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kruger Day 1

lighthound wrote:
1,2,4,3,5 for me in this set.

Some more goodness in all of these Jeff!

And yes! This silhouette works great! You nailed nice details in a side profile so there is no mistaking who this guy is and the perch (tree) works perfectly for this graphics style shot.
My small nit on this one would be the shiny feathers on his back. That area looks out of place with the pure B&W silhouette to me. Small nit though. Maybe a #3 on the nit scale.

Dave

Thanks for the picks and comments, Dave!

So you'll notice that a common theme in the bird silhouette pics (aside from bird silhouettes) is that nearly all of them are on dead leadwood trees. In addition to making excellent perches, the leadwoods also just look freaking cool. And when you process them like this the branches and trunks really take on this inky quality that I love. One aspect that I know you'll hate (already have!) with some is that they won't be *true* silhouettes and will sometimes have a little highlight showing through. Creative gamble for me, but to me it gives the ink strokes pressure vs. being completely consistent in coverage.

Jeff

May 09, 2017 at 10:26 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.