Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · this is still an experiment...

Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · this is still an experiment...

"Where wedding photography is Art......"

remove the 'becomes'.

Why: when you pick up a camera, create photographs of the clients wedding .... the images you deliver to client will be works of art ....

side note: Agree with glort on the European vs North american market.
-Mark.

May 10, 2017 at 08:53 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · this is still an experiment...

Reminds me of a Frank Miller graphic novel (Sin City).

May 10, 2017 at 09:07 AM
KSgal

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · this is still an experiment...

Yes, I see it.. it is Art, and as someone said, Art divides a room.

Certainly I think this style will be a hit with the younger generation. The older generation likes to see color instead - at least here in the midwest USA.

I would certainly add this to the portfolio, and make sure when someone wants this style, that includes the older generation that may be wanting prints (maybe you offer them the images before 'arting' as part of a package)

Personally, some of these hit it out of the park for me, and I'm much more drawn to them than the low contrast/filtered look that is all the rage right now.

My only thought.. warm up the highlights.. it does take on a 'horror' aspect being so stark, but I think a slight warming will take that edge off.

JMHO. YMMV.

May 10, 2017 at 03:32 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · this is still an experiment...

InSanE wrote:
I would love to see samples of this.

Google is your Friend. You could find all manner of benefits in learning how to use it and looking things up for yourself.

Thought art relates more to Europe than immigrant counties.

I can see how you could make that flawed assumption. Extremely Hypocritical given your avatar through.
One needs to broaden one's horizons and understand cultural differences to understand their art. To assume that art centres around Europe and ignore all other cultures and dismiss them with sarcastic remarks only demonstrates another area of your lack of knowledge.
Many non European cultures and their art such as our Aborigines, American Indians, The Egyptians, Japanese and Chinese, Aztecs and others whom have been around before or as long as the Europeans all had their own form and style of art and to dismiss or ignore it is very ignorant.

Each Culture has a very defined and recognisable style to their art in whatever form it is be that painting, pottery, weaving or whatever and logically, not every culture is going to find the other to their liking.

If one takes the time and has the skills to look up Wedding photography in non western/ European Countries you will see it is very different to The mainstream shown here and even Heikos creative efforts. The Asians for one have a very different style to most others but while they find " our" style not to their liking, many westerners find theirs very " Kitch".

I recognise that the Asian Holiday weddings I have done so many of want the local scenery but shot in the style of which they have grown up with and are used to.
Regardless of what anyone else thinks or their prefrences, I try to do what my paying clients ask for and will cause them to be the most happy and therefore spend the most money with me.

Heikos position is a little different as he is shooting for personal satisfaction rather than the clients or for business but the fact remains that the accepted and preferred style in the part of the world he is producing and marketing his work in has a very different cultural background and preference to that of the majority of viewers here.

May 10, 2017 at 07:55 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · this is still an experiment...

> many westerners find theirs very " Kitch".

Man, you said a lot there.

May 10, 2017 at 09:40 PM
Pinthura

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · this is still an experiment...

I agree with some others - there is an artistic element/style to it, no doubt. However, I feel that there is more to a wedding that I would hate not to capture or present for the sake of style. Don't get me wrong, I like the style and I am no pro by any means. Go with your gut and have fun doing it and earn something in return. Good luck.

May 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · this is still an experiment...

glort wrote:
Google is your Friend. You could find all manner of benefits in learning how to use it and looking things up for yourself.

No he is not, dont even know him. If he is your friend it is not nice calling him a thing while benefiting and using.

glort wrote
I can see how you could make that flawed assumption. Extremely Hypocritical given your avatar through.
One needs to broaden one's horizons and understand cultural differences to understand their art.

Funny statement after you called 100% of european art/nude photography horrific crap and in the name of 95% of US/ Canadian/ Oz and even UK photographers

May 11, 2017 at 01:13 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · this is still an experiment...

Hahahaha!
You try hard and think you are clever but you really just don't have what it takes do you mate? No matter how many times you embarrass yourself, you just don't get when to quit and be quiet!

May 11, 2017 at 04:06 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · this is still an experiment...

Pinthura wrote:
However, I feel that there is more to a wedding that I would hate not to capture or present for the sake of style.

That's something that I see as well.
The majority of shooters reading this would be subjected to certain expectations from their clients.
These are shots that may be anything but original, exciting or different but would raise questions and probably complaints if they weren't shown.

Some that I have had are shots of the back of the dress, the flowers, cake, shoes and the always done shot of the B&G cheek to cheek looking at the camera..... I'm sure there are many others in different parts that are always expected in any coverage and probably the couples grandparents had but would still be questioned if missed.
Try shooting that Jewish wedding without some of the key shots and see what the reaction is.

As difficult as that may be to grasp and comprehend what I am saying for some, those differences between expected and not may contribute to Heikos shots being marketable accessible in some areas and not so much in others.

In the end, does not matter, If he puts it out there he'll soon get the single and most important feedback he needs.

May 11, 2017 at 04:22 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · this is still an experiment...

glort wrote:
Hahahaha!
You try hard and think you are clever but you really just don't have what it takes do you mate? No matter how many times you embarrass yourself, you just don't get when to quit and be quiet!

Its true old people act like little kids. You are about to transition from kindergarten to nursery.

May 11, 2017 at 05:33 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · this is still an experiment...

Heiko a while back pointed out, to a comment of mine a kind of like yours, that his wife an associate grab that stuff while he, from time to time during the wedding, concentrate on these other shots.

Pinthura wrote:
However, I feel that there is more to a wedding that I would hate not to capture or present for the sake of style.

May 11, 2017 at 06:36 AM
Pinthura

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · this is still an experiment...

Jmraso, I had a feeling that might be the case. In fact as the OP states, it is an experiment, and for all what we know, the response (and the cas flow) might be positive!

May 11, 2017 at 07:06 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · this is still an experiment...

I was just pointing it out, in a positive way that may have got lost in my translation, I hope not !

Pinthura wrote:
Jmraso, I had a feeling that might be the case. In fact as the OP states, it is an experiment, and for all what we know, the response (and the cas flow) might be positive!

May 11, 2017 at 07:35 AM
pette87
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · this is still an experiment...

Lillian Bassman?

May 11, 2017 at 09:01 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · this is still an experiment...

I had a thought about the shots that Heiko has been presenting (which I like). I viewed his new website because I found the images and concept compelling.

I learned this on FM years ago and have adapted it for my own shooting style. A member in the people forum years ago gave the analogy of 'shooting cinematically'. He explained that generally in a movie, there are four basic kind of shots: telephoto, medium, wide, and cut-away.

It dawned on me that Heiko's images are of the cut-away variety. Found this from the internet: A cutaway is a shot that's usually of something other than the current action. It could be a different subject (eg. this cat when the main subject is its owner), a close up of a different part of the subject (eg. the subject's hands), or just about anything else.The cutaway is used as a "buffer" between shots (to help the editing process), or to add interest/information.

So on their own, they do not tell a story. They are just little slivers of the day. Abstract even. So in that sense, I think they fail for brides...unless they are actually true cut-away shots which are part of a larger story (like Heiko linked earlier). But I'm uncertain that cut-away shots on their own work.

May 11, 2017 at 01:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · this is still an experiment...

canerino wrote:
It dawned on me that Heiko's images are of the cut-away variety...

So on their own, they do not tell a story. They are just little slivers of the day. Abstract even. So in that sense, I think they fail for brides...unless they are actually true cut-away shots which are part of a larger story (like Heiko linked earlier). But I'm uncertain that cut-away shots on their own work.

I've been struggling with how to respond and I think your answer is the one I've been searching for.

I like most of the images presented, though I find overall they look a little harsh. There's a photo of the groom where the treatment makes his skin look unattractive. It's an interesting photo, but I think it would take a certain type of customer who would want to include it in their wedding album.

As slivers, I also think they would appeal to some customers, especially those with more cosmopolitan tastes. I don't think there was a market back in the time and place I did wedding photography professionally. I'm actually jealous of the magazine type of work Jeff Ascough, Chuck Anerino, Amy &Tony Hoffer and others do. I wish I had the technology back in the day to allow me to do available light work, to say nothing of the talent and creativity they exhibit.

Anyway, hats off to heiko for stretching his artistic boundaries and looking for a way to incorporate his personal vision in the products he offers his customers.

May 11, 2017 at 02:31 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · this is still an experiment...

jmraso wrote:
Heiko a while back pointed out, to a comment of mine a kind of like yours, that his wife an associate grab that stuff while he, from time to time during the wedding, concentrate on these other shots.

Oh, just to be clear. We are both on this way.

The images you see here are just mine, but the misses is even better with this kind of images I am afraid (0:

3 years ago I explained to my beautiful wife , so babe, this is a camera and you press here...

now she nearly becomes the visual artist in our team. I still make too much with the brain... I tell too much story. To grab something just by feel is difficult.

heiko

May 12, 2017 at 07:31 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · this is still an experiment...

Great !

heikoM wrote:
Oh, just to be clear. We are both on this way.

The images you see here are just mine, but the misses is even better with this kind of images I am afraid (0:

3 years ago I explained to my beautiful wife , so babe, this is a camera and you press here...

now she nearly becomes the visual artist in our team. I still make too much with the brain... I tell too much story. To grab something just by feel is difficult.

heiko

May 12, 2017 at 09:04 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · this is still an experiment...

FWIW, I've had three other photography brands in addition to my main one (with my name). I had a pure wedding photojournalism brand, a brand with packages/pricing exclusive to a venue group, and a third brand for a specific town (that I felt needed it's own packaging).

Websites, logos, etc are so easy to set up now and it lets you try something different without disrupting the following you've built up with a different style, business model, etc.

You could try the super art black+white coverage with it's own presentation and allow it to flourish on its own.

May 12, 2017 at 03:34 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.