FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

Saw this on Yahoo and was wondering what the opinion was here. Good photo or bad?

https://www.yahoo.com/style/emotional-wedding-moment-even-made-photographer-cry-151121076.html

May 06, 2017 at 01:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

From a purely "technical" standpoint, it could be "better" ... From an emotional and authenticity standpoint, it is raw, powerful, and for the couple, ultimately, it is perfect.

May 06, 2017 at 02:23 PM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

Might be excellent if you knew the couple and therefore more of the situation and their normal and natural expressions and fondness.

Looking at it just as just a photo, it looks like the bride is in a marriage she is very unhappy about or has been forced into. It almost looks as if she is cringing at his touch.

I fully realise that is probably not the case in real life, its just my personal impression of the photo as it stands alone. I am sure it has a different feel when viewed in context as part of the whole wedding shoot.

May 06, 2017 at 02:59 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

From a public POV, meh.

I agree with Duy. I purposely looked at the photo, without reading the story. I gave that about 30 seconds to impact me. I closed the window, and then reopened it a minute later and read the story. It was far more impacting the second time.

It's personal connection that doesn't necessarily translate to the wider audience without context.

So, good or bad photo? Different answer for different people. It wasn't outstanding to me without the connection.

May 06, 2017 at 04:25 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

There are far better photos produced by the regular forum members here.
It is not a bad photo and I enjoy moments and emotion but it is going to take a hell of a photo to impress lifelong wedding photographers here.

May 06, 2017 at 04:37 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

I find it disturbing

May 06, 2017 at 05:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

InSanE wrote:
I find it disturbing

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. lol

May 06, 2017 at 07:05 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

InSanE wrote:
I find it disturbing

^^^ The force is strong with this one.

May 06, 2017 at 09:16 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

I saw it come up on some Clickbait section at the bottom of a news article I was reading.
I didn't bother with it then disregarding it as clip bait and now I have read the piece, only confirms my first assessment was correct.

I also remember laughing at another header and thinking how low " Journalism" has stooped with this crap. That particular piece of fabricated garbage was entitles " 6 things that may be ruining your dining room table. "

If thats all you need to pull the suckers in, I might have a new vocation.

"I felt constipated all day but what happened when I went to the bathroom was amazing"

" Man goes to bathroom, you won't believe what happened next!"

" Top 10 things people do in the bathroom"

"Celebs use this amazing trick in the bathroom"

" Toilet tissue Companies will hate this amazing bathroom trick"

" Constipated man tried to ban this video"

" 5 Things you need when visiting the bathroom."

" Air freshener manufacturers are furious over this Video"....

As they say, same ship, different clickbait.

May 07, 2017 at 10:15 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

This may sound cynical, but my bride yesterday would cry at the drop of a hat. I didn't find that it helped the photos in any way.

May 07, 2017 at 01:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

LeeSimms wrote:
This may sound cynical, but my bride yesterday would cry at the drop of a hat. I didn't find that it helped the photos in any way.

It's interesting you mention this. I think one type of crying is sometimes a bad sign. I had two brides cry profusely in my first couple of years of shooting weddings for what seemed no reason. I really got a strong intuition that those relationships were not what they visually seemed. My intuitions were proved right within only months in both cases, as both opted for nearly instant divorces. Sometimes, a specific type of crying is VERY telling. In these two instance, that type showed right through.

May 07, 2017 at 04:30 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

amonline wrote:
My intuitions were proved right within only months in both cases, as both opted for nearly instant divorces.

I could spot bad situations from a mile away. Normally it was dominance/control issues either by the groom or bride or their parents.

Edited on May 10, 2017 at 03:02 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

Judging the photo from a technical aspect or with the standards of the "Fearless" world that we live in, it's so-so. But that's not how it should be judged. It should be judged in the context of which it stand, and that subject is the story. The public ate that story up, and damn right they should.

‘I have a question for you, but I want you to tell the answer to Roslyn and not me. Out of the billions of people on the planet, you’ve chosen to spend the rest of your life with Roslyn. Can you tell her why?

He deserves an award for being able to elicit that reaction with that line. I can be as cynical as anyone in terms of wedding photographer, but cynicism does not make for better photos. Love & gratitude make for better photos. He had that line saved up, used it at the right time and nailed it. That photo & that story together make for a powerful image. He deserves every ounce of hype that comes from this 15 minutes.

May 10, 2017 at 02:09 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

LeeSimms wrote:

I cry at the drop of a hat these days as well and I'm not even getting married!

Last wedding I did I was fighting back tears and trying to stop myself crying all through the day. Pretty sure that didn't help the pictures either but I was thankful for Auto Focus.
Luckily it was a stinking hot day and the tears when seen were dismissed as sweat and I got sympathy for working so hard. :0)

That was an emotional wedding for me with a lot of memories and background behind it but I can't be sure others won't bring back memories that set me off either. There are things every day multiple times that do from unlikely sources that frequently take me by surprise.

The bride at that wedding also knew she was going to get emotional and asked me not to shoot anything with tears as that was not how she wanted to remember her day. There was a part where her and her sisters got emotional and I sat there and watched it not doing a thing.
Straight away I started getting flack from the guests and parents for not getting it. I said nothing. IWhy the girl didn't want it was her reasons and I wasn't going to use them as an excuse and have someone came back and put what they wanted and missed out on as something she had done wrong in telling me not to take them. I'm only there one day, they can hate me all they like. Girl has to be around them rest of her life. I'll happily take them on the chin for her.

The " Why didn't you get that?" went on a bit later as well till the bride heard her brother in law giving me a hard time about not being ready and missing it and came up and told him that I did what she asked me to do and to leave it alone.

You rarely know what people have been though in life, what they are thinking, relating things to or where their pain is. Tears of happiness are often linked to pain of some sort.

I knew this girl many years ago and we are talking pretty much daily now. I offered to help her get her business up and running. There were things I picked up on and said straight out, you remind me of myself too much, you aren't feeling tired, you are depressed. You need to go see someone. It was then I got an outpouring of how she has suffered and struggled with depression most of her life. It's Fking sad that a lovely girl like her has been though so much and that set me off again too. e
I always said she had the weight of the world on her shoulders and was overly quiet but it wasn't till I walked the same path I could pick why.

Least I know now what tack to take with her and where she really needs help. It won't be fast but I'm determined I'm going to help her get to where she deserves to be.

I think this Picture is really click bait and there could be endless reasons she was crying. The media tend to get a picture and then build a story round it for maximum effect.
She could have been crying about anything, thoughts of a lost parent, sibling, friend not there to share her day but the media would spin it anyway they thought would get max effect.... as this one did.

Myself, I try to avoid making brides cry. Might be good for one pic, and it might be one they hate but the upset to the poroceedings and the stress and concern it causes others is significant.
No one wants to think a girl on her day is unhappy and as I said, tears of joy are rarely through happiness alone. Time the 20 people make sure she is OK, fix makeup, get her calmed down and the elephant it puts in the room for the next however long and changed the whole mood of things is not a good idea in my book.

I prefer to keep them laughing, with me, at me, doesn't matter long as it's smiles and not tears... of any kind.

May 10, 2017 at 08:37 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

amonline wrote:
My intuitions were proved right within only months in both cases, as both opted for nearly instant divorces.

I have a saying/ code when my wife asks me how the wedding went.
"Tuesday Job" is my way of saying, " I think they will last to about next Tuesday and then it will all be over."

Been right about that a few times more than I would have ever even dreamed. 4-6 weeks afer the event hen I finally get on to a parent and they tell me " They are no longer together".
And some people question why to get payment up front??

Its not the tears I go by, It's the fact the bride has fallen down in the mud walking across the park and the groom is too busy having beers with the mates and are 3 sheets to the wind anyway to even have a clue. It's the way on the day he speaks at her rather that to her and some of the comments they will direct to each other or the sentiments to others when the other is not there.
It's the way she snaps at him with vengeance and anger over little things that you don't see happy couples doing or is not rational even given the stress of the day. It's the way they talk about what they want rather than what We want not consult each other about things they should.

Sometimes the way it is so evident it's not going to work when you have known them 5 Min but you discover later in the day that your opinion is the same as everyone elses that does know them is just scary. Never known that to have the fairy tale conclusion yet, just the predictable ending.

You stand and wonder why in the hell they are even doing this in the first place? They must think it's as easy to get Divorced as it is married and it's not going to dog them the rest of their days.
So far, to my knowledge, I have not done a "had to get married" job.
Certainly done my share of pregnant brides but they had all booked me before the event, or had 14 Month pregnancy's.
I have one booked for October and the baby is about 3 months old now. Again, I was talking to
them 3 years ago about doing their wedding, they were still working out the when and wheres and had put their money down well before the news came. I don't get the impression it was an accident either. Unfortunately, I will be more surprised if the wedding does go ahead than If it is cancelled. She seems a nice girl but the guy needs a smack in the face with a shovel and I think certain members of her rather " Direct" family are not far away from giving it to him based on what I saw recently at a family event I was covering for them.

You get to learn a lot about people in this game and pick up on things. One of the real alarm bells for me is couples that have been together a long time, 10 years say and have a couple of kids and THEN decide to get married. From what I have seen, these ones get married because the wheels are falling off the relation ship and they think getting hitched is going to stick them back on again.
Couldn't be more wrong from what I have seen. It's usually a matter of months and it's all over.

I had a happy exception to that a couple of years ago. Couple had been together 25 years, had an 18 yo, a 14 yo and an 8Yo. They had sold their old house about a year earlier, moves a bit further out into a beautiful new home Debt free on what they got for the old one, Husband had a got a promo at work and she had found a job she loved and all was good and right with the world. He had asked her to marry him after about 3 months of going together and about 50 times since but she always said no, thought it was a waste of money. He wanted to do it for heir 25 years together and before their kids were getting married.

It was my first ever registry office weddings and also one of the nicest, Happiest sincere weddings I have done. After all those years the Bloke who was no pussy still had a tear in his eye giving his speech just so happy that finally after all those years the love of his life could finally be called his Mrs for real.

All I have learned and seen with my instincts tell me that one is the way they all should be and lives up to all the good Cliche's I spose everyone that gets hitched hopes for.

May 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding Photo Gone Viral

I never heard of people getting divorced so fast let alone my couples. I guess people are not so fucked up here.

May 11, 2017 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.