FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

srimmey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

My wife and I went up into the Hills last night in hopes of spotting some rain pockets and perhaps and flash or 2 of lighting, but saw neither... Instead we were treated to a killer sunset with some fun cloud structures.

On a side note Im really trying to take the time to watch the weather and document what kind of conditions mark each kind of weather event. For example what to look for to anticipate a foggy morning sun rise or a cloud inversion at sunset. So far I have found best result when there is a lot of humidity in the air and a rapid change of temperature... Anyone else have any clues to add to this?

UPDATE: Found this info while digging through articles on the web on how to anticipate fog formation. Thought you guys might find it interesting..

PS This is a Quote pulled off of a Q&A forum from someone named "Shizam" on photostack exchange

Awesome question, I am studying for my Private Pilot license and (as a photographer) found the chapter on Weather Theory facinating. Among other things, it gives a very reasonable description on the predictors for fog (and other meteorological events). It describes 4 kinds of fog and when each may/will occur:

Radiation Fog: "On clear nights, with relatively little to no wind present, radiation fog may develop. Usually, it forms in low-lying areas like mountain valleys. This type of fog occurs when the ground cools rapidly due to terrestrial radiation, and the surrounding air temperature reaches its dew point. As the sun rises and the temperature increases, radiation fog lifts and eventually burns off"

Advection Fog: "When a layer of warm, moist air moves over a cold surface, advection fog is likely to occur. Unlike radiation fog, wind is required to form advection fog. Winds of up to 15 knots allow the fog to form and intensify. Advection fog is common in coastal areas where sea breezes can blow the air over cooler landmasses."

Upslope Fog: "...occurs when moist, stable air is forced up sloping land features like a mountain range. This type of fog also requires wind for formation and continued existence. Upslope and advection fog, unlike radiation fog, may not burn off with the morning sun, but instead can persist for days. They can also extend to greater heights than radiation fog."

Steam Fog (my favorite): "(AKA Sea Smoke) forms when cold, dry air moves over warm water. As the water evaporates, it rises and resembles smoke. This type of fog is common over bodies of water during the coldest times of the year. Low-level turbulence and icing are commonly associated with steam fog"

I really liked how they've given you the tools to predict when fog will occur, it all makes a lot of sense. It goes on to discuss how temperature, atmospheric pressure and moisture are related to weather patterns and how to predict what different land (or water) masses will impact winds and weather in the area.

Here are 3 shots from last night, all done with a canon 6d @ 70-300mm 4-5.6 lens...in order chronological order
CC always welcome!

Golden hour over hillside 2 by Shan Rimmey, on Flickr

Mountains and clouds by Shan Rimmey, on Flickr

Golden hour over hillside by Shan Rimmey, on Flickr

Edited on May 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM · View previous versions

May 06, 2017 at 12:16 AM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

Really like all the layering. Thanks for sharing!
Bob

May 06, 2017 at 05:37 AM
koarks

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

Love the way the clouds play off the patterns in the second one in particular. Nice series.

May 06, 2017 at 11:11 AM
srimmey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

Thank you everyone, 2nd one is my fav as well because of the symmetry between the clouds and the hills but number 1 had the best light for showing the layers of the hills. Im glad you guys liked them =)

May 07, 2017 at 11:51 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

#2 for me; ocean over mountains. :-)

below are the extend of my weather knowledge.

smokes from forest fires make great sunsets.

when moist warm and dried cold air collided, the results can be violent weathers such as thunder/lightning storms, tornadoes, hails, or foggy conditions.

high pressure brings blue sky, low pressure brings clouds.

closer pressure gradients, high winds. wider pressure gradients, low to no wind.

May 07, 2017 at 12:22 PM
srimmey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clouds, hills & a telephoto lens

Update! New info found relating to weather conditions

May 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.