FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Leica Q?

Spectro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leica Q?

The retailer I buy my Nikon gear from is a passionate Leica shooter but only for his personal work. He will use Nikon and Canon for his paid work. He has the luxury of being a boutique camera store owner and is an authorized Leica retailer so has plenty of access to new and used gear. To me, Leica is like scratching an itch. I get curious now and then but not curious enough to spend the premium over other very good brands. At least not yet.

May 29, 2017 at 03:46 PM
ariel777
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leica Q?

I have the same itch!! It's only a matter of time before I "Q" it up.

May 29, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leica Q?

Spectro wrote:
I get curious now and then but not curious enough to spend the premium over other very good brands. At least not yet.

another thing to keep in mind is the resale value. Leica hold up their value very good compare to canon/sony/nikon etc..

May 29, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Spectro
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leica Q?

Bubble wrote:
another thing to keep in mind is the resale value. Leica hold up their value very good compare to canon/sony/nikon etc..

Yeah, but there's two sides to that coin. Dealing with a retailer that I know very well who gets high quality low mileage gear on trade from his regular "I have to have the latest" customers or "I think I'll try this brand for a change" customers means I save thousands for almost new top end bodies and lenses because of that depreciation.

May 29, 2017 at 06:15 PM
keepsabeat
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leica Q?

I love mine and when I think I might want a camera with me to shoot the days activities without anything specific in mind, I always grab the Q just because of the size and experience of shooting it. I always am rewarded with the desicion to take it along by some great shots that might generally be missed.

May 29, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leica Q?

Spectro wrote:
Yeah, but there's two sides to that coin. Dealing with a retailer that I know very well who gets high quality low mileage gear on trade from his regular "I have to have the latest" customers or "I think I'll try this brand for a change" customers means I save thousands for almost new top end bodies and lenses because of that depreciation.

it is a stupid thing to trade in your equipment at the dealer. I'm talking about private sale.

May 29, 2017 at 07:51 PM
milkod2001
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leica Q?

Bubble wrote:
it is a stupid thing to trade in your equipment at the dealer. I'm talking about private sale.

Not really. With dealer you get 20-30% less but you get your $$$ within a few minutes ready for your next purchases. Private sale can take days or weeks till it sells and you have to waste your time by meeting with people you don't even know when trying to sell them your camera gear.

May 29, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leica Q?

milkod2001 wrote:
Not really. With dealer you get 20-30% less

i don't know which dealer would do that. Please PM the info of the dealer. I have PLENTY equipments to trade in for cash. I don't mind to trade in at 20% less (which come out the same as selling here sometime)

BH or adorma would buy back at 40% of the retail price. They need to make money on the equipment too.

May 29, 2017 at 11:00 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leica Q?

I find our Buy-Sell board to work quite well so long as you price the item fairly. The price points for a sale are quite obviously substantially more than what a reseller would pay you. I have found the process to be smooth and pleasant......free from discord and the like, with turnover typically within a reasonable period of time. Ours is a relatively closed community with the focus on honesty and integrity. Given the option, why walk away from 20-30 percent or so when there is a viable option in your own backyard?

May 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM
Spectro
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leica Q?

Bubble wrote:

Well, you assume I trade all my gear which is inaccurate. I like to buy very low mileage gear at a good discount that was traded by others. Often less than 5k shutter count which I can do in a busy weekend at an event. I often sell privately and occasionally trade when it suits my situation. I don't consider it stupid. I don't dislike Leica but I don't currently consider it worth the price they charge. I understood the premium in the film days when their mechanical cameras were beautifully crafted. It made more sense to me then than it does now when the camera is more based on sensors and circuit boards that will become yesterday's tech in a short time.

May 30, 2017 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leica Q?

The Q is good. But, I dunno if I'd say it's worth the money.

And I say that as someone who loves/owns cameras that other people would say that about (M240, GFX, etc.)

I looked at it like: it doesn't offer much over, say, an X100F, or XPro2 w/18mm. You can also get an M240 + Voigt. 28/2 if you want the "real" Leica experience, for about the same price as a used Q.

If you *really* want a point-and-shoot-esque camera with a fast (and really good) 28mm, then it's probably your ticket. But I think there are other options that are as good or better, especially if you don't shoot wide open most of the time.

May 30, 2017 at 04:15 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leica Q?

RyanFlynn wrote:
The Q is good. But, I dunno if I'd say it's worth the money.

And I say that as someone who loves/owns cameras that other people would say that about (M240, GFX, etc.)

I looked at it like: it doesn't offer much over, say, an X100F, or XPro2 w/18mm. You can also get an M240 + Voigt. 28/2 if you want the "real" Leica experience, for about the same price as a used Q.

If you *really* want a point-and-shoot-esque camera with a fast (and really good) 28mm, then it's probably your ticket. But I think there are other options that are
...Show more

The Q is not a "good" camera; it is a great one. Handling, speed, superior AF, image stabilization, fantastic lens and awesome IQ all in a relatively compact, lightweight package is something that no other camera can match at this time. But given its fixed single focal length lens, it is not as versatile as some of the other cameras that you mention. Is it worth the money? Well, that's a relative subject. Yes, the Q is expensive, but less so than other FF Leicas without lenses. In that sense, the Q is a good value. Also, if one has the financial means, then the price is not much of an issue.

So, as I see it, for those who like the 28mm focal length for general or street shooting and who have ample cash, the Q is a fantastic choice.

Rob

Jun 07, 2017 at 06:49 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leica Q?

It's a really nice camera. I was about to get one, but realized that 28mm wasn't my favored focal length. $4000 is a lot to spend on a focal length you don't love, so make sure you love that perspective. One quick way to figure that out - the iPhone camera is a 28mm perspective. Do you love that PoV? How would you feel being limited to it?

Jun 07, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Davidus

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leica Q?

What about the nice and small X100F?

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:01 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leica Q?

Davidus wrote:
What about the nice and small X100F?

I have the X100F and it is great camera, but the Leica Q is FF with 28mm Summilux is superb traveling companion if 28mm is your preferred FOV. I am keeping my eye out for a used Leica Q

Jun 07, 2017 at 11:47 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leica Q?

robgo2 wrote:
The Q is not a "good" camera; it is a great one...
Rob

Nothing like a plate of half eaten food to convince me of that.

Jun 07, 2017 at 01:46 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leica Q?

ckcarr wrote:
Nothing like a plate of half eaten food to convince me of that.

Hey, I'm glad you like it. That photo was taken in the Macro mode, and I showed it as an example of the Q's excellent colors, sharpness and bokeh. It is not intended to be a work of art.

Rob

Jun 07, 2017 at 04:43 PM
low325
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leica Q?

Rent rent rent! Then buy

Jun 07, 2017 at 11:46 PM
saxguy

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leica Q?

robgo2 wrote:
Hey, I'm glad you like it. That photo was taken in the Macro mode, and I showed it as an example of the Q's excellent colors, sharpness and bokeh. It is not intended to be a work of art.

Rob

Rob, what WB did you use for that? I am heading to an event in January with a bunch of amazing chefs and am toying with the idea of just keeping a grey card with me to make sure my food photos look their best. If Auto WB is producing those results I'm not sure a I'll have to.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:54 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leica Q?

saxguy wrote:
Rob, what WB did you use for that? I am heading to an event in January with a bunch of amazing chefs and am toying with the idea of just keeping a grey card with me to make sure my food photos look their best. If Auto WB is producing those results I'm not sure a I'll have to.

Well, the plates will most likely be white. So as long as you get some portion of the plate within your frame, and assuming you are shooting raw, fixing the WB in post should not take more than a couple of seconds. So, yes, a grey card may not really be necessary...

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:05 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password