New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Leica Q?

trevanian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica Q?

I think leica owners mean it's about satisfaction. I don't get it but I can't really explain why i love my nikon 58 either.

May 12, 2017 at 05:36 PM
cambyses
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica Q?

I have also been thinking about a small travel camera that can produce the IQ I desire and that I can take it everywhere. The Q certainly fits the bill, except for the price. I really have a hard time convincing myself to spend $4K on it. I have been thinking of getting a DF instead and using it with my smaller primes, including my MF primes. But I do really want some basic video capability in my travel camera as well. I wish Nikon had not dropped video in DF.

May 12, 2017 at 06:50 PM
recordproducti
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica Q?

I'm running M240's and 35 Cron - stunning rendering. I flip between that and the Df. The Df is way better value of course and the range of affordable MF lenses with bags of character is huge. Use your iPhone to do the video?

May 27, 2017 at 11:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica Q?

The Leica Q is an awesome camera The caveat is does come with a high entry cost. I have done a recent exercise, the RX1rII pricing in Australia is around 5400 AUD, while a used Leica Q is about 3800. The big difference is the Leica Q is 28mm and may not suit many for family shots as it maybe too wide. If funds are not an issue the Leica Q is a superb choice!

My light to go system is the XT2 and XF 18/27 lenses or the D750 with 50/1.8.

May 28, 2017 at 12:10 AM
leonasj
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica Q?

im own leica Q keeper -it is superior camera to my (both sold and never look back rx1r and rx1rii)-ultra sharp wo,superfast AF,ois,viewfinder,macro mode,3D pop,bokeh,nfc,wifi,touch screen and more and more -this is leica,,,with keepers my D810 plus 18-35g,art85,cv125,leica r apo180/2.8,300/2.8vr,tc14eiii and tc20eiii,200-500g

May 28, 2017 at 04:59 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica Q?

Personally I wouldn't pay $4250 for only F2.8 and no PDAF. You're paying a hefty premium for the build quality and the brand. Up to you if it's worth it or not. I can't imagine it's an ideal camera for kids if they are moving.

May 28, 2017 at 05:21 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica Q?

Hi Mark. The Leica Q has a f/1.7 Summilux lens that is image stabilized. The AF is probably the fastest of most of the MILC and very accurate, so it is a superb choice but at a high entry cost. I have tried the Leica Q and it is still on my radar, but I will wait awhile for the used pricing to drop further

May 28, 2017 at 05:53 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica Q?

charles.K wrote:
Hi Mark. The Leica Q has a f/1.7 Summilux lens that is image stabilized. The AF is probably the fastest of most of the MILC and very accurate, so it is a superb choice but at a high entry cost. I have tried the Leica Q and it is still on my radar, but I will wait awhile for the used pricing to drop further

You're right about the lens, I was looking at the wrong camera haha.

CDAF is still a problem for moving subjects though. Would be a very cool camera for general photos, but too much money IMHO. I understand Leica is all about the brand and not so much the technology though, so you kind of know what you're getting into beforehand. I also don't imagine too many are buying this camera for action shots.

May 28, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica Q?

@CanadaMark: Action shot at 28mm?

It is more for street photography. In general, Leica is not for everyone due to it price tag. If you have to think about the price tag then it is not for you.

Btw, if it can capture dog running around, I'm sure kid moving is not a problem.

Edited on May 28, 2017 at 07:34 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leica Q?

charles.K wrote:
My light to go system is the XT2 and XF 18/27 lenses or the D750 with 50/1.8.

cambyses wrote:
. I have been thinking of getting a DF instead and using it with my smaller primes, including my MF primes.

it is not the same. I still come back to the Q.

May 28, 2017 at 06:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rico
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leica Q?

I'm well north of $10K into Leica, but cannot justify Q pricing for 28mm alone. The idea of fixing the lens to a body makes sense to me if the price is lower and a fleet of (identical) bodies are offered: perhaps 28mm, 50mm, 90mm. The f/1.7 "Summilux" I don't need—f/2.8 is fast enough.

May 28, 2017 at 09:42 AM
leonasj
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leica Q?

CanadaMark wrote:
Personally I wouldn't pay $4250 for only F2.8 and no PDAF. You're paying a hefty premium for the build quality and the brand. Up to you if it's worth it or not. I can't imagine it's an ideal camera for kids if they are moving.

Q with 28mm f/1.7 asph lens.and no need stop down for sharpness like nikon lens.for aperture use 1.7 no need nd filters in sunny day-with shutter 1/16000 s and 10fps speed.worth every penny paid.full satisfaction from use and image quality

May 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leica Q?

$4200. !!!
Sometimes I go over to the Leica forum at DPReview just to see if someone has made a worthwhile photo with a Leica. The best thing I can see about getting a Leica is you'll begin to think even your most mundane photos are brilliant.

May 28, 2017 at 01:16 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leica Q?

Still very tempting

May 29, 2017 at 02:22 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leica Q?

chuhsi1 wrote:
Still very tempting

Why not test one in store and see if it ignites the passion of getting out and taking shots. We are all different and just have some fun. If it is for dedicated shoots/work of course the criteria is very different.

May 29, 2017 at 02:38 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leica Q?

chuhsi1 wrote:
If there was an small lightweight amazing autofocus prime in the 24-35mm range, i would probbly be happy with that and my DF. Something like the 35mm f2d, but sharper and with smoother bokeh

I know some on the forum like the Tamron 35mm f/1.8. That might be an option to look into, I quite like the rendering and would definitely consider it if it were native to E-mount.

May 29, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Leica Q?

chuhsi1 wrote:
Still very tempting

if you come down to So Cal, i'll let you borrow mine. Test it out..see how you like...

May 29, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Leica Q?

sandycrane wrote:
$4200. !!!

That is NOTHING.

Leica M10: $6900
Leica SL: $7500
Sony A9: $4500

All with NO LENS. Just the body.

May 29, 2017 at 02:56 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Leica Q?

charles.K wrote:
Why not test one in store and see if it ignites the passion of getting out and taking shots. We are all different and just have some fun. If it is for dedicated shoots/work of course the criteria is very different.

Good idea. I'll probably do this soon. There are a two Leica stores somewhat near me.

May 29, 2017 at 05:06 AM
low325
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Leica Q?

Yep. Rent it or stroll into a Leica store and try it out for free for a few hours. Yes taking a shot of a wall is worth 4K.

May 29, 2017 at 06:18 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password