New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Leica Q?

chuhsi1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Q?

My GAS is flaring for a Leica Q to bring everywhere to take pictures of my kids. Anyone here have one and care to comment on using it while also owning a Nikon system? I'm particularly curious about the Leica's AF capabilities.

To buy one, I'd most likely sell my DF and some lenses, but keep my D4S for the FPS and autofocus speed.

Crazy?

May 06, 2017 at 03:53 AM
saigon

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Q?

Get the Q and sell others as quick as you can. You will not regret to own one at all. I am that confident!!!

May 06, 2017 at 05:17 AM
sandy27000
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Q?

I bravely fought off GAS for Fuji XT-2, which is less severe problem than yours...removed the grip on the D500, and attached Nikon 20mm f1.8G to it, and pretend it's light enough...

May 06, 2017 at 05:48 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Q?

Q is a fantastic camera, compact, very lightweight, AMAZING lens, and equally amazing AF (For single shot, near instant and very accurate)

Just a very fun shooting experience having a lightweight camera around your neck that just plain gets out of the way and works.

The simple direct control layout works equally well

Very different than shooting a DSLR, with different strengths, but for sure a fun, if not expensive, tool

May 06, 2017 at 02:44 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Q?

If there was an small lightweight amazing autofocus prime in the 24-35mm range, i would probbly be happy with that and my DF. Something like the 35mm f2d, but sharper and with smoother bokeh

May 07, 2017 at 05:35 AM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Q?

chuhsi1 wrote:
If there was an small lightweight amazing autofocus prime in the 24-35mm range, i would probbly be happy with that and my DF. Something like the 35mm f2d, but sharper and with smoother bokeh

Both the 28 f1.8 or FX version of the 35 f1.8 meets that criteria.

May 07, 2017 at 11:28 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Q?

Thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping I would love them, but I had focus shift problems with the 28mm 1.8 and the bokeh on the 35mm 1.8 wasn't ideal for me. I ended up selling both.

May 09, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Q?

The Q is awesome...

I was a diehard Nikon owner... and sold nearly all of it. I loved the Q so much, I bought the SL as well. I now have 0 Nikon bodies.

May 09, 2017 at 06:37 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Q?

I was close to buying one but didn't. I got the bug for a fixed lens FF camera using an RX1RII at work. After holding the Q, I realized it would be the one to buy for me.

Thankfully (for my wallet) I got over it. I read where the Q is a gateway drug

I do wish Nikon would make one new super high quality compact prime around F2 or F2.8 going forward. They won't.

May 09, 2017 at 11:42 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Q?

chuhsi1 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping I would love them, but I had focus shift problems with the 28mm 1.8 and the bokeh on the 35mm 1.8 wasn't ideal for me. I ended up selling both.

did you give the 35 a good go? or sell it quickly?
it really is a great lens.

May 10, 2017 at 03:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Q?

What so great about the Q?

May 11, 2017 at 05:40 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Q?

> but for sure a fun, if not expensive, tool

You mean "if expensive." 'cause it is.

These days I think about Leicas the same way I think about expensive watches. Very elegant, very beautifully made, but not worth the $ for me.

Yeah, OK, so I wear a Fossil and carry a Nikon.

May 11, 2017 at 07:50 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Q?

Dj R wrote:
did you give the 35 a good go? or sell it quickly?
it really is a great lens.

I had it for maybe a year when I had a 35mm itch (Nikon 1.8, zeiss f2 twoce, sigma, and an old non-ai lens). It's a fine lens. Just didn't feel special to me like the zeiss.

Sort of like the Nikon 24mm 1.8 that I use now. Great lens for people, but not as special as the 1.4 that I wish I didn't sell.

May 12, 2017 at 02:56 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Q?

If you hadn't seen my comment in the other thread. I say go for it. The Q has become my favorite camera for being always ready camera, travel (with fantastic IQ) camera, and all around casual take out all the time camera. Sadly the Df stays at home these days due to the size of the overall package. The files and high ISO of the Df are still my favs but the Q and that amazing 28 'lux is just really good. It's a lot of money and you have no choice but to commit to 28mm. But man what a great shooting experience altogether. Leica is a slippery slope so be careful!

The elephant in the room = $$$$. So be wise! I think you'll enjoy it though based on the images you've shared. Have fun sorting it out!

May 12, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Q?

no offense to Q owner but all i hear is "get it, it is great", " get it, you will not regret", get it, great IQ.. etc.. is it really true to that or just because you just drop $4000+ to a "point and shot camera" with a red dot so you're really have to convince yourself that it is a great camera? Serious question though.

May 12, 2017 at 04:27 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Q?

^ or.....is it truly that good?

Price is subjective. it's up to the OP to see if he likes it.

May 12, 2017 at 04:35 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica Q?

I'm not talking about price. You have any sample that show the Q is that good?

May 12, 2017 at 05:02 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica Q?

Isn't photography an indulgence for many of us? I think I stated why I like mine. . Pointless to defend any brand but I will defend what I like and that doesn't mean it suits you or anyone else. I like my Df. And many hate it. Do I need to show why a Df is that good too? I say 'that good' as in that good to each their own. And it doesn't apply to any one brand. No need to take the things or of context.

Are you the guy that goes into the Le Ferrari forums and ask these types of questions?

May 12, 2017 at 05:36 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica Q?

well..i'm not asking you to defend any brand but rather to back up your statement. You said in previous thread: "fantastic IQ", "that amazing 28 'lux is just really good.", "Leica is a slippery slope so be careful! " so i thought you have some sample to back it up. I think most Q owner seem just too delusional to make suggestion toward other about the Q, make it sound so great without facts to back it up. It is more as "shit, this camera cost me $4000+, it has to be the best" so i'll tell everyone that it is great, get it.

Will having a Q will improve your creativity? taking your skill to the next level? i don't think so.

Now, back to chuhsi1 question. How is the AF of Q? It is very fast, snappy. Has multiple different modes to track your subject. It also have the digital zoom 28/35/50. It is a bit difficult to hold the camera if you have big hand. You will need to spend extra for thumbs up and hand grip. Expect the additional cost to it. Not sure what can't you achieve with your DF that you think you will need the Q?

May 12, 2017 at 04:33 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica Q?

sooo tough

anyway...have fun OP!

May 12, 2017 at 05:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register