Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Rio Lagartos, Yucatan, Mexico?

jdc562
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rio Lagartos, Yucatan, Mexico?

I visited Merida, in the Yucatan, about 30 years ago, and it was beautiful. However, I missed going to the relatively nearby Rio Lagartos with its mangroves, lagoons and abundant water birds, like the large flocks of flamingos. Have any of you photographed there? Online info indicates that one needs a small boat with guide to get to the best photo spots, the cost of which is within my budget, including hiring one just for myself. I definitely do not want a group tour and touristy side trips.

I speak Spanish, so I don't need bilingual support.

I would very much appreciate any recommendations and words of wisdom for this location, especially where to photograph and the best ways to get to those places (guide services, etc.). Also, what are the best times of year for the birds? I'd appreciate recommendations for good, secure places to stay and eat (I'm not looking for luxury.) (BTW I found the Yucatan style of cooking was especially good--light, not greasy, and full of flavor.)

Edited on May 07, 2017 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2017 at 08:26 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rio Lagartos, Yucatan, Mexico?

There are two distinct areas where you can find the flamingos in large numbers and also two distinct areas for lodging. Lots of information online for the Yucatan area. Don't overlook the Mayan ruins in the region.

May 07, 2017 at 01:21 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rio Lagartos, Yucatan, Mexico?

elkhornsun wrote:
There are two distinct areas where you can find the flamingos in large numbers and also two distinct areas for lodging. Lots of information online for the Yucatan area. Don't overlook the Mayan ruins in the region.

Elkhornsun, thanks for the pointers; from my online searches so far, I didn't know about there were two different areas of flamingos and lodging, so that's a big help--to keep on searching. Most importantly, in this forum I'm asking for the kind of information that is hard to find online: first-hand experience with guides and other logistics specifically for doing wildlife photography in that location. First-hand experience on lodging, etc., from other photographers is also more reliable for my purposes than the more general touristy, commercial, info online.

Regarding the Mayan ruins, for the benefit other FMers who may be reading this, from my long-ago trip I did know about the pyramids and similar--they are very famous and accessible. However, an eye-opener for me was the ancient Mayan sea-ports that Mexican colleagues showed me. I had no idea that the Mayans were sea-faring, nor did I know from any other source that one could go to a local fishing village and hire a fisherman and his panga (small boat) to tour these ports by water. Because the fisherman who took us out also worked with archeological anthropologists that studied these ports, he could also describe the artifacts the scientists were finding. Plus he gave us a natural history tour of the mangroves between his village and the old Mayan seaport. I have often found that subsistence fishermen know more about their part of the world than anyone else. That was one of the most interesting parts of the trip.

May 07, 2017 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.