New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Event photography

denlex

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Event photography

I am photographing an event with a political celebrity... The organizers would like me to take pics of the celebrity with as many of the attendees as possible...
I would make 5x7 or 8x10 prints to send out to the attendees...
Can someone recommend a nice way to package and send out a souvenir print?... And where to get them..
Thanks in advance...
Stan

May 04, 2017 at 08:55 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Event photography

"Nice" is a highly subjective term.
I think the real important one though is " Cost".

Here, even basic white cardboard folders cost 5x or more what the print itself does and they go north from there.
I'd consult the client as to their budget and then keep that in mind.

Most wedding album suppliers do the folders. Look them up on google and find one near you or that has reasonable prices.
Don't get all pedantic about them, there are folded and glued cardboard. Anyone that really values the pictures will frame them, the rest will probably end up in a draw and discovered every so many years the put back.

All you are really wanting is a presentation method and something to hold the pic for the initial looks. If any of the recipients really pays any attention to the folder, it means your pictures are shit because they should take all the attention straight away. ;0)

May 05, 2017 at 11:02 PM
agrumpyoldsod

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Event photography

I would question the importance of Physical Prints over providing soft copies so interested parties can post on social media.

Available on the day is probably more saleable than sent out later. I would keep it simple and limit sizes available on the day - 4 x 6 print and protective sleeve is probably good enough for most.

Sent out later -- I would simply send out in protective sleeves - the end user will decide what to do with the photo after that.

May 08, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

denlex

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Event photography

The event is a fundraiser, so sending out physical prints is a way to promote further donations to the cause...
Digital copies will be available, but the organizers want a nicely packaged souvenir print with the politician... Sent to each potential donor...
Cost is not really an issue, we want these photos to come in an impressive display package.
I have found that several album companies do provide what I am looking for.

Thanks

May 08, 2017 at 11:05 AM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Event photography

I have done Corporate events and delivered on the night and given the prints to the host company later.

I once had a major failure at a golf day and although I had a backup machine, I could not get things finished before the luncheon was over.

I Said the the guy that hired me that perhaps it could be turned around by his reps to get appointments with difficult to pin down clients. I said now they have an excuse to go visit them to give them their pictures from the day. The guy thought that was a great idea. Couple of weeks later when he rang me to see if I would do their interstate day, he said that taking the pics out had worked unreal and they had been able to build some great rapport with some of their clients whom they had been working on for a long time.

For the interstate event he wanted pretty much as the other day I stuffed up, Slide show on the day, pics delivered to them after so they could be delivered by the reps.
I was amazed they would want to re hire me after I failed at the other event which I said that to him and he laughed and said wasn't me that failed, it was the computer and they had enough trouble in the company with that to know what it was like and that it had worked out better for them anyway so as far as they were concerned it was anything but a stuff up.

You really need to be flexible and capable of having several strings in your bow so you can adapt to different client needs and situations.

It's well known though that prints are the most valued thing you can give clients. There are all matter of trinkets available to the corporate sector for these promo events but nothing has the positive reinforcement of a photo. they will throw out everything else and the CEO's and managers go to heaps of these days and get shiploads of the crap but nothing is as personal as a picture and very few people will throw them away like everything else.

A well placed Logo with the event and sponsors name is often displayed proudly in the persons office or on their desk and has brilliant retention value. If the picture is well liked it will be displayed for eternity basically no matter how old our out of date it becomes. Consequently the name of the company or organisation will be refreshed into the mind of that person every time they or the hundreds of other people look at it.

May 09, 2017 at 02:41 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Event photography

Why not have the printer drop ship them even better yet use a website similar to photoreflect.com iirc the name the clients can order everything from there or you can take the preorders and input them when you upload the images for review then you might get more orders online than you would get at the event. Plus you can always direct future clients to the site to see you work.

May 09, 2017 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password