FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Lens Suggestions

Unclejoe1116

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Suggestions

So I'm relatively new to this forum, but I'm shooting my first wedding at the end of the month. I'm working with Nikon, and I've got a D750 (backup D90) with a 70-200 VRii, a 50mm f/1.8, and I'm hoping to pick up a 85mm f/1.8 before then.

Am I missing anything major? I'm trying to stick with natural lighting, since the bride and groom don't really want to know I'm there. I've got a backup shooter lined up, and possibly a few timelapse/video backups they don't know about yet. (Figured I wouldn't tell them, in case it doesn't work out.)

I have a 11-20mm f/2.8, but it's DX. It'll work in the 18-20mm on full-frame without vignetting issues, if I need it in a pinch. (Hoping to switch that to a Tamron 15-30, but still working on the funding )

Am I missing anything major? I've been snooping around reading the threads here, trying to pick up some knowledge on wedding-specific shooting details. Is there an absolute must-have lens (other than the 70-200) for weddings?

May 04, 2017 at 02:52 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Suggestions

24-70 > rent the latest NIkkor version. Modern mid-zooms give all the versatility without any IQ sacrifices. Use the 50 when you're tired of carrying the zoom (drunk dancing in my case), use the 85 for straight up portraits, and the 70-200 when you need the reach.

Also, you'll want the ability to capture small details. Many go with a dedicated macro, while others get great results with extension tubes. The Nikkor 105 macro is awesome and erases the need for the 85.

May 04, 2017 at 02:59 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Suggestions

I think something like a 24-70 would be more useful than the 15-30. UWA lenses introduce a lot of distortion as a consequence of their angle of view.

If it's not in your budget, rent one. You can rent a 24-70 for $80 and the Tamron for $75. Rent both, shoot with both and decide which will be better suited to your purposes.

May 04, 2017 at 03:08 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Suggestions

dmacmillan wrote:
I think something like a 24-70 would be more useful than the 15-30. UWA lenses introduce a lot of distortion as a consequence of their angle of view.

If it's not in your budget, rent one. You can rent a 24-70 for $80 and the Tamron for $75. Rent both, shoot with both and decide which will be better suited to your purposes.

I'll agree, UWA for weddings have a limited use. The reality is, you're probably not going to deliver more than a handful of shots that wide. Personally, the widest thing I use is a 28mm, and sometimes 35 is as wide as I go. Additionally, I've heard that that Tamron isn't spectacular on the long end, either.

The 24-70 is the smart and correct choice for a few reasons. For starters, that is the one lens that would be most capable to shoot an entire wedding day. It looks like you'll be shooting with just one camera, so you don't want to me caught with your pants down (so to speak) with the wrong prime on your only camera. You've got portraits covered with the 70-200, so 24-70 can cover the wide end. Your 50 can be the bare minimum backup if everything breaks.

I hope the D90 doesn't need to see any action!

May 04, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Unclejoe1116

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Suggestions

BSPhotog wrote:
I hope the D90 doesn't need to see any action!

You and me both! If both of those crap out, I've got an old-school FG I can whip out and use!

Looks like it's $58-75 for the weekend to rent the 24-70. (Non-VR... Not sure if that's a big deal?)

May 04, 2017 at 04:38 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Suggestions

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
You and me both! If both of those crap out, I've got an old-school FG I can whip out and use!

Looks like it's $58-75 for the weekend to rent the 24-70. (Non-VR... Not sure if that's a big deal?)

That sounds reasonable. No first hand experience to compare the two, but the difference between the VR version and the older version is reportedly negligible.

May 04, 2017 at 05:12 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Suggestions

I would skip the 85 and stick with the 70-200 for now. You just need something wide. I'd grab a used 24-70 or a Sigma 35 Art

May 08, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Suggestions

Good advice for first couple of weddings.....
24-70 and 70-200.
You can shoot details with both lenses.

Leave the wide angle stuff as a continual growth of your vision. as in 2018....

Remember it is about the emotion of the day. crying is good unless the bride just ran away!!

-Mark

May 08, 2017 at 06:05 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Suggestions

You answered your own question.

Am I missing anything major? I'm trying to stick with natural lighting

May 08, 2017 at 07:46 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Suggestions

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I would skip the 85 and stick with the 70-200 for now. You just need something wide. I'd grab a used 24-70 or a Sigma 35 Art

You are shy on the "story telling" lens or wider side. 24-70 works ... I prefer a 35 prime but then you might need a 24 prime to go with it

55% of my delivered images are from the siggy 35 art

May 08, 2017 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Unclejoe1116

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Suggestions

So I just finished scouting the location yesterday. Wedding is at 2pm (eh, not crazy about that) but it's indoors, and the sanctuary is well-lit. Reception will be in a tent outside, so I'm hoping to avoid using any flash at all. (Caveat being during preparations in smaller rooms)

I am planning on renting a 24-70mm. I wish I could get a prime as well, but I'm just not sure it's in the budget... I got the 70-200 this week, and it has been an absolute dream to work with, especially when paired with the D750! I probably will put the 50mm on the D90, just to have a backup, but I'm guessing 80-90% of my shots will most likely be with the 70-200.

To say I'm nervous is an understatement. It's my brother's wedding, and for the budget they have, I know I can deliver better pictures than anyone else they could have gotten. Definitely gonna keep stalking the threads here trying to learn as much before the big day!

May 10, 2017 at 01:25 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Suggestions

75% or more of the pictures I take at a wedding are with the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. About 15% are with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The remainder are shot with the 14-24mm f/2.8 or the 105mm f/2 DC lens. The first two lenses are essential.

Primes makes for many more lens changes and many more missed shots and a much greater chance of dust getting inside the camera and onto the sensor. 15 years ago I had to rely on f/1.4 primes for the reception as my cameras were limited to at best ISO 800. No such limitations with current cameras.

May 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Suggestions

Get the 24-70. With the D750 you won't need flash in the morning unless it's a cave. You'll be fine, just pray you don't have to use the D90. That was my backup camera 5 years ago when I first started and I had to use it once. Not a nice experience!

May 12, 2017 at 12:10 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Suggestions

ps. get the V1 no IS version. The IS is bigger, heavier and for a wedding with people moving, IS doesn't really help much. If you have the cash just buy a used one. You'll save yourself in the long run.

May 12, 2017 at 12:11 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Suggestions

Flash is not about quantity of light (latest ff cameras shoot in the dark), its the quality you must control at a wedding, day and night.

May 12, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Unclejoe1116

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Suggestions

ai3x wrote:
just pray you don't have to use the D90. That was my backup camera 5 years ago when I first started and I had to use it once. Not a nice experience!

I'm probably just gonna put my 50mm on there, just to have something backup. If that fails, I'll pull out my FG and start snapping away haha
---------------------------------------------

ai3x wrote:
ps. get the V1 no IS version. The IS is bigger, heavier and for a wedding with people moving, IS doesn't really help much. If you have the cash just buy a used one. You'll save yourself in the long run.

Any thoughts on the Tokina? Seems to be just as solid if I'm not worried about IS/VR

May 12, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Jane Cooper

Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Suggestions

Wedding photography is a whole philosophy, I also had some struggles with lenses for wedding photoshoots. I can suggest you one website FixThePhoto, there you can find some nice articles, it really helped me)

May 23, 2017 at 08:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Suggestions

Jane Cooper wrote:
Wedding photography is a whole philosophy, I also had some struggles with lenses for wedding photoshoots. I can suggest you one website FixThePhoto, there you can find some nice articles, it really helped me)

Bring back a thread not commented on for more than a week, contribute nothing, and name drop your own website. I don't like to be negative right off the bat, but hmmmmm.....

May 23, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens Suggestions

Jane Cooper wrote:

Straight up advertising.

Nothing here to contribute.

May 24, 2017 at 12:42 AM
dorota.long

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens Suggestions

I shot my first wedding with one lens, 50mm. Not any more, now I highly depend on 70-200 for any portraits and 24-70 for reception. I also recently added 100mm macro for ring shots. I was considering getting 85 but I don't think I need it badly, what I have is enough.
With that said, in my opinion you don't need much else!

May 24, 2017 at 01:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password