Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

I borrowed some gear from CPS and went out with some friends on Sunday to photograph what we could find. We found a ton of spiders at this park. I wasn't going to change lenses - so made do with what I have. I think it turned out ok - this is full frame, resized - NO cropping

Not too bad!

Cell phone pic

May 02, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

That's funny, I also took some shots of a similar looking spider in my garden using the 500 f/4L II. Very nice.

May 02, 2017 at 10:07 PM
RazorTM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

You can throw on an extension tube or a teleconverter and make your maximum magnification even better

May 02, 2017 at 10:11 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

I sometimes try and use the 100-400 II for a macro with an extension tube. It works pretty good on flowers. I have yet to try it on anything else though. Nice shot btw.

May 02, 2017 at 10:36 PM
FotoBuf78

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

M. Best wrote:
I sometimes try and use the 100-400 II for a macro with an extension tube. It works pretty good on flowers. I have yet to try it on anything else though. Nice shot btw.

I have done this on more than one occasion. Results are quite good.

May 02, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Dragon fly supertele macro handheld

May 03, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Especially useful for those really, really, fierce spiders.

Mind you, you guys look like you'd have no trouble dealing with fierce spiders, nor with hand-holding a 600mm lens.

May 03, 2017 at 06:21 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Nice! Excellent way to make the background drop out!

May 03, 2017 at 02:47 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

This flower was at the top of a 15-foot tall tree - the only way to get a decent shot of it was with my 500mm f4 and 2x extender.

May 03, 2017 at 03:23 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

The 100-400 is fantastic for this. My favorite to date was a bunch of snow fleas in a footprint taken from whatever the MFD is (a couple feet perhaps from the objective lens).

I will say this though. Before I got the 100-400II, I carried the 100L macro with me whenever I went hiking. Now I don't. While I have some fun shots with the 100-400, I will say that I have far fewer macro shots nowadays, not carrying something specifically for it. This might change when my 35 macro comes in; the new one with the light bits.

May 03, 2017 at 04:24 PM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

That's just about as close as I'd ever go near that spider!

May 03, 2017 at 04:33 PM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

That's pretty cool! I just put two 25 ea. extension tubes together with the 100 to 400 and put it on the EOS 1 D Mark IV I can focus within 10 inches. I am dying to try it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

May 03, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Max Pain: Love the juxtaposition of your two pictures - tells a great story!

Pixel Perfect: Since we are posting dragonfly pics, here's mine ... although not shot with a super telephoto as done with a Canon 50D (!) and an 18-200 lens ... which actually makes for a decent poor man's macro. Was actually quite a challenge as when he landed on the fishing lure, the wind was moving things around - quite lucky/happy how well this one came out.

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/vacation/colorado/rocky-mountain-national-park/2009_09_06_3543-dragonfly.jpg

May 04, 2017 at 09:20 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

I don't have much in the way of spiders up here but I have shot a little super-telephoto florals from time to time....

Yukon's territorial flower the fireweed (its actually a weed but still nice)

7D2, 1200mm (1920mm FOV).

May 04, 2017 at 07:22 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Alek Komarnits wrote:
Max Pain: Love the juxtaposition of your two pictures - tells a great story!

Pixel Perfect: Since we are posting dragonfly pics, here's mine ... although not shot with a super telephoto as done with a Canon 50D (!) and an 18-200 lens ... which actually makes for a decent poor man's macro. Was actually quite a challenge as when he landed on the fishing lure, the wind was moving things around - quite lucky/happy how well this one came out.

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/vacation/colorado/rocky-mountain-national-park/2009_09_06_3543-dragonfly.jpg

What a great shot! Like the op's, too.

I had a 300 + 27.5mm tube on m4^3 the other day. Also while it's not the greatest, I use the 55-250, which is 400mm ff equivalent, quite a bit. I have used the Tamron 180 a lot, too, which is basically a 300mm.

May 04, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Not with a super telephoto lens, but with a humble telephoto lens:

May 04, 2017 at 09:25 PM
Archibald
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

From time to time I use the 100-400mm II for macro - not really macro, but somewhat closeup photography. And I get mixed results. I have observed two problems - 1) difficulty getting critical focus at times on the eyes of bugs, and 2) experiencing flare when shooting with a large aperture. The 100-400II is fine wide open when shooting at normal distances, but I have noticed that flare when working close in. That's when I yearn for my 100mm L.

May 04, 2017 at 11:31 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Archibald wrote:
From time to time I use the 100-400mm II for macro - not really macro, but somewhat closeup photography. And I get mixed results. I have observed two problems - 1) difficulty getting critical focus at times on the eyes of bugs, and 2) experiencing flare when shooting with a large aperture. The 100-400II is fine wide open when shooting at normal distances, but I have noticed that flare when working close in. That's when I yearn for my 100mm L.

Do you have difficulty focusing using AF? That would be expected I guess, with bugs there are too much details for the AF to lock on (and often details are too small to get a secure lock unless using tripod). I mostly use MF with bugs (dragonflies in my case) and over the last years the 300mm IS was my main lens. I now have both the 100L and 100-400II (and 2.8/200L with 1.4TC as a compact alternative) but haven't really used the zoom yet, because dragonfly season just started and the weather isn't cooperating. I like the 100L because it is easier to carry and handle, but I hate the limited background blur compared to longer lenses. The long lenses don't work well when it is windy or when the subjects hide between the grass and you cannot get a clear shot with a longer lens ...

In testing I haven't noticed flare on close up with the 100-400II yet, but maybe that is because I didn't try in high contrast lighting situations? (checked resolution and required shutter speed by shooting some banknotes)

May 05, 2017 at 03:44 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

Taken with the 200-400. This is a 4k screen grab so that has a 1.3 crop factor too on the 1dx mark II

12 Spotted-Skimmer by the pond by A & R Photography, on Flickr

With the 800mm

DIF by A & R Photography, on Flickr

May 05, 2017 at 05:42 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Super telephoto macro? Why not?!

They don't make a long enough lens for spiders.

That Dragonfly in Flight image above is snazzy... Look at his little landing gear all tucked up. Looks like a Piper Super Cub Float Plane!

May 05, 2017 at 08:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.