FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Videography requests for wedding

chuck77
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Videography requests for wedding

I am shooting a wedding soon for a close friend, and he has asked me to do the videography too since I have two cameras and can leave one on the tripod.

I already communicated with him that I can't be doing the videography too, but that we could find someone to help, or have members of the audience take turns on their own phones or cameras (since it's not a priority to him).

Could anyone give me pointers on what to look for in a videographer? How much should he expect to pay?

May 03, 2017 at 01:30 AM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Videography requests for wedding

chuck77 wrote:
I already communicated with him that I can't be doing the videography too, but that we could find someone to help,

Much as i'll get hung out to dry for not taking the moral/ professional highroad....

Not everyone wants the block buster production and a simple, decent recording IS what they want. I had a very significant Occasion a while back that I just wanted to have a keepsake to remember. I could have got a pro vid and in fact looked at one but that was just a confirmation of what I did not want. I had a couple of cameras mounted high up in the chapel front and back and a couple of people to turn them on and collect them when they were done and that was it.
I have in honesty only looked at 10 sec or start of the footage from each one to make sure it was all good, but that too was enough to confirm I have what I want when I choose to watch it.
I did NOT want a production of any kind, I just wanted to see what happened and hear the words and sounds.

I have done this myself several times with just mounting camera's on a trpod and had people help as well.
If your friend would just like a nice recording to hear the words and get an overall perspective, you can set the camera up on a tripod and just let it go. If you have an IR remote on your cam like the Grip on one of my SLR's you can start and stop the thing but I usually just let it go and do a simple edit on the footage afterwards.

I did one like this for a couple I shot in January. They didn't want a vid but given I had spare cameras and tripods and wanted to give them the chance to see something they may not have appreciated the value of, I set a couple up and just let them go. I got slightly upstaged by the grooms father whom positioned his Go pro on the arch above and in front of the couple. That worked real nice!

The couple liked our footage so I got the father's footage and just incorporated into my clips. It was nothing fancy at all, did it in basic software but with some music, fades and titles it looked really good and they were very happy and grateful because as I predicted, they didn't realise how much they would like it till they saw it. They also liked the fact it was still and not jumping around, had no gawdy effects that made them dizzy and didn't look like a Hollywood movie.
They wanted simple and elegant in the pictures and were pleased when the vid was the same.

I have also had people help me and that's turned out fine too. As long as you give them clear instructions what you want and they don't start getting carried away with zooming in and out or panning around fast enough to make anyone watching sea sick, it's fine.
Really all you need to do is get decent base footage and you can edit and enhance from there.
I usually tell them just to stand beside me and then I can signal what I want them to shoot and when to start and stop. A few confirmed hand signals beforehand makes things easy and hassel free.

or have members of the audience take turns on their own phones or cameras (since it's not a priority to him).

OH Dear God NO !!!!

I don't care how good Phones are these days or what they can do or anything else.
The humans holding and waving them around will make your life a living hell!

I had to edit a vid together for a family friend that got married OS last year.
A combination of the guests go-pro and phone footage.
I have never done a job that was as frustrating and I hated so much in my life. I would have handed it back to anyone else and no one could have paid me enough to suffer that.
It really was that bad. I'm far from pedantic but I was tearing my hair out in frustration and desperation.

For some reason, People seem to confuse Gopro's and Phones with magic wands and like to wave them around as if they are casting a spell or something. Their also seems to be some magnetic like force that repels the camera from the very subject it is their to film. Said magnetic attraction is however strong towards feet, Sky, backs of peoples heads and anything BUT the actual subject one would want to see.
I had I don't know how many people's footage but it was all equally pathetic. Not a single 30 Sec run of a still, straight shot in 2.5 Hours of raw combined footage of a 20 min ceremony.

I was near crying to my wife trying to figure out what the fk to do to jake this remotely watchable. I kept saying, " If only SOMEONE used a tripod and just got a nice steady, straight shot..."
Both gopro shooters and phone users did the same thing. Bridesmaids are coming in and as they pass they pan to the back of the person in front of them's head. Then they put the phone down and film their feet or their Crotch before lifting it again and doing the next BM and so on. Of course when the bride comes in, half of the people filming, forgot to, and the others were mainly looking at her and filming their feet or someones shoulder or the sky. Not one decent bit of footage of that did I get.

As the service progressed, Cameraman's droop set in. The camera angel drifts down to backs of heads or feet or tilts sideways. They they clap holding the phone or camera. Then walk around with it lifting what they want to get in quick, giddy shots befor back to the ground or their man or lady bits.

UGGGH!

People don't take or make calls on their camera so why they try to film shit on their Phone I don't know but the gopro crowd, especially the ones with selfie sticks that magnify their unsteadiness, are every bit as bad. There was footage taken on one GP of another in front on a stick where you can see the thing drifting sideways to a 45o angle before the twit holding it realises and hoist's it upright again.... Over and over and....
Again, not the devise, the pelican holding them is the problem!

Nice, steady, straight, level one take would have been infinitely better than all the garbage I got put together. Which I had to do in about 84 separate clips I think.

Trust me, Do NOT do that to yourself!
I have been tortured and suffered enough for both of us. There are only a couple of people in the world I'd wish torment like that on and you sure aren't one of them. Learn from my pain and don't go there!
A camera framed up on a tripod not waving around, filming the sky or someones feet or the backs of heads is FAR away the better option.... to the point of incomparable really.

Could anyone give me pointers on what to look for in a videographer? How much should he expect to pay?

Can't say where you are but here you would find much the same as you would with shooters. Either the pedantic types that would have to go all out to create their idea of perfection and could not boring themselves to just shoot decent footage and hand it over lest their reputation and family name be disgraced and spoken in hushed voices for generations to come, OR
you'd get a craigslister type that would be no better than Uncle George and probably through trying to be creative, a lot worse.

Have your friend ask around the family. Someone should have half a clue and know how to point the camera in the right direction and hold the bastard steady.
If not, tripod and frame the camera up and let it run and your friend will be most happy with that.

May 03, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Unclejoe1116

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Videography requests for wedding

chuck77 wrote:
or have members of the audience take turns on their own phones or cameras

Please, whatever you do, do not do this! Above all else, the thing we don't want to encourage is everyone and their brother using their smartphone (or worse, their tablet) to capture that *perfect* image.

I would say a GoPro placed in a strategic place could be decent. Maybe someone who has a decent camera can set up on a tripod at the very back? Look into where you're shooting the wedding, and see if there's any hardpoints you can mount to, especially higher up (10-15 feet high). Especially from the back, this could be a decent vantage point, without you constantly walking in front of it.

May 04, 2017 at 02:22 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Videography requests for wedding

gopro mounted on the best man via chest harness, another one on maid of honor via helmet cam

May 04, 2017 at 02:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Videography requests for wedding

Wedding clients get a little silly with "oh, can you also shoot video" requests. I had one last weekend ask us (45 minutes out from ceremony) if we could also shoot video that day. Um ... no.

Video's harder than photography but still takes a back seat in terms of customer respect. Best to avoid.

May 04, 2017 at 03:22 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Videography requests for wedding

I had a groom try to gopro record the first part of the day (since the videographer was only budgeted for the evening).

He forgot to turn it on.

May 05, 2017 at 07:02 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Videography requests for wedding

LeeSimms wrote:
Wedding clients get a little silly with "oh, can you also shoot video" requests. I had one last weekend ask us (45 minutes out from ceremony) if we could also shoot video that day. Um ... no.

Video's harder than photography but still takes a back seat in terms of customer respect. Best to avoid.

Even better I had a wedding where they wanted my video crew to stay longer and asked them to take some photos with video cameras (we use proper Sony video cameras).

May 05, 2017 at 07:45 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Videography requests for wedding

Have your friend ask around the family. Someone should have half a clue and know how to point the camera in the right direction and hold the bastard steady.
If not, tripod and frame the camera up and let it run and your friend will be most happy with that.

And whilst we're at it... have a friend or two with a half decent photo camera take some nice pictures. No silly angles or fancy lighting... I'm sure your friend will be most happy with that too.

Besides, you can always fix and enhance it later...

Oh please NO.

A good video team is like a good photographer. Get a good one and the video will sing. We're professionals and we should treat other professionals with the same respect. Don't assume like many that video is a poor relation to our legitimate art form.

May 06, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Geoff CB
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Videography requests for wedding

Video is usually (if done right) more expensive than the photography itself, unfortunately like the photo industry there are tons of beginners undercutting on cost.

May 14, 2017 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Videography requests for wedding

> (if done right)

Yeah, see, customer tastes are changing. We used to go crazy over audio (and a lot of other things) ... turns out, most people don't even want it anymore ...

Watch this one (it's pretty short) ...

h ttps://www.cinema5d.com/10-tips-cinematic-wedding-video-gh4/

Just pretty moving pictures seems to sell well in 2017. Often, the video looks EXACTLY like the stills, just with movement. Crazy. Don't have to sweat anymore to tell a story.

May 14, 2017 at 02:21 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Videography requests for wedding

I did like that vid a lot and reading their Philosophy, I like that a lot too.
The vid was upbeat, had a fresh fun and loving look to it. 10/10 for me.

BUT.....

I think it is a bit like Heiko's pics posted here a few days back.... May not be what a lot of people want for their whole Vid.
-MY- Perception having done vids as well as stills going way back is a lot of couples really want to hear the words and see whats going on for the service and speeches.
I think that's a significant part of the reason they have a vid in the first place.

2nd thing is, I perceive there would be resistance in MY market so paying the full price of a wedding vid for what many would include as the highlight Clip.
If I'm going to be there all day, I want to make the same money as I would doing the bit of extra work to fill the time in.
I don't perceive the shorter wedding would be easier to edit. Possibly a little faster but the speed of which it moves means you would want to get the great majority of your Rushes spot on to start with.

Like I say, Love the product but wonder if it would fly with the clients at a sufficent rate to equal the returns I could get with a conventional Vid Coverage?

Where I do see a market for this is in my Glam work. Make it an optional extra with the pics or a product in itself. Same again though, are people going to be prepared to pay the $1200 I make for a Glam shoot for a 3-4 Min clip?
To get an extra Maybe $300 on top of the pics, I can see flying because it's cream on top but to spend much the same time getting footage for a Clip.... That may be a harder sell.

Much harder.

I'd be prepared to put one together though and see if it flew.

May 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Videography requests for wedding

Priorities change. In 2017, you'd be surprised how many couples don't want to hear the words. Most couples would rather have some drone footage with pretty venue fly-bys in exchange of audio. Seriously.

With these new priorities, wedding videos are easier to shoot now. For us, capturing audio (and telling a story with it) added so many hours to production.

May 14, 2017 at 01:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Videography requests for wedding

Do you honestly think the video quality of a GoPro is that much better than today's smart phones? I was a wedding videographer before I switched to photo, and I offer both photo and video. I hire out my videographers, no way would I do it myself. But quite honestly, the quality of video in a smart phone these days is extremely impressive, especially when combined with these gimbals that are built for smartphones. I'd still rather have my guy shooting slow-mo with a Lumix but you can't immediately write off smart phones just like that, especially when compared to a GoPro.

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
Please, whatever you do, do not do this! Above all else, the thing we don't want to encourage is everyone and their brother using their smartphone (or worse, their tablet) to capture that *perfect* image.

I would say a GoPro placed in a strategic place could be decent. Maybe someone who has a decent camera can set up on a tripod at the very back? Look into where you're shooting the wedding, and see if there's any hardpoints you can mount to, especially higher up (10-15 feet high). Especially from the back, this could be a decent vantage point, without
...Show more

May 14, 2017 at 09:35 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Videography requests for wedding

friscoron wrote:
Do you honestly think the video quality of a GoPro is that much better than today's smart phones?

YES!

I do a LOT of slideshows for people, particularly for 18th's / 21sts.
I keep hearing about how great phones are but the reality is I ALWAYS get given complete and Utter loads of shit from Phones.
I'm still waiting to see all this marvelous quality from practical use because I'm buggered if I have so far.

Of course the other thing is not just the quality of the file but the handling of it.
Go pro files are much easier to transfer and edit -For me- Than anything from a phone.
Was at the outlaws just last night and asked to do something with some images off a phone and it was a bloody Nightmare. Granted it was crapple which always makes things Difficult ( I can hear the fanboy screams of protest already) But the mucking around to upload and download and stuff about instead of just being able to drag and drop with a GP was annoying as hell and time consuming.

Yes, it's probably OK if you have Itunes and all the latest apps and things on your phone and computer and I probably don't but the thing remains it's much easier for me to handle files from a GP than a phone.

As there is more to be done with this, I told Outlaw, Use an effing camera or you are on your own. Not frigging round with this phone crap again. I have seen what said outlaw does with GP and it's not bad at all. Phone..... Like everything else I have seen... Rubbish shot with little care and attention and looks it.

There is also the thing I maintain that people do not put nearly the same care into shooting on a phone as they do a camera. Granted many treat a GP just as badly waving them around like a magic wand but there is also a culture where people take their GP material very seriously.
They have all sorts of mounts etc and try to make it as good as they can.
I have had some crap From GP's But over all, MUCH better than I have had with phones for the simple reason people will put them on a tripod or some sort of mount rather than just hand hold and wave them around. Real camera's are much better again as people seem to recognize the importance of their image capture and put more care and effort into it not treating it as throw away.

Phones..... you are lucky to get anything where the person recording actually kept the thing on the subject .... sort of.... and didn't film the sky, their feet and anything BUT what you want to see. You can be assured that footage is completely unsteady and more often that not there would have been smudges or pocket lint or something right on the lens.

You can see what people do with phones in all sorts of clips. Vids of people at wedding and concerts and other things. Holding them up, swaying around, trying to look at the phone and what's going on.... You don't have to see what they recorded, you can tell all you need to know by watching HOW they recorded it.

Give an expert a Phone and yes, the Images/ video may be great.
In the hands of Joe and Mary average, it's garbage, pure and utter, every single time. .

May 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Videography requests for wedding

I'm talking about someone tried to handhold a smart phone and get professional level video. That's not happening. Shake... shake... shake. I'm just talking about the quality of a current smart phone. Some are shooting 4k video now. If you don't think 4k video is good, then I don't know what to say. But it's not just the phone's video capability (just like our cameras compared to a phone's camera), but it's also production value. If someone is hand-holding a phone shooting video in bad light, it's going to come out looking like crap and unuseable. If you put a new smart phone camera on a tripod just as you would a video camera, and the subject is in good light, it can come out looking great.

You're using this one example and saying all smart phones must produce shitty video, but that's not even close to the truth. Your client, or whatever, produced shitty video because they didn't have the ability to get the best out of their phone camera. It's not different than handing a non-photographer a Hasselblad medium format camera and the best lighting system, and then asking them to produce professional level portraits. It won't happen.

I'm purely talking about the capability of a current phone camera.

May 15, 2017 at 02:16 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Videography requests for wedding

friscoron wrote:
I'm purely talking about the capability of a current phone camera.

Yes, I did get your point but I still think as I said, the user can't be dismissed as they determine the final result.
The phones may be good but it's a moot point when the over whelming majority of people WON'T get near what they are capable of out of them when those same people are the target market.

I think the Blad analogy is a bit off. You are comparing a professional level product in the hands of people, amateurs, whom were never it's intended users. Phones are not aimed at professionals. They are aimed at the everyday person. When the intended users can't get good results out of a product, then I think that's a bit different.

Those that do have a clue about Vid are not going to use a phone so their capability in the real world is a bit irrelevant. Given the capable hands of a knowledgeable user, Yes, they can do a great job on their technical merits.

I would fall back to the old adage of " the results speak for themselves" and I have seen plenty of the results! :0)

May 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Videography requests for wedding

The reason I never got into the video side of things is that it's difficult to determine what clients actually want in their delivered product.

Do they want a 5min "trailer" that's highly edited?
Do they want a straight up document (cam on tripod, plus clean audio)?
Do they want drone stuff?
Do they expect a multi-cam setup?
Do they want interviews?

Because all this is going to greatly impact the price.

May 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password