New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

Blakemore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

I picked up two HMI heads on a whim at a thrift store. They do not have bulbs in them so I looked to see if I could purchase some. WOW those bulbs are expensive, especially when each head takes three.

I know HMI is used for video, but was hoping to use them in my little basement studio somehow (it's just where I mess around. I don't shoot jobs there). I have plenty of 1600 lumen LED bulbs, and was wondering if it's possible/dangerous/ stupid, to try out those LEDs in the heads? I just wanted to check with someone familiar with this type of lighting before I catch my house on fire or blow half my face away.

Thanks!

May 02, 2017 at 11:05 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

Information, information, information ...without information no-one can answer your question

How about brand name, model number and some photos.

Osram invented the HMI for use in the in the stadium lighting at the 1972 Olympics at Munich. By the late 1970s Hollywood was using HMI lighting. The first lighting fixtures, I first used, were from LTM. Then Mole-Richardson started making HMIs.

Like all short arcs, HMIs can be very dangerous, if you do not know what you are doing.

May 03, 2017 at 12:22 AM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

I've only seemed them used when I worked on films. I do recall that they had a meter and we had to pay for the time on the bulb in addition to the rental fee. This from one of the lighting guys, I myself had nothing to do with them.

I'm sure Google could help you here, they aren't really used by the still guys, which is what I did on movies.

E

May 04, 2017 at 05:12 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

Thanks for the replies @c.d.embrey and EA6B.

I've searched Google for my specific question and I haven't really gotten an answer. Most are forum posts from 2008 or so, before LED bulbs were really a thing (especially 1600 lumen bulbs), and they just say only use HMI bulbs, which is what I would expect because I could certainly see it being dangerous to put a tungsten or CFL bulb in one of those things.

I've wanted to screw around with constant lighting for stills for a while. I know 6 1600 lumen bulbs still won't be as bright as our strobes, but I like the idea of having access to constant lighting in certain situations.

@c.d.embrey, these are some older lights from Alzo Digital. I don't think they make them anymore.
Here are some photos I just grabbed from Google as well as a description from a site that apparently still sells them for $499 each. I'm sure most of that price is the bulbs. Here is the source for the info...

VLC MH-2400 HMI Light Head with 3 bulbs included
(1) VLC MH-2400 HMI Light Head
with 3 built in flicker free electronic ballasts. Silent fan cooled.
Power Adjustable 1/3, 2/3, full with constant color
Includes optional carrying handle
(3) 150 watt HMI HID 5200K metal halide bulb
(1) 12 foot power cord
Built in umbrella holder, Accepts barndoors, softboxes, honeycomb grid spot and reflectors. (see below for details)

3 LED Bulb status indicators, one for each bulb.

Fast 5 minute warm up time to full power

May 04, 2017 at 05:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

Ain't never seen one of those before. Motion picture HMIs are usually fresnels or PARs. Looks like it was designed for use in softboxes.

The globes are bargain priced. Here's some prices for HMI globes used in motion picture fixtures http://www.lightsonretail.com/bulbs/HMI/

The K5600 Joker Bug sells for north of $4,000.00

May 05, 2017 at 03:04 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

Blakemore wrote:
I have plenty of 1600 lumen LED bulbs, and was wondering if it's possible/dangerous/ stupid, to try out those LEDs in the heads? I just wanted to check with someone familiar with this type of lighting before I catch my house on fire or blow half my face away.

Thanks!

If the fixture has a built-in ballast, the answer should be no.

To power an HMI bulb, special ballasts act as an ignitor to start the arc, and then regulate it by acting as a choke http://www.lightlineelectronics.com/faq_hmi.html

May 05, 2017 at 03:46 AM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

+1 on not using led bulbs as it has a built-in inverter to convert wall ac to dc power.

hmi bulb works on the same principle as a flourescent light. that is the gas inside the bulb is excited by a high ac voltage arc between two electrodes.

more than likely, the led's inverter will be fried by the high ac voltage from the ballast.

mixing two different bulbs requiring distinctly different power input is not recommended :-)

May 05, 2017 at 04:23 AM
bka20d
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone familiar with HMI lighting?

I have worked with several brands of HMI's and while the label may say "HMI",those fixtures fixtures are not true HMI's. The socket configuration is atypical of an HMI lamp which usually has 2 pins, as opposed to an Edison
base. Also the standard for HMI lamps in terms of color temperature is 5600K; and you have a much more limited ability to dial down intensity than the specs you posted indicate.

While HMIs are generally PAR or Fresnel, as another poster indicated, there are adapters for several brands of HMIs which allow them to be used in an appropriately heat-rated softbox.

HMI's are Metal-halides and belong to a class of lights call High Intensity Discharge or HID lamps. There are many different types of lamps and bulbs which fall within this classification including the very affordable "grow" lights typically used for plants. Seven years ago there were a number of relatively inexpensive products in the market that claimed to be HMIs, that actually used other less expensive Metal-halide/HID bulbs.

I believe this is the bulb you are looking for:

https://www.adorama.com/azv150wb.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxbDIBRCL99Wls-nLicoBEiQAWroh6tvrmzQ7eLIKOtbFVZ9BemtcWKU30M4MPySdpkPORo4aAptG8P8HAQ

Since it does not list your fixture specifically, I would either call the seller direct or contact Alzo Digital (they are in Connecticut) and check it out with them. Alzo should also be able to tell you if other Edison base bulbs can be used in the fixtures.
Regards

May 05, 2017 at 01:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password