New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

I did not, as yet, order the Kirk foot. Can I have some help from those who did the switch and are happy or unhappy with the change. Just wondering why you felt the upgrade was necessary. No rush on the possible replacement.

May 02, 2017 at 04:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

I got a SunwayFoto lens plate for mine....$20
Been shooting the crap out of it for the last year,
mounted to my BushHawk. Like a rock, never retightened.

May 02, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

Well, for just US$43.23 you can get one of these, which I did, and it works very well. How can you go wrong with such a cheap price even just to try it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Collar-Support-Bracket-Tripod-Mount-Ring-f-Nikon-AF-S-200-500mm-F5-6E-ED-VR-/222324794889?hash=item33c3972609:g:NsQAAOSwj85YNsoX

However, like Trenchmonkey, I have now just slipped on an Arca Swiss plate to the original Lens Collar. I actually drilled an extra hole so as to have two screws securing it to the foot.

Edited on May 02, 2017 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2017 at 05:33 PM
JHD21

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

Have the same Sunfoto plate. Used blue lock tote on the screw, it's never moved after a year of use. Jim

May 02, 2017 at 05:34 PM
JHD21

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

Have the same Sunfoto plate. Used blue locktitle on the screw, it's never moved after a year of use. Jim

May 02, 2017 at 05:35 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

Unlike everyone else, I bought the Kirk collar and love it. Quality built, large foot and teflon lined collar for smooth lens rotation. Was in a hurry and didn't look into the other options which I'm sure work fine. The Nikon collar is ok except for the lack of an Arca foot which baffels me. My new Tamron 150-600 G2 came with an Arca Swiss foot. Go Figure.

May 02, 2017 at 07:41 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

What Lance B said, very, yes very pleased with mine.

May 02, 2017 at 08:08 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just ordered a new Nikon 200-500

runakid wrote:
I did not, as yet, order the Kirk foot. Can I have some help from those who did the switch and are happy or unhappy with the change. Just wondering why you felt the upgrade was necessary. No rush on the possible replacement.

Took long enough to get these images up

I spotted the Kirk foot on Steve Perry's desktop while watching one of his videos. I had been wanting a very large foot for some time.

This serves as a very nice handle......My glove size is XL and this handle is generous in size, there are 2 Swiss Arca grooves already tooled into the foot. Everything about it is high quality.

I have a SideKick type gimbal and after using it for about 2 years I think I am going to replace it with a standard gimbal or fluid head. Why? When I got the Kirk foot the one thing I did not like about it was that the lens did not rotate very smoothly. So I called Kirk Enterprises and they gladly got a replacement to me right after I returned the original one to them. As you might expect, they are nice to work with.

Anyway, after I used the replacement for awhile I came to the conclusion that I would just live with this less than real smooth rotation.

Then I realized it was caused by the side mounted gimbal. The pressure or weight from the lens/body was not going down through the foot but rather putting a force on it at a right angle....causing the collar to somewhat bind. I experimented and discovered the rotation was quite smooth enough when I rotated the entire assembly so that the weight of the lens/body was passing downward onto the base of the foot.

It is expensive but it holds up expensive equipment.

May 04, 2017 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.