FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

e6filmuser
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

CPWarner wrote:
While many may know this, I had to dig a little to figure out focus peaking with the Laowa as it has no electrical connections with the camera. One has to assign focus peaking to a function button in order for it to work. If one just turns on focus peaking in the menu it does not work. It is unfortunate that they do not have at least some info sent to the camera, but that is probably how they keep it so small and light.

Focus peaking is nothing to do with electrical connections between lens and camera. I use it with legacy film lenses all the time. My A7R has it on all the time unless I switch it off it in the menu. I had to allocate a button on my EM-1.

Harold

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:29 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

e6filmuser wrote:
Focus peaking is nothing to do with electrical connections between lens and camera. I use it with legacy film lenses all the time. My A7R has it on all the time unless I switch it off it in the menu. I had to allocate a button on my EM-1.

Harold

Maybe I was too brief in what I wrote, so let me try again being a bit more thorough. I agree that the electrical connection should have nothing to do with it, but it does in that there is a difference in activating focus peaking when electrically turning on manual focus with an electrically connected lens versus all manual lenses (legacy glass or new all manual such as the Laowa). The Olympus EM1 MKII treats these cases differently.

With an autofocus m/43 lens, for example the Olympus 60mm macro, if I have focus peaking turned on in the menus the instant I go to manual focus focus, peaking turns on. Similarly, with all my other autofocus m4/3 lenses, I leave in on in the menus and it simply works by switching to MF. Having focus peaking on in the menus does not have the same result with all manual lenses such as the Laowa. With legacy glass it senses a lens is there, but you have to turn on focus peaking with a button. Trying to turn in on in the menus will not turn focus peaking on.

While I get your point in that the lens has nothing to do with where the data for focus peaking comes from, the fact is that legacy glass, or in this case a new all manual lens, requires a extra step. People looking at this lens who do not regularly use legacy glass might want to know that and how to access that feature. That is why I brought it up.

My last point was that it would be nice if there was a minimum electrical communication between the lens and the camera so it would record what the focal length and aperture is for meta data. Obviously one can correct that later on to some degree, but that is a nuisance. I was also wondering if there was electrical communication between the lens and camera we would not have to bother with having to separately dedicate a function button to turn on focus peaking. I.E. would it treat it like the case where MF is selected for an autofocus lens. Hope that helps to clarify.

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:34 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

CPWarner wrote:
My last point was that it would be nice if there was a minimum electrical communication between the lens and the camera so it would record what the focal length and aperture is for meta data. Obviously one can correct that later on to some degree, but that is a nuisance. I was also wondering if there was electrical communication between the lens and camera we would not have to bother with having to separately dedicate a function button to turn on focus peaking. I.E. would it treat it like the case where MF is selected for an autofocus lens.
...Show more

Highly desirable indeed. Dream on!

As for turning on Focus Peaking, it is good to be able to turn it off in mid shot as it can be a nuisance, at least with macro lenses.

Harold

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

CPWarner wrote:
While many may know this, I had to dig a little to figure out focus peaking with the Laowa as it has no electrical connections with the camera. One has to assign focus peaking to a function button in order for it to work. If one just turns on focus peaking in the menu it does not work. It is unfortunate that they do not have at least some info sent to the camera, but that is probably how they keep it so small and light.

I don't know which camera you have, but with the GX8, focus peaking switches on when I switch to MF, regardless which lens is mounted, also those without any electrical contacts, and as long as it's turned on in the menu.

Edited on Jul 05, 2017 at 01:20 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:08 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

e6filmuser wrote:
Highly desirable indeed. Dream on!

As for turning on Focus Peaking, it is good to be able to turn it off in mid shot as it can be a nuisance, at least with macro lenses.

Harold

One piece of information that the camera actually records with lenses that have no contacts is the focal length, or at least Panasonic cameras with IS do, since the camera will ask for the focal length once you mount such a lens or switch the camera on with such a lens mounted. That would be very helpful, and I it's something that should be suggested to Panasonic.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:19 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
One piece of information that the camera actually records with lenses that have no contacts is the focal length, or at least Panasonic cameras with IS do, since the camera will ask for the focal length once you mount such a lens or switch the camera on with such a lens mounted. That would be very helpful, and I it's something that should be suggested to Panasonic.

That only happens if you set the FL in the menu. I have my EM-1 on 105mm, which is over-ridden but any fully-wired lens.

Harold

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:34 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

e6filmuser wrote:
That only happens if you set the FL in the menu. I have my EM-1 on 105mm, which is over-ridden but any fully-wired lens.

Harold

On Panasonic cameras with IS, you don't have to set it in the menu. The camera will always ask about the focal length when switched on with a non-wired lens mounted.

Jul 05, 2017 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CPWarner
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

I am using an EM1 mk2.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:01 AM
tweggers
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

I have the new lens. It's a great lens. I've shot star trails and landscapes also. My EM-1 MKII "s focus peaking works perfect and I love this lens

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:59 AM
Henning

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

I got mine a couple of days ago and have been shooting various things with it to try it out. Even at f/2 the quality is quite good and by f/2.8 about the same as the Panasonic 7-14 to the corners. No decentering noticeable. It's easy to correct the barrel distortion and vignetting in LR when required, and focussing with magnification works well also. I've tried it on my EM-1 Mkii but have been using it mostly on the GM5, and carrying it with the 12-32 and 35-100 f/4-5.6's. What a tiny kit!. I haven't used the filters much yet but they seem to be of decent quality.

As I have a lot of other cameras and many, many lenses I'm quite used to manual use on these cameras.

What an impressive achievement at the price and size. My Panasonic 7-14 isn't going to come with me much anymore.

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:39 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

Reversed onto m4/3 gives very good macro FOV 3mm x 4mm, working distance about 12mm.

Harold

Jul 30, 2017 at 05:25 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

Any samples yet? : ) This makes a GM5 look incredibly appealing for me.

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:53 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Laowa 7.5mm F/2 for pre-order

austinschutz wrote:
Any samples yet? : ) This makes a GM5 look incredibly appealing for me.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1498521/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502033

Harold

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password