Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking to buy new computer... iMac or MacBook Pro?? Please elp me decide

DeniseT

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to buy new computer... iMac or MacBook Pro?? Please elp me decide

iMac has better display, speed & storage but heard new ones coming out this Fall. Laptop definitely more convenient What would you buy??

May 02, 2017 at 02:08 AM
dugaut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to buy new computer... iMac or MacBook Pro?? Please elp me decide

I also was in this situation and recently bought a slightly used macbook pro from another FM member.

I was torn not so much with the computing power of the imac but the 5k screen. I decided after looking at my workflow and habits that portability was my top priority.

The last generation macbook pros can't be upgraded so beware. Still, 16gb of ram and a discrete 2gb video card should hold me for awhile.

I also have a core i7 windows 10 desktop with 12gb of ram and the macbook pro is better in terms of processing. I have owned windows and macs for years and it seems the mac operating system is more efficient and easier to recover from a disaster.

This macbook pro will drive an external 4k screen so you could still have a fairly nice monitor but not the 5k but at and additional cost.

I don't think you can upgrade the hard drive on the imac without taking off the screen and there is a decent upcharge for a 512mb ssd which is what I have in the macbook pro I now have.

Portability in my personal workflow and more powerful laptops these days is how I decided it.

I'm running Lightroom and PS, I cull my photos in Photo Mechanic, and it works well. I had photoshop put together 8 photos from a 5DSR into a pano while working on other apps and had good luck.

May 02, 2017 at 04:49 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to buy new computer... iMac or MacBook Pro?? Please elp me decide

Welcome to FM Denise!

That is a very hard question for someone else to answer, not knowing your situation, requirements, finances etc... I will suggest to highly consider going to the 'top of the line' no mater which you decide. What is the best today will be far from current in 5 years. Definitely i7, fastest Ghz and an SSD. What size of SSD depends on a number of things. You can edit on either but there is no question it's better on the 27" iMac You'll have to prioritize your needs to determine whether portability trumps having a desktop. It was easy for me since I shoot a lot of sports along with other venues. I have both the iMac 27" 5k and the latest MBP 13". Best combo I've ever had. If going the desktop way and can wait just a bit, I would suggest going for the new one coming out later this year. Current design is already 2 years old and expect the new ones to be significantly improved.

JMTC
Matt

May 02, 2017 at 07:52 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.