FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

This bug is challenging because it rarely stays still for long. However, the main problem that it is rather stout. it is domed and it is broad. Either of these characteristics would eat up DOF but the two together make even f22 or smaller scarcely adequat at most angles of view. Diffusion blur starts to show but can be dealt with by special software.

This one appeared when I was photographing a midge. When close to the tip of my finger it would reach up and try to climb on.

As with the previous set, these were shot on a plastic shed, a little above head height. To get low angles I had to be careful where my arm, of the hand supporting the second flash, was placed.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, Raynox MSN-202 (25 diopters), twin TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

May 01, 2017 at 01:46 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

Not bad but to my eye they are suffering from too much processing in the form of noise reduction and sharpening.
You really can't regain information lost because of diffraction softening/ noise reduction using PP.

Brian V.

May 01, 2017 at 03:01 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

LordV wrote:
Not bad but to my eye they are suffering from too much processing in the form of noise reduction and sharpening.
You really can't regain information lost because of diffraction softening/ noise reduction using PP.

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.#

NR was normal. There is always some, but never much with flash.

Yes, I have given localised additional sharpening, something which I don't normally use, on the OOF thorax in particular. I probably used a bit too much.

A tiny amount of microcontrast, rarely used, was applied. That reduces diffraction blur which is not a true representation of the subject.

Harold

May 01, 2017 at 04:09 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

Nice Harold ~ Ron

May 01, 2017 at 07:18 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

surfnron wrote:
Nice Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

Harold

May 23, 2017 at 01:55 AM
DLeeT

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issus coleoptratus Nymph: Better Images

Well done.

May 23, 2017 at 06:15 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.